mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Build quality 07 Caliber 26er vs. 09 Hi Fi 26er

Hi all,

Need some advice. Here's the story. Got back into mtn biking after a 10 year lay off. Rode from 1988 to 1998 on a Ross & an HK II.
    In 2009 I bought a left over 2007 Caliber. I ride rough singletrack at a pretty fast clip. Don't catch much air though. Wheels down and hauling is my style. While I LOVE the Calibers razor handling I'm now wishing for more than the 80mm of travel. Especially since I'm 51 with a cranky back & neck. (I know I've got lots of company in this regard!).

So, I'm eyeballing a new 2009 Hi Fi 26er. Standard model, nothing fancy, for the give a way price of 1K. I notice that it's made in Taiwan while my Caliber has a stickie proudly proclaiming "Handbuilt in the USA of foreign & domestic parts". Should I have any concerns? I know the Taiwan factories can build awesome bikes. Is the 09 Hi Fi going to be the same quality bike as my Caliber? I'd like to think that's going to be the case, but wanted some opinions.

Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Honestly I would be weary of buying a GF used due to the frame cracking issues they have had and they only honor the warranty for original owner. I had an 08 hifi deluxe 26er and it cracked at the carbon drive-side stay... Trek warranty was awesome and got me a new rear triangle asap but still. If you read a bit on the forums there have been a lot of issues GF's and cracked frames this and I believe the issue has carried over to the 09 HiFi's as well. They lost the carbon rear for the 2010's so hopefully this has been resolved.

Depending on the model of the hifi you are looking at (plus deluxe, pro) 1k might not be an awesome deal (IMHO), a local shop was blowing out the 09 Plus 26er's for $1399 new with warranty to give you a perspective If it was a deluxe or Pro, I would say it might be worth it without the warranty but the plus you might be able to get a better deal somewhere. Might ask if it's a warranty replacement frame on 08 parts too, I have seen a lot of GF's on craigslist that were warranty replacement frames with a previous years parts. Just buyer beware really, I bought a used 09 GF Rig because it was a steal and the lower price was worth going without the warrant and I have ridden the crap out of it and it's holding strong.

As for the overseas quality.. A lot of bikes come from Asia and I think the build quality can be as good. Ex. My 08 USA HiFi cracked and my Asian Piranha and Rig have not.. does that mean anything, I don't really think so. There are plenty of reputable bike companies that that build their frames in Asia, for some it comes down to moving American jobs overseas and some people want their bikes to be USA for that reason but that's a different thread....... just my $.02

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    The Hi Fi I'm comtemplating is a standard model. It is new for 1K and will have a full warranty.

Has there been warranty problems since Fisher has now become the "collection" within the Trek company?

Just wondering....

mtbr member
    If you got a warranty I'd say that's a good deal (others chime in??)... as long as it fits and you like it of course...You should enjoy the new features the hifi has over the caliber.

Regarding the warranty with the now " GF Collection", I guess time will tell. I know a lot of people with orders out for them but I have not seen any delivered yet, I don't think too much will change since Trek will still be handling it and they are usually pretty quick at taking care of things. I do know the warranty for the FS bikes have changed though. I recently received in an email from Trek that 2010 was the last year GF FS bikes will be lifetime warranty on the entire frame for the original owner, and changing lifetime only to mainframe and 2 years on the rear triangle. His reasoning was that if there were any problems in the rear triangle they would fail with in two years... still though, that reason alone made me go get a 2010 Hifi rather than ordering a 2011 Trek branded Hifi .

mtbr member
    At that price and the fact that you get a new warranty, I would jump on it without hesitation as long as you are happy with the components and the fit is right. I am assuming it is the low end model, so it depends on if you want a better fork or other components. Even then, the price is low enough to allow upgrades and still come out ahead.

I won't speak to the build quality differences because I don't know. There have certainly been frame problems with the HiFi series, but the warranty is good. It depends on if you want the hassle of dealing with the wait for replacement should something happen.

I ride a 2008 HiFi 29 and have had zero frame issues to date but others have broken chain stays and posted about it on the forums. GF has been good about honoring the warranty, but some have had to wait a while depending on availability.
    Last edited by BumpityBump; 07-20-2010 at 04:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks for the input fellows. I went ahead and pulled the trigger. I'll pick her up tomorrow.

The fit is fine and I can live with the components. I think that this bike will give me a nice platform to upgrade in the future. That'll be fun.

Now to see how 120mm of travel works compared to 80. I think I have a pretty fair idea. I can't wait!