mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Buying my first MTB.

Hello there biking fellas.

I'm a newbie in mbt biking and in the market of buying my first "real" bike. I figured i'd get a proper bike from the beginning instead of wasting money on a cheapie and then upgrading.

I figured id post here in the Gary Fisher forum because i have read a lot of good things about the bikes and i got my eyes on a 2005 MTB Gary Fisher Cake 4 dlx, it comes with some extra tires(Bontrager Hank, asphalt tires) and some extra parts.

Im now wondering if there are any bikers out there who own this model and have good or bad things to say about the bike, i will of course testride the bike properly but since im new to mbt biking it would be nice to have some extra info before purchasing a bike.

The guy who is selling it wants 650 for it, he says the retail price was 2099, seems like a bargain to me.

So any info on the bike would be much appriciated.

(Sorry for my bad english, i am from finland)

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Test it, it is a somewhat older design and I think 2005 was the last year they made them.
    Know that the bike has no warranty to anyone other than the first owner.
    Check the website and make sure it is indeed a 2005 and not an earlier model. (Bike Archive is a link on the bottom of the page.)

http://fisherbikes.com/
    http://fisherbikes.com/bike/archivemodel/135

I can't really comment on how they ride as I only test rode a few back in 2004 or so. As I recall there was some noticable pedal bob but that might have been the Sugar instead of the Cake and the shock might not have been set up correctly.

If the parts are worn you may still be paying to repair instead of upgrade. That said, I think getting a good bike from the start is a good thing if you are going to ride. If it is a coathanger it doesn't matter.