Thread: Budget GF Build

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Budget GF Build

So, here this last summer I decided to get back into mountain biking since I haven't ridden since I was a teenager. However, Im a single dad now so my budget it tight! Well I bought an old trek 3700 for $150 off CL and enjoyed it but wanted something a little better so I sold it on CL and found an 06 Gary Fisher Piranha with disc for, get this, $150. Ive been riding it and another On-One Inbred I got for $225. The GF fits me like a glove, a little better then the Inbred, so I've decided to upgrade it and have some good parts on hand for when I can afford a better frame.

This is what Im starting with:
    Budget GF  Build-20131201_235334.jpg

After I finally decided what I was going to do, I completely disassembled the frame:
    Budget GF  Build-20131203_000613.jpg

I hated the paint job on this frame...no offense Gary Fisher, just not my style. Since I do paint and body work for a living, I decided to paint it. So like any good employee, I decided to prep it during work hours, since were slow and I work on straight commission :
    Budget GF  Build-20131203_171421.jpg
    Prepped

Budget GF  Build-20131204_164120.jpg
    Primed

I am going to paint it that really bright metallic green you see on the newer camaros. Hopefully ill get it done on Monday and ill post pics as soon as I can. Oh, and the paint job will cost me absolutely $ZERO, my boss kind of owes me a favor .

Like I said I am on a BUDGET! So Ive been doing all my shopping on CL and mostly EBAY. Heres a list the parts I have for it (or I have ordered) that I plan on using until the need arises to replace them:

Rock Shox Tora RS 100mm Fork, came with On-One
    26" Mavic 321 disc rims with Shimano XT hubs wheelset w/ brand new Maxxis High Roller tires, Ebay $136
    Easton Monkeylite XC Handlebar, CL $30
    Easton EA30 Stem, CL $10
    Avid BB7 Mechanical Disc brakes with levers, came with On-One
    Ashima AiRotor 160mm rotors, Ebay $10
    Race Face Evolve XC seatpost, came with On-One
    WTB Pure V saddle, CL $15
    Shimano XT RD-M772 rear derailleur, Ebay $47
    Sram PC971 chain, bike store...freakin $35!
    Shimano SLX M660 3x9 shifter set with cables, Ebay (brand new!) $45
    Shimano XTR M960 175mm triple crankset with bottom bracket, Ebay $96
    Jagwire Brake and Shifter cable set Brand new, Ebay $22

so that adds up to $446 give or take, and most of those parts I could transfer (if I dont destroy them...)

So, what else do I need? a front derailleur to replace the Shimano Alivio one that came with the fish, a 9spd cassette to compliment the XT rear mech and the XTR crank, new grips, a seat post clamp, and ill be going tubelesss for sure...those are next on my list.

If anyone has any input or suggestions, I would love to hear It! I enjoy working on my bike as much as I enjoy riding it. Plus, its way more affordable then having a project car! Let me know what you think and Ill Update after I paint and start re-assembly.

-Dell

Trying not to kill myself
    Can't beat the $$ outlay on that one. Looking forward to seeing the new paint.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Well, I got my frame painted today, and I must say it looks SWEET! Beautiful green, with just the right amount of metallics.

Budget GF  Build-gf-green.jpg

Budget GF  Build-gf-green2.jpg

I will post more pics when I'm done building it back up. I cant wait for my XTR crank to get here! Now time to press in the headset...and hope it doesn't chip.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Got a few things built on the frame last night, still waiting for XTR crank and had to buy an adapter for my new front wheel and since I bought it on eBay, he didn't say it was a 15mm axle...maybe I should've done more research. Oh well it will have to do for now. Anybody used a 15mm to standard QR adapter?

Budget GF  Build-gfcmintogether.jpg

I got my brakes and new shifters installed and ran the new braided Jagwire cables. They look so good! I don't think Ill ever use black cables again.

Budget GF  Build-gfbraidedcables.jpg

Managed not to chip or scratch anything while installing the headset and brakes. Only damage Ive seen is where I mounted my old Alivio front derailleur so I could keep the shifter cable tight....I might have to keep using it for a while, at least until after Christmas.

Anyways, the bike is looking beautiful but I sure cant wait to get out on the trails again!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Looks really nice! Love the color.
    Blur LT & Highball

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Thanks for the support! I finally got to ride the Piranha today, even though it was only around the block to run it thru the gears and stretch the cables a little. Here's what I have as of today!

Budget GF  Build-20131214_170851.jpg

Budget GF  Build-20131214_171022.jpg

She's looking beautiful, and the XTR crank is soo light and smooth. Even though I bought it pre-loved, its probably my favorite addition. Mixed with the Xt derailleur and new SLX shifters, it shifts great and pulls nicely. I'm not really impressed with the SLX shifters...and ill probably keep an eye out for some good used XT shifters, eventually, but they'll do for now. And I love the bb7's they stop excellent with decent modulation, but I wouldn't mind trying to find a good pair of lightweight hydro brakes for the low...but who wouldn't?

Budget GF  Build-20131213_073045.jpg

Budget GF  Build-20131213_073052.jpg

Overall, I'm very pleased so far! I figure I have about $750 in it and weighs 28.2lbs with pedals! And I should drop a little more weight when I get my tubeless set up, XT front derailleur I just ordered for $12! and XT cassette.

I'm thinking about springing for some flat pedals and some 5.10 shoes cause Ive hurt myself too many times while being clipped in, just not as comfortable for me. Any suggestions? And I may try to rebuild my RockShox fork myself...but I'll have to do some research on that first...

Anyways there it is for the most part, let me know what you think and please don't hesitate to make any suggestions!

Trying not to kill myself
    Great to see a bike that could have been on the way to the scrap heap turned into such a cool ride. Awesome job!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Thank you! It will definitely do what I need it for. At least until I get more into it. Sure is fun building them up too! I cant wait to post some trail pics!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Nice bike. That's how I started out. Got on old Trek for free, and upgraded with used parts. You beinga body man, your paint looks better than my spray bomb job though. LOL.
    Only thing I could suggest is painting the fork to match for a completely custom look.
    I've heard nothing but good about BB7 brakes. Unless you really came across a steal on some hydros, I wouldn't bother.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Thank you! I actually have thought about painting the fork to match & ive been doing alot of research on how to service it and that envolves removing the lowers so I might just do it then. And yes I really like the bb7s, soo easy to adjust on the fly. Great advantage!

I took her out this past Saturday after the rain storm and pounded some very muddy local trails and once I got readjusted to the bike and new components, it was a blast. The bike and I got completely covered in mud and gunk. Good thing about fresh clear coat, after a quick hose down, looks like brand new again. Im loving this rig.

Also when I got home from that ride, in front of my door was my new XT cassette and XT front derailleur. Got both shipped for under $50!! Already installed and ready to take them out after Christmas!