mtbr member

Bontrager Tubeless--TLR or Ghetto?

I have a Rumblefish I and am going to convert to tubeless. I am running the stock Team Issue 29-3 tires (non-tlr) on the TLR rims and am debating using the Bontrager rim strips or a ghetto set up (or another?) along with Stans. I have not bought the TLR strips nor valves yet. Will the TLR strips work well with this set up or is it better to go with gorilla tape or other (stans strips, etc) setup? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    TLR strips and valves are awesome. Much better than a Stans or ghetto setup.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I've used Bonty Tires with both, TLR rims/strips and Stans with American Classics(non-tubeless rims). Both work exceptionally well, but the TLR strips are easy and cheaper than Stans kit and I've never had a problem with them.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. I have the rim strips installed and just filled with Stans--waiting to see how it seals. There are tons of pores in my sidewalls but I expect success.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Good luck. The Bonty TLR system is great, I have my 2010 HiFi setup with 29-3's w/Stans sealant and it I love it. I did not know they made 29-3's that were not TLR ready....I thought they all had the TLR stamp on the sidewall.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I recently converted to tubeless, rim strips and Bontrager super juice. I have not had one problem with air loss and no birds nest when I changed tires!

At Work
    Easier to set up than the stans system (except getting the damn bead back on the rim......). Use the Stans sealant.
    2009 Titus FTM

2009 Gary Fisher Rig

1997 Kona Ku
    (Resurection in Progress)

mtbr member
    Actually, I found it really easy to get the bead back on. I soaped up the sidewalls and inflated until the it went PANG! I had always heard that the beads would snap on with a loud noise and was a little nervous of when it would occur. I was expecting it, but it still made me jump a little-- it is louder than I thought it would be. Kind of fun on the second tire and not startling at all... The tires held great pressure last night--they are mounted on the bike but I can't ride in all the smoke from the 4-mile canyon fire so I haven't given them a good thrashing yet to make sure the beads are secure but will air them down and give it a go very soon and will let those know that also run the Duster with the Team 29-3 tires...

At Work
    I was refering to getting the tire back on the rim!!!!!!!!! New Bonti tires can be a bugger to get back on.
    2009 Titus FTM

2009 Gary Fisher Rig

1997 Kona Ku

mtbr member
    These were my used tires--probably why I didn't have an issue (definitely pre-stretched). I was a little worried about sealing used tires, but it seems to have gone well.

mtbr member
    Went for my first ride on them at lunch today--getting a little moisture at the spokes, but seems to have held my 25psi just fine. Is that normal? I'm not worried about it, just curious.

At Work
    My dusters have never had any moisture at the spokes, at least none that I have seen. I was thinking that the srip sealed off that area once the tire was in place.
    2009 Titus FTM

2009 Gary Fisher Rig

1997 Kona Ku

mtbr member
    I am thinking it may have been some residual water from soaping the sidewalls that may have made it's way out. Not sure, but the tires seem fine (enough) for me. Weighed before/after and it saved 3oz. Thought (hoped?) it might have been more, but it is what it is. I used 2 scoops of stans in the 29" tires for those that want to know.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I converted my Superfly 100 stock wheels to tubeless with the Bontrager rim stips. Very easy and way less expensive than Stan's strips. I had to use my compressor to get the tires to seal initially and used some soap to get the bead to pop. They have been perfect since then.

I have Stan's Arch wheels on my other bike just using the tape. I found the Bontrager system sealed up better and faster.

I am using a Maxxis Ignitor on the front and a Crossmark on the back. I have had great luck with these tires running tubeless on both wheel systems.

I usually use a mix of Stan's and Slime in my tires.