Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Broken hifis

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Broken hifis

I know this has been in other threads but my question is how common is this.My 09 hifi broke for the 2nd time and the lbs ,which I have no complaints with has told me there is a shortage of replacement parts.It has been over 2 weeks and Iam still waiting for a replacement seat stay.
    Any other people with similier experiences

mtbr member
    I've broken 2 seat stays on my 2008. FIrst one took a few days, second one took about three weeks and a bit of pushing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Week 3

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Any news?
    I broke the chainstay on my 2008 HiFi Plus last weekend. Took it to the lbs on Monday, and now waiting patiently for a verdict.

I hate that name.
    Quote Originally Posted by NielsJ View Post
    Any news?
    I broke the chainstay on my 2008 HiFi Plus last weekend. Took it to the lbs on Monday, and now waiting patiently for a verdict.
    The last 26" HiFi frame we warrantied got replaced with a Fuel EX. That was almost a year ago, so unless they found a secret stash of swingarms, expect the same.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by blunderbuss View Post
    The last 26" HiFi frame we warrantied got replaced with a Fuel EX. That was almost a year ago, so unless they found a secret stash of swingarms, expect the same.
    Thanks for the info. I think I'll let the lbs know that. Last word from them was that they got a new rear swing arm, but it didn't fit, so I guess it wasn't a 2008 GF Hifi, size L.
    At first I didn't really like the Fuel EX (same frame/geometri for all numbers, yes??), but as I've been looking at it quite a lot lately, I fancy it more and more. BUT, then what about the front derailleur, fork, BB, seat post, and rear schock? Will they fit? Will I get new parts if not?

I'll give the lbs a call again tomorrow and push on a bit (I raced a hardtail today on a bumpy course. My bum is quite sore!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Hi again!

I just took all the parts to the LBS. I think I could choose between a Top Fuel 8 and a Fuel EX 8, but they picked the Top Fuel for me. They said there was to many different parts for for the EX, but still the head set and bottom bracket is different, and the rear axle seems to be different as well, so what else can be different?

Anyways, they will get back to me tomorrow with an exchange price, since I'll need a new head set, bottom bracket, conversion kit for the rear axle, a new rear damper, and cables.

Is that fair? I mean, there's nothing wrong with the old parts, and it wasn't my idea to crack the old frame. I know Trek only gives warranty on the frame, but when they can't deliver the same product again, they should also deliver what's needed for me to get going again. Or what?
    It seems to me the LBS is trying to sell as many parts as possible

Edit: How about collateral damage? The rotor got bent and the big chainrig got "sand blasted" when the rear end collapsed.
    Last edited by NielsJ; 12-13-2011 at 07:16 AM.

I hate that name.
    The frame should include a rear shock. If it doesn't, it would be the first instance I have seen when the frames in question are not the same. The bottom bracket is luck of the draw, some have come with, some without. Headset is probably a no. The ABP Convert frames we have gotten on warranty have come with the conversion hardware to run a standard hub, but that may be luck of the draw also. The good news there is that said hardware isn't very expensive. Cables and stuff? A small price to pay for the upgrade in frame you're getting- new EX or TF is much better than old HiFi.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    The frame should include a rear shock. If it doesn't, it would be the first instance I have seen when the frames in question are not the same. The bottom bracket is luck of the draw, some have come with, some without. Headset is probably a no. The ABP Convert frames we have gotten on warranty have come with the conversion hardware to run a standard hub, but that may be luck of the draw also. The good news there is that said hardware isn't very expensive. Cables and stuff? A small price to pay for the upgrade in frame you're getting- new EX or TF is much better than old HiFi.
    Latest update:
    The EX is out of stock, so if I want that one, I'll have to wait 3-6 months. The TF is in the basement, so it'll be the one.
    My BB fits by luck, and the headset is a new one.
    Apparently I'm getting the dealers price on the rear shock (Fox RP2). I've found a slightly used RP23 at the same price, so now the problem is whether I should take the RP23, or push the dealer/Trek on them giving me the RP2 free of charge.
    The TopFuel has a ABP Race. It seems I can use my 9mm QR wheels with just a longer axle.

mtbr member
    Broke my 2010 RumbleFish chainstay in 2 places, within a week I was up and running.

mtbr member
    I just broke the drive side chain stay on my 2010 HiFi Deluxe. I'm worried it won't be replaced after some stories I've heard recently.

I hate that name.
    What have you heard? Trek'll take care of you.

mtbr member
    That the rear triangle isn't covered under the frame warranty and that a some are having trouble getting new parts..

mtbr member
    I think the warranty on the rear triangle is 5 years. At least it is on the 2011 Hifi. You should be fine if they have them.

I hate that name.
    2010 frames are full lifetime. No worries if you're the original owner.

mtbr member
    Just got a message on Facebook of all places from the Customer service manager at Trek:
    Jason Schumacher
    Hello Tyrone, sorry about that last message, I hit Enter to drop down a line and it sent. We have a swing on the way to you. Should be there Weds or Thursday. Thanks for all of the support. If you need anything down the road you can contact us at support@trekbikes.com or feel free to message me.

about an hour agoTyrone Taco Minton
    Where was the swing arm sent and how did you find out about it? I only took my bike to the shop on Friday.

51 minutes agoJason Schumacher
    Sorry, it looks like my first message did not go through like I thought it did. Let me start over... My name is Jason Schumacher, I am the Technical and Customer Services Manager here at Trek. Your post was sent to me, so I wanted to let you know that we recived the claim for your swing on Friday evening and the swing was sent to the bike shop this morning. Sorry that you had an issue, have fun in Arizona! If you have any more questions feel free to contact me or email us at support@trekbikes.com Have a great day! -Jason

5 minutes agoTyrone Taco Minton
    Jason,
    This is amazing. Thank you so very much. I was afraid I was going to have to borrow/rent/run the race. You have just disproved all the nay sayers and anti-trek people I've ruin into of late. Again, thank you.
    Simply amazing. Called LBS, they didn't have anything to do with it. Only thing I can figure is it stemmed from a post on MTBR or possibly something I wrote in a private forum on facebook. Amazing!

Clydesdale 29er
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrone.minton View Post
    I just broke the drive side chain stay on my 2010 HiFi Deluxe. I'm worried it won't be replaced after some stories I've heard recently.
    I broke my 2010 chain stay this summer. It broke on Sunday and I was back riding on Friday. My LBS was great and Trek shiped the part out fast. No hassle what so ever.
    MxV=Clydesdale

mtbr member
    Got my bike back today! They replaced the flat black swing arm on my '10 Deluxe with a glossy blue swing from a '10 base. It's fine, its back together, and it works!!! Happy day!

rock crusher
    Aug 2008
    My 2010 HiFi Pro frame also broke cleanly through on the drive side chainstay this weekend. This is the first break on the HiFi, which replaced a 2007 Caliber that I broke twice. The LBS here in AZ is working on it for me... hopefully the turnaround will be as fast as tyrone.minton's
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Broken hifis-407653_2564580913841_1233673078_32070726_1229225990_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    That's the EXACT spot mine broke. I spoke with Slippery Pig (on Central Ave in PHX) last week and they said they had some HIFI swing arms in stock if your LBS can't help.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I just broke the chainstay on my 2010 Hifi in exactly the same spot as Pitch, I took it to the LBS to start the process.

rock crusher
    Aug 2008
    Looks like I may be rolling again by the weekend (Feb 4th)! Thats a durn quick turnaround (1week) IMO. A new swingarm is on the way. Props to Single Track Bikes in Flagstaff, AZ. Awesome crew to deal with.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    After 6 days I heard back from my LBS with my options to replace my broken HiFi chainstay. I had a choice of a 2008 Top Fuel or a 2012 Fuel EX 9 frame. I guess they don't have any rear swingarms in stock. I chose the Fuel EX frame I need a new headset and new bushings for the rear shock which I don't think is a big deal. Trek no longer includes the rear shock with their frames, but mine off the HiFi will transfer over fine. I also confirmed that the rear triangle now has a 5yr warranty while the front triangle is still lifetime.

mtbr member
    you also need new wheels and such since its a 29er vs 26er! the 2010 should have had a lifetime warranty on it. Have your shop call down to Slippery Pig in PHX, they said they have a couple swingarms in the shop when mine broke.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Tyrone,

My HiFi is actually a 2009 26" model I was mistaken when I said it was a 2010. I think I bought it on closeout early in 2010. I still have not gotten my Fuel EX yet, the LBS had to order new bushings for the rear shock to work in the Fuel EX frame.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast