mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Broke a seat stay - '07 Hifi

After my last ride on my beloved hifi I was devastated to see that my left seat stay had cracked. I had no crashes that ride, so I suspect it was from a hard drop. The bike was purchased 2 years ago on craigslist, though I was able to get in contact with the seller's business, so I hope to be able to retrieve the original reciept etc.

How tricky is the warranty process? (Especially for carbon parts.)

Where can I find this part? Only direct from trek/fisher?

thanks for any help!
    -A very upset Gary lover

AZ
    banned
    Local Trek dealer can help you .

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I cracked my 08 HiFi and there was no parts available so I was given a new frame. I was given a few options on replacement frames, I picked the 2011 HiFi Pro. Still waiting for it.

So I would say if you get warranty you will be picking a new frame. My understanding warranty is good for original purchaser only.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    A forum member has offered me a set of seat stays for a great price- which looks like my best option right now.

honestly, I would be upset with a new frame. I don't like the appearance of the new models... always felt the '07s looked great.

Yea, the warranty is for the original buyer, however I was able to contact the seller from 2 years ago. I suspect the best I could hope for is crash replacement so I'm going to buy the set off the forum member and save myself the hassle.

thanks all!

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by starbot
    A forum member has offered me a set of seat stays for a great price- which looks like my best option right now.

honestly, I would be upset with a new frame. I don't like the appearance of the new models... always felt the '07s looked great.

Yea, the warranty is for the original buyer, however I was able to contact the seller from 2 years ago. I suspect the best I could hope for is crash replacement so I'm going to buy the set off the forum member and save myself the hassle.

thanks all!

What's more important.......how a bike rides or how it looks?
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I guess that would apply if the newer hifi's ride that much better- do they?

The new models are still using G2 geometry and offset forks, correct?

For my trails, ive never ridden a better bike than my '07 hifi, but then again, I also havnt had the opportunity to test many rigs:/

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by starbot
    A forum member has offered me a set of seat stays for a great price- which looks like my best option right now....
    Glad we could help each other out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'm in the same boat as the original poster. I have a 2007 HiFi Pro with a cracked seat stay (drive side).

Looks like they are unavailable from Trek/GF, local CF repair wants a fortune for the repair.

Does anybody have a spare please?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by scottdogsert View Post
    I'm in the same boat as the original poster. I have a 2007 HiFi Pro with a cracked seat stay (drive side).

Looks like they are unavailable from Trek/GF, local CF repair wants a fortune for the repair.

Does anybody have a spare please?
    Is it a 29er? I know someone that might be selling a 2009 Hifi frame in the near future.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    No, it's a 26er.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    thanks to a tip from a forum member, I was able to find a used seat stay at Evergreen Bicycle Outfitters in Evergreen CO.

My bike is back in action!