Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: broke 08' HiFi

My other ride is your mom

broke 08' HiFi

My 1st MTB....08' Hi-Fi.....13.5months on the frame. Snapped upon landing a bunny hop off of a curb....was able to come to a stop safely upon feeling the back end sag and tire rub against chainstay. I've seen it before on this forum....just thought I would share. Taking it to the dealer tomorrow and hopefully will get resolution ASAP. The thought of not being on a bike for weeks upon weeks makes me want to puke. I'm also disappointed at the lack of strength in this area (whats with the cutout? just make it a solid piece)....I always read about the failures and thought that "surely" the owners abused the heck out of their rides to generate such failures. I consider myself a conservative rider, and this is what I get just a few weeks after 1 year of ownership.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I've only seen them breaking at the weld.

Lets us know how the warranty claim goes whether they give you a new rear triangle or new frame.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Fisher Warranty transferrable?

I'm considering buying a used Hifi and am very concerned about this. Anyone know if the Fisher warranty transferrable to a 2nd owner?? If I buy used and break one, am I screwed??

As for the warranty claim.....no questions asked....I walked in with frame in hand, told them I had a warranty claim....the trek rep (who happened to be in the store at the time) looked at it for 1/2 second and said, "yep....warranty". 2 minutes later, the store took my frame and I was out the door. Before leaving, I asked the rep how long to get it back. He said I get a new rear triangle and depending on if they have one already painted, it's 5 days....could take 2 weeks otherwise.

As for the warranty transfer.....the original owner is the only person who can claim the warranty as it is a lifetime warranty. So if you buy used, I suggest buying from someone you know who can vouch for you the next few years.

Again....I need to emphasize that I'm not a hucker....consider myself a conservative rider and bought the bike March 15th, 2008. It broke yesterday, May 1st, 2009. I've ridden the bike between 3-5 times a week during that time for a total of ~1798 miles, ~160278 vert. descended.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

broken swingarm

I recently had a crack on my hifi swingarm (mine cracked on the chainstay bridge) and took it into the LBS. It took about 2 weeks to get back (they had to paint it), and when it came back the guy at the shop pointed out that they've redesigned this part, in particular the new one is a lot beefier right in the area where yours broke. Mine is an '08 deulxe 29er, so I'm not sure if it will be the same for yours. Overall I was very happy with GF's warranty service.

Quote Originally Posted by rex_quando
    I recently had a crack on my hifi swingarm (mine cracked on the chainstay bridge) and took it into the LBS. It took about 2 weeks to get back (they had to paint it), and when it came back the guy at the shop pointed out that they've redesigned this part, in particular the new one is a lot beefier right in the area where yours broke. Mine is an '08 deulxe 29er, so I'm not sure if it will be the same for yours. Overall I was very happy with GF's warranty service.
    Rex....can you send a pic along with the redesigned area? I'm curious...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

redesign pics

Here are some pics of the rear dropout area as it came back from the repair. Again, mine is a deluxe 29er so I don' t know if it will be the same for yours...
    DSC06739.JPG

DSC06741.JPG

mtbr member
    Crazy...I just signed on to see if my problem has been posted. Sure enough!

Except, mine snapped completely through at the front of the "swingarm", where the asymetrical (sp) part is.

Just like you, I consider myself pretty conservative. Just crossing/cleaning anything in the normal easy xc trails around here. Minor log piles and whatnot.

About 2 weeks ago I was out with a group and noticed that something just didn't feel right. I haven't been overly happy with the flex I get from the rear, but it seemed way worse. All I got was "oh, it's probably just your tire pressure." Riiiggghhhttt...

Then the last few rides I've had the same flex issue, and horrible shifting problems. WTF, right?

Last night I took it to a buddy's house to get the drivetrain gremlins worked out. We flipped it over, and HOLY CRAP.

Damn good thing we found it, because this morning's ride was to start with a nasty descent. Complete failure at that point would've been super serious.

Luckily, I bought it lightly used from my LBS mgr, a good friend of mine. 15 minutes after dropping it off this morning, the warranty claim was filed.

FWIW...this model already had the swingarm replaced as per GF.

Not overly happy with GF right now...
    "My Fat Hurts." - Me

I guess if ones design includes a high failure rate....including a limited lifetime warranty is a good way to assuage the customers. As long as I get it back soon...I'll be ok with it.

mtbr member
    Went to LBS today to check status. Out of paint already and on the way. Awesome.

Then the mgr, a great friend of mine, says "Hey look, you won't believe this..."

He then shows me his personal '09 bike with....you guessed it, a snapped swingarm.

Submitted the claim and called the tech dept. Apparently the rep said he'd never had that happen before within his region.

I call bs...considering mine had the same thing happen last week.
    "My Fat Hurts." - Me

mtbr member
    This thread is really makin me nervous. I ride my HIFI Pro 29er (08) pretty hard and often. A catastrophic failure and injury isn't going to go over too well with me. Starting to smell like product liability gross negligence.

I'm really surprised there isn't a proactive product recall / warranty replacement - I think I'm going to check tomorrow with the LBS to see if this can be proactively remedied. If not, I'm probably going to dump the frame and go back to another vendor's hardtail.

Too bad, because its one of the best riding trailbikes I've ever owned.

mtbr member
    Kind of my thoughts as well. Like, this isn't an uncommon thing.

That bad boy snaps on a fast descent, I'm face first into a tree. Not cool.
    "My Fat Hurts." - Me

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Well Thought I would add.......
    I have broken 2 frames,
    The original HiFi when they came out in the UK 2007 problem as above and similar time, bought in March 2007, snapped in May 2008 replaced June 2008.
    This time I "felt" the bike feeling a little odd and when I checked it over yep another crack same place only a matter of time before it snapped.

When it happened the first time I was told it was an alloy issue with the manufacturer. This time and following all these related posts it will be interesting to see what they come back with.

The good point is my Local Bike Shop have been above and beyond helpful. The first time it happened they let me use one of their Santa Cruz Hecklers until my HIFI came back. Same again this time either another Heckler or a HIFI until we hear back from Trek (Should be picking up replacement bike on Thursday)

Will keep you posted on the next reason after all I expressed my anger at the design flaw in the welding design last time it happened.

My Wife thinks itís the best bike ever as she bought it for me as a birthday present, I wanted to upgrade to a Heckler last time but she said no way, the HiFi is the best bike everÖ you get a new one every year!

mtbr member
    Still no bike.
    "My Fat Hurts." - Me

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

I have broke my '08 hifi twice in the last 6 months

same exact spot both times (the "H" on the chainstays, right through the weep hole). first time the factory sent the wrong part (seat stays instead of chain stays) and I was without a bike for almost 6 weeks!

I Just dropped off my bike at the LBS today for the second time and they said it will be 2 weeks this time. Only this time they are out of 08 XL HiFi chainstays so I will be getting a whole new frame, kinda cool but it is going to be RED, and the new girly looking design

Kinda sux to spend almost $3k on a bike and have the frame break twice in less than 6 months. I'm a very conservative rider too, i try to ride fast but I never really jump or do drops.

I just got my bike back yesterday....so a tad over 3 weeks from drop off to finish. I won't post up pics, but thought I'd share some details. They did strengthen up the dropout area such that it no longer bifurcates heading into the chainstay/dropout weld...it is now a solid piece heading into that weld (see the pic's from Rex_Quando above, earlier in the thread....it's the same design). It also came back to me in all black....I thought they would paint with original blue color....guess I assumed wrong. I'm not going to piss and moan about the black...initially i was annoyed at the lack of customer communication/managing expectations, but now it looks kinda cool since it matches the seat stay.
    Last edited by Maadjurguer; 05-22-2009 at 07:39 AM.

mtbr member
    GF Rider....same exact break as mine. Almost to the mm.

Twice!?!?

Oh yeah...still.....no bike.
    "My Fat Hurts." - Me

mtbr member
    Exact the same issue as TheWood922; had the Deluxe 29 for a couple of weeks and lots of flex rear and shifting issues. One day I was just riding along and it felt like I was riding with a flat back tire; turned out that instead of this the entire swing arm was broken!
    I rode this bike with the new swingarm for a couple of more months but everytime I rode it I had issues with this bike. My LBS finally gave me a refund on the bike so I was able to buy another one.

Picture.029.jpg
    Last edited by Txholland; 05-30-2009 at 11:16 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

wow, thats a bad break.

same exact spot that I broke mine twice...

what kind of issues did you have with the new swing arm?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GF_Rider
    same exact spot that I broke mine twice...

what kind of issues did you have with the new swing arm?

I'll answer this question!

What new swingarm?

Stilllll waiting.
    "My Fat Hurts." - Me

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Still?!

i just got my frame in Saturday, I almost have the build finished. its a little bitter sweet, i love the fact that i got a brand new frame, but i friken hate the looks, it looks SOOO girly -

but i sympathize on your wait, first time i broke the swing-arm it took SIX WEEKS to get the new one in.

mtbr member
    Hey I got it!

No wait....that can't be mine. That's a black '09, mine's green '08. Noooo...that is mine.

WTF?

I'm not going to point fingers here, but let's just say I may have a whole new frame on the way.

Dude...wtf, really? lol
    "My Fat Hurts." - Me

mtbr member
    I'm being told that a new frame isn't an option, and that they can't match mine.

Basically, this blows.

I wish I had copied the message I just sent to Trek.
    "My Fat Hurts." - Me

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    wtf? So they are saying your outa luck? You need to ask your LBS who the Trek rep is in your area and contact them directly. They have to either replace your swing arm or give you a new frame, it's in simple black and white.

mtbr member
    "Simple Black and White." Fcking HILARIOUS, seeing as how I got a black and white swingarm. lmfao
    "My Fat Hurts." - Me

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I broke my 08 Hi Fi Carbon frame last weekend. Same exact break as in the picture from the original poster - just in front of the rear dropout. I came off a small drop and smacked the front wheel into a rock. The bike stopped dead and threw me forward OTB. No damage to the front wheel or anything else - all the stress must have been transmitted back through the frame to the rear end.

Here's the good news - I brought the frame into the LBS on Tuesday morning. I had the new frame member in hand Friday afternoon. I was amazed that it came so fast. It's the 09 version, which (as the picture in a previous post shows) has been beefed up in that area. The LBS didn't have time to install it for a few days, so I took it home and installed it in about an hour. The only issue I had was that the derailleur cable housing sections were not quite the right length and had to be replaced. Also the new frame member is black and the rest of my bike is red but it doesn't look bad.

I was really pleased with Trek's speed and lack of hassle with replacing this part. I hope the redesigned frame won't have the same issue.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Just dropped off my '08 Pro Carbon with cracked/frame failure. Just above the bottom bracket on the seat tube. Perfectly straight horizontal "line" (crack) around the full diameter of the tube. Noticed some paint chipping a few weeks ago, but hoped for the best..... After a good muddy ride I washed off to reveal the crack. Just posting to let others know. We'll see what the LBS can do, I hope it gets resolved easily. Size XL, 200# rider, 6'4".

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    It will be interesting to see what they do about the carbon pro - mine has paint cracks in the same area that you describe. They examined them and decided not to fix it. I haven't had any structural problems and the crack isn't growing. It's been like that for over a year and a half. I received my first carbon pro in september of 07, and I cracked the seat tube near the bottom of the seatpost in the first week. I had a completely new bike a week later, minus the grips that I forgot to take off the first bike...now this is the bike with the paint cracks. Either way, good luck!

mtbr member
    Cleaning my HiFi Pro Team 29er today....tada!

Broke / cracked through on the "H" like the last set of photos shown.

Hope to hear back from LBS/GF by this Thursday. What I have feared has come to pass. We'll see what they come up with. Its too bad because I really like this bike and how it fits/handles. But its really shaken my faith in the product reading through this thread...then experiencing the same.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    As for the warranty claim.....no questions asked....I walked in with frame in hand, told them I had a warranty claim....the trek rep (who happened to be in the store at the time) looked at it for 1/2 second and said, "yep....warranty". 2 minutes later, the store took my frame and I was out the door. Before leaving, I asked the rep how long to get it back. He said I get a new rear triangle and depending on if they have one already painted, it's 5 days....could take 2 weeks otherwise.

As for the warranty transfer.....the original owner is the only person who can claim the warranty as it is a lifetime warranty. So if you buy used, I suggest buying from someone you know who can vouch for you the next few years.

Again....I need to emphasize that I'm not a hucker....consider myself a conservative rider and bought the bike March 15th, 2008. It broke yesterday, May 1st, 2009. I've ridden the bike between 3-5 times a week during that time for a total of ~1798 miles, ~160278 vert. descended.
    This was the exact same break i got yesterday riding a rooty section. sounded like a shotgun blast. glad to hear you didn't have any problems with warranty, hopefully i won't either.
    2011 Niner EMD
    Wounds Heal, Chicks dig scars, Glory lasts FOREVER!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Well it's a bit of a reviaval for this thread but I want to think the OP for the pics.
    Lots of people post 'my bike broke' threads but don't post any pics.
    Pics are worth a whole lot when it comes to describing where, how and what.

mtbr member
    i find them handy in case the bike shop wants to argue about a warranty. don't know if that would happen but it's nice to know you can at least say "see, not just me".
    2011 Niner EMD
    Wounds Heal, Chicks dig scars, Glory lasts FOREVER!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Well since someone else dragged the thread up.

At 6'1" and 230 lbs I knew it wasn't if but when I would break a frame when looking at full-suspension bikes. That's pretty much the reason I bought new when every other bike I have is used (why would anyone on a budget buy a new road bike?).

Took about 3 weeks but they got me a new swingarm. They didn't color match it though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'm thinking of buying a Gary Fisher Hifi Plus 29er myself but after reading all these posts I wonder if it's such a good idea. I have several full suspension bikes,including a Giant Trance X1, and I'm wondering if I should wait for Giant's Anthem X 29er.

Perhaps Giant's maestro suspension is the way to go. http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...gy/maestro/32/

What's not shown in the drawing is a massive reinforcement arc that's welded onto both the chain stay and seat stay. I would imagine that this would prevent the chain stay or seat stay from snapping. If you looked at a Maestro suspension it would look like a one piece triangle connected to the rear shock with two pivots. So both the seat stay and chain stay are in contact with reinforced pivots that are in contact with the rear shock.

Here is a photo of the Anthem X 29er prototype. You can see the reinforcement arc connecting the chain stay and seat stay in this photo, also note the cross sectional reinforcement that spans the length of the entire support arc.

Last edited by mefistofeles; 05-05-2010 at 03:41 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I've looked a little at the Giant's and wondered about clearances on that arc.

Couple years ago one of the manufacturers put a fork on with an arch that rode the tire surface so close it looked like it would have issues with small rocks stuck in the treads.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Was about to take my bike out for a ride this morning, found another crack in my '09 HiFi Pro in the thick part of the H where the swing arm comes together near the same deraileur. I have broken my swing arm in the same spot 4 TIMES now. In the exact same spot. All this within the last 18 months. I do ride my bike pretty hard, but this shouldn't happen this often. I am very dissappointed in this bike. But I have been lucky with the warranty on the frame. However, I think I am going to get it replaced and just sell the frame I get back and just get another frame. Any one else had problems with the swing arm as well recently?
    "Want to ride some more miles...?"

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I went last week to get my frame replaced and they said they are going to switch the HiFi frame with a Rumblefish frame. Since I have broken the HiFi 3 times, they said the Rumble Fish is a more heavy duty bike and might fit my riding style. Is it a better bike in terms of being more "heavy duty"? Also, has anyone's frame been replaced by another type of frame?
    "Want to ride some more miles...?"

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I have lg 29er hi-fi frame with broken seat stays that I will not be fixing. If anyone needs lg hi fi 29er swingarm or something i probably can part with it for cheap like 30$ plus shipping...
    DM me if you are interested

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rdoloto
    I have lg 29er hi-fi frame with broken seat stays that I will not be fixing. If anyone needs lg hi fi 29er swingarm or something i probably can part with it for cheap like 30$ plus shipping...
    DM me if you are interested
    Warranty the frame then sell it on ebay - you'll get alot more than $30!

Thats what I did about a year ago. I'm embarrassed to even admit how much got for that HiFi frame.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    my local trek dealer took care of me for warranty but now I have the old frame as well so yeah

Lazy People Suck
    Quote Originally Posted by rdoloto
    my local trek dealer took care of me for warranty but now I have the old frame as well so yeah
    If you still have the old frame, I am interested. Sent you a PM
    Last edited by Fett; 09-30-2010 at 12:17 PM.
    "Son, The world needs ditchdiggers, too"-Ted Knight, Caddyshack

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

08 HiFi parts no longer available?

I just got an 08 HiFi pro frame off of Ebay and had 2 awesome rides, well until I broke the carbon fiber seat stays on a rock! Trek and Gary Fisher don't have parts for it. Nice. They would gladly sell my a new frame with shock, $1200-, ouch! Not asking for a free ride or anything, just the part to fix my frame, no luck...

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew.dickie@pb.com
    I just got an 08 HiFi pro frame off of Ebay and had 2 awesome rides, well until I broke the carbon fiber seat stays on a rock! Trek and Gary Fisher don't have parts for it. Nice. They would gladly sell my a new frame with shock, $1200-, ouch! Not asking for a free ride or anything, just the part to fix my frame, no luck...
    I have a 09 Hifi pro with broken chainstays near the BB. Like you no Fisher support. I would trade for other parts if you want the carbon stays off this one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mefistofeles
    I'm thinking of buying a Gary Fisher Hifi Plus 29er myself but after reading all these posts I wonder if it's such a good idea. I have several full suspension bikes,including a Giant Trance X1, and I'm wondering if I should wait for Giant's Anthem X 29er.

Perhaps Giant's maestro suspension is the way to go. http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...gy/maestro/32/

What's not shown in the drawing is a massive reinforcement arc that's welded onto both the chain stay and seat stay. I would imagine that this would prevent the chain stay or seat stay from snapping. If you looked at a Maestro suspension it would look like a one piece triangle connected to the rear shock with two pivots. So both the seat stay and chain stay are in contact with reinforced pivots that are in contact with the rear shock.

Here is a photo of the Anthem X 29er prototype. You can see the reinforcement arc connecting the chain stay and seat stay in this photo, also note the cross sectional reinforcement that spans the length of the entire support arc.
    Looks weak to me. See that hollow section on the swing arm near the lower link?

mtbr member
    Not to come off rude but these frames seem to be junk!
    The snozberries taste like snozberries!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Looks weak to me. See that hollow section on the swing arm near the lower link?

The design is actually quite strong. The rear end of my bike actually feels better than the front end and I've taken three foot drops with this thing.

What makes Maestro so good is the connection that the shock is connected to both the chainstay and the seatstay so if you have any inordinate loading on either one the system has a whole will move. Basically the suspension is setup like a giant triangle with connections to the both the top and bottom of the rear shock.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew.dickie@pb.com
    I'm in much the same boat. Used Hifi 29er. Crack in the chainstay brace that I noticed week before last. No more spare parts in stock, so I am mulling over a crash-replacement deal.

Having to buy a new frame doesn't bother me. Having no warranty is part of the game when buying used. I knew that going in.

The only thing that ever bothered me is that soon after buying the bike used, I read here in the forums about problems w/that brace. It was a bit discouraging so soon after having bought the frame to read about problems with that part, and about how Trek had made a running change in the design to reduce the failure rate. Ever since, I've waiting for the other shoe to drop. Two weeks ago it did.

There's an upside though. I've an excuse to buy a new frame.

I'm still mulling over the crash-replacement deal. Half of me is thinking of going in a completely different direction. Titus has some good pricing right now on their frames. And I have been wanting one of the new, El Mariachi frames. Probably I'll do the crash replacement thing, but I'm taking a few days to mull over the options.

mtbr member
    thanks for good and best tips for bicycle.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Broke

As it says ,broke my seat stay on my 09 hifi pro 2 weeks ago been in the shop since then.Second time this has happened.My only concern is how long it is taking for the part to come in.Anyone else having problems with parts

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I had broken my 2008 twice in two diferent spots. both times I got replaments with in a week. The problem is the frames are a few years older now and I'm sure its becoming harder to get the parts that aren't being manufactured any longer.

A friend of mine bought an 08 used and broke the seat stay and was not eligible for relacement but was able to buy just the chain stay from someone on Ebay.

Good Luck!!
    94 GT Zaskar
    08 GF HiFi Plus 29er
    10 GF HiFi Pro 29er

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast