Thread: Brake Question

mtbr member
    May 2010

Brake Question

I have a 2008 Gary Fisher Wahoo Disc. I am upgrading to Avid BB7's with 185mm rotors. Ordered that from Jenson and just got them today. I am somewhat retarded when it comes to this stuff right now, but I am learning. When I went to take the old rotors off, I couldn't figure out how to get them off. Well I figured out, so I think, that my hubs are specifically fit for my rotors? Is this called center-locking? So anyways, my problem is how do I get my new bb7's onto my bike?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    bump

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Adapters for centerlock to 6-bolt. I am assuming you cant use the old rotors because they are 160 mm?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I could use the old rotors I guess... but I don't want to because I want the new rotors (185mm) because they are avids, bigger, will give me better stopping power and because I paid for them haha. I am all but sure that my hubs are CL. The specs on my bike say that my hubs are shimano m65 disc hubs. Does this mean that they are CL? If so, will just any CL adapter to 6-bolt work? Also, what am I looking at to get the old rotors off? Is there some tool that I need?

Brant-C.
    you need the same tool to take off the rear cassette as the brakes.
    I just like riding my mountain bike.

Brant-C.
    you'll need this for the new rotors.
    I just like riding my mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Might want to look into if your fork is even compatible with a 185mm rotor. I believe the darts are only compatible up to a 160mm

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Yeah I am aware of that. It says "not recomended over 160mm." I am going to try it anyways. I have read all about the dangers on here and some have said it isn't even a big deal. I plan on upgrading forks soon anyways. One thing I was wondering though was, would replacing the spring in my dart with a harder one help to compensate for the larger rotor?

I hate that name.
    No, the spring is irrelevant. The problem with some forks and larger rotors is that the braking force can overcome the clamping force of the qr and pull the wheel out of the dropouts, supposedly. IIRC, there was some kind of recall a few years back where Specialized had spec'd a 7" or 8" rotor on some Enduros and the Fox Floats couldn't handle it. Fox has since changed their dropout design.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Oh ok. So if I take it easy on the brakes until I can get a new fork I should be alright?

Pirate!!!
    Dude you are dangerous!!