mtbr member
    Dec 2012

New question here. Buying my first GF (and first mountain bike!) - 2008 GF Hifi Deluxe 29er

I'm looking at a 2008 Gary Fisher Hifi Deluxe 29er on craigslist. Asking price is $900 (dropped from $1000). It will be my first MTB so any thoughts/comments are welcome.

It's stock except for the following:

brand new Mavic M 317 rims Deore Hubs
    brand new Easton seat post
    brand new WTB seat
    brand new Hope QR seat clamp

If the bike is in overall good condition (ad claims "tires are like new"), should I bite? Seems to be a good deal even at the asking price, but I am not exactly sure on how the resale value holds for FS bikes. Should I offer something lower? Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Buying my first GF (and first mountain bike!) - 2008 GF Hifi Deluxe 29er-3i63lf3h15ne5h15jccb137b66e7cb6971df0.jpg  

Last edited by davidlax12; 12-08-2012 at 07:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Price seems a little high. I bought a 2009 for my wife a year ago for 900.00 with X9 parts, new wheels and only a few rides. I have heard of the rear triangles braking on some and the lifetime warranty only follows the original owner. She has ridden her bike a lot since we got it and has had no problems.

Warrior's Society
    Sorry, but the "new" parts that are the bike are all cheap upgrades. They don't really add any value above the stock parts they replaced.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

lamer
    Quote Originally Posted by dlennard View Post
    Price seems a little high. I bought a 2009 for my wife a year ago for 900.00 with X9 parts, new wheels and only a few rides. I have heard of the rear triangles braking on some and the lifetime warranty only follows the original owner. She has ridden her bike a lot since we got it and has had no problems.
    I'm probably a little late on this, but I'd say stay away from this particular model. My friend has this exact same bike, and the rear triangle cracked near the BB and at the rear of the chainstay a few months ago. For the age, the bike had very, very little miles on it (he only put 8 total miles on it one year, for example.) The LBS even said this is a pretty common problem as this was GF's first 29er frame. I can't comment on the warranty as he's the original owner, and it's still sitting at the LBS, waiting to hear back from Trek.