mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Broken swing arm/08 hifi 29er?

Well the swing arm on my 08 hifi 29er deluxe broke right in front of the drop out for the wheel. My question is what can I expect for a replacement,an updated swing arm or one from a rumblefish any one hear what people have been giving as a replacement this late in 2010.Oh and I am the original owner and this is my first time I ever broke a bike so I have no idea what they (lbs) is going to give me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Probably a new HiFi frame. I doubt they have any swingarms left to give you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    So will everything transfer over to the new style frame.

Plastic homer
    Quote Originally Posted by bankofdad
    So will everything transfer over to the new style frame.
    Yeah, you have a G2 bike, so the fork works - they'll need to adapt for the taper in the head tube.

Everything else should go right over.

The cockpit will feel shorter, but climbing will be easier. Have a ball!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Thanks,Moval49er for the info .

Plastic homer
    You bet - I broke my '08 and they promptly sent a new swing arm - no issue since.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I am going to the shop tomorrow and will post how I made out,Does trek offer a deal on another bike vs giving you a frame.I ride mostly trails like this and would like a rummblefish instead another hifi

recovering roadie
    I think they offer you a deal of 20% any bike you want, or whatever replacement they offer you. I cracked a swingarm in May, and they sent me a new swingarm. A friend of mine cracked a swingarm in April, and they sent him a new 2010 frame. Didn't make any sense to me...

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I broke my 08 HiFi swingarm in July and was told no more swingarms available. I was given a few choices for a replacement frame, 2010 Rumblefish, HiFi and something else I think in 26". I am getting 2011 HiFi Pro, still waiting for it. I neede to purchase a new headset adapter for the tapered tube, front derailleur and a ABP skewer.

Plastic homer
    Quote Originally Posted by bankofdad
    I am going to the shop tomorrow and will post how I made out,Does trek offer a deal on another bike vs giving you a frame.I ride mostly trails like this and would like a rummblefish instead anotther HiFi
    With all due respect ( and a lot is due - that is gnarl riding) that is not HiFi country. I ride mine at mammoth and would have trouble on your trail on my HiFi. Rumblefish is a long travel HiFi, for the most part. Nothing about the 2010 Hifi/Fish is going to last better than your 2008 in that stuff. They are tough and will take a lot - but, they are not "big hit" bikes".

Get the HiFi replacement for your XC work. Get a Lenz Lunchbox, a Pivot 429 or something similar that will take a punch.

Ride on!

T
    Different bottom bracket too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tdailey
    Different bottom bracket too.
    As long as his current crank has an external BB which I assume it does, it will work fine with the new BB.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    LBS called to tell me I am getting a 2011 rumbelfish II frame thanks for everyone's input.

mtbr member
    i've broken 4 hifi swingarms. another broke yesterday right in front of me. went from '08-'08-'09-'09 (hifi's)-'10 Rumble *sold*

On a new rig now. Seems to have a mis aligned rear end straight out of the box. And junk rear hub/wheel that looses everytime I ride it.

I know there's alot of GF love out there, especially in the xc community, but I've had nothing but failure after failure.

I'm about done with Trek/GF.
    "My Fat Hurts." - Me

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Guys,

For those of you that have any broken swing arms, trek/ gary fisher no longer has any arms for 08 hi fi's and likely will deny any warranty claims at this point. I recently had a swing arm that broke on a trailunder compression forces (I had the shock locked out and I'm reasonably big guy - 6'6", 210). I know this because I heard a snap when I landed after a small 2-3 jump. Unfortantely, Trek will comply with warranty b/c they believe it was impacted due to some scatches. Hell, any 4 year old bicycle has scratches!! I have been completely honest about my experience and they still deny warranty!! I don't care about a new frame, I'm just asking for them to pay to fix the swing arm! Anyway, in summary Trek/ GF seems to have changed their business philosophy so BEWARE!!!

mtbr member
    IS there current models that the HIFi Deluxe swing arm fits? I just broke mine yesterday and not in any position to buy a new bike. And, really disappointed if they don't supply parts for an obvious failure direct out of manufacturing..

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Trek/ G.F. Warranty

If it is pre-09, then they won't have any swing arms that fit it. They changed the style b/c they had issues with it. It's interesting to find out that they ran out of swing arms years ago. This tells me two things, they tried to reduce cost on fabricating replacement parts and it broke more than they anticipated. Sorry, bud.. there are some bike frame repair places on the internet, but it will cost you...

Thanks Trek !!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Followup

I know these are old bikes... but anyone know if a 09 rear swing arm will fit on a 07 hifi?

Quote Originally Posted by bmhitch2000 View Post
    If it is pre-09, then they won't have any swing arms that fit it. They changed the style b/c they had issues with it. It's interesting to find out that they ran out of swing arms years ago. This tells me two things, they tried to reduce cost on fabricating replacement parts and it broke more than they anticipated. Sorry, bud.. there are some bike frame repair places on the internet, but it will cost you...

Thanks Trek !!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kweeseco View Post
    I know these are old bikes... but anyone know if a 09 rear swing arm will fit on a 07 hifi?
    I don't think there were any 29" Hifis in 2007.

2007 Bike Archive - Trek Bicycle

2008 and 2009 frames are the same, bar the colour/decals.

2010 models went to ABP (active brake pivot).

If you have access to a 2009 swing arm that you can't use, we should talk!