mtbr member
    Jun 2010

BB5s on older HKEK

Good Morning All,
    My name is Chris and I am new to the board. I live on the MD/DE border and just got into riding approx 2 months ago. I'm 31, happily married and work in finance.

I have a 2010 GF Cobia, all stock except a Ignitor rear tire (due to blow-out on stock 29.3).

My wife has an older GF HKEK (01-02 maybe) and I was thinking of upgrading from my BB5s to Hydros. (undecided as of yet, need to do some digging on the board first).

My question is will my BB5s work on wifes HKEK, which still has "v-clamp" brakes?

It would be a whoole lot easier to justify my upgrade if I could sell it to her as "Hey babe, I got an awesome idea, let's upgrade you to disk brakes. Whats that? Oh what am I going to use as brakes...I'm sure I'll find something"

Thanks for the help!

Bikeaholic
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by XxRedbaronxX
    Good Morning All,
    My name is Chris and I am new to the board. I live on the MD/DE border and just got into riding approx 2 months ago. I'm 31, happily married and work in finance.

I have a 2010 GF Cobia, all stock except a Igniter rear tire (due to blow-out on stock 29.3).

My wife has an older GF HKEK (01-02 maybe) and I was thinking of upgrading from my BB5s to Hydros. (undecided as of yet, need to do some digging on the board first).

My question is will my BB5s work on wifes HKEK, which still has "v-clamp" brakes?

It would be a whole lot easier to justify my upgrade if I could sell it to her as "Hey babe, I got an awesome idea, let's upgrade you to disk brakes. Whats that? Oh what am I going to use as brakes...I'm sure I'll find something"

Thanks for the help!

Good Morning,

The BB5's should work just fine. Personally I would sell the BB5's and go with BB7's on both. Just a thought. Either way go for it!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    How is the HKEK set up?
    My 2003 Big Sur required an adapter on the left seatstay to mount the rear brake caliper.
    The front brake should be a bolt on as long as the fork has either post mounts or an IS mount although an adapter may be required if your fork mounts are not the same as hers.

The 2002 HKEK is the same as the Big Sur with respect to the rear mount, one of my buds has one that still has the V brakes because he had intended to go full squish and disc at the same time. (His bike is mostly blue with a Marazochi front shock set up for 100mm of travel) I think the front fork is a post mount but don't recall for certain.

Here is a picture of the adapter on my bike with BB7 brakes. It is/was the same for TREK as for Fisher bikes. When I purchased it I couldn't get the 'kit' with the hardware and had to buy the bolts at the hardware store. I think it ran me about $14 for the adapter and maybe $3 for the bolts.

The two cap head screws you see just above and behind the skewer hold the adapter on and between those screws you see the point of a smaller cap screw that comes in from the wheel side through the adapter into the frame. The adapter has two hols in the little cresent arm that form a IS mount for the brake. The C shaped adapter behind it comes with the brake caliper.

If you are mounting to post mounts on the fork you don't need that sort of adapter. The second pic is the front mount on my bike. The RockShok has IS mounts on the fork as well so you see the adapter inside the fork to hold the caliper in place.

You also have to have disc hubs on your wheelset. Mine didn't. The origional front wheel was radially spoked. Great for weight but not so hot for disc brakes.

In 2004 or 2005 quite a few of the bikes came with provisions for disc brakes. That is cable standoffs and disc hubs even if it came with V brakes.

P.S.
    I really like the BB7s. They aren't the lightest brakes out there but they work pretty well.
    I've got Hayes hydros on my Kona Dawg that I got last year and the maintenace with them and setup is a royal PITA compared to the BB7s.
    The only things I've done to the BB7s are initial setup when I put them on, replace the pads and dial the pads to adjust for wear. I may have tweaked the rotors a little during the 4+ years the brakes have been on the bike. Otherwise I've never had to touch them.

The self adjustment on the Hayes hydros is something I've been known to call sell-misadjustment. One of my riding buds has similar brakes and he is always readjusting them with a couple business cards on the trail. I'm usually readjusting mine every month or two and I've had to bleed them twice in the last six months, which requires realigning and readjusting them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BB5s on older HKEK-brake_mount_sm_img_1624.jpg  

BB5s on older HKEK-front_caliper_rs_sm_img_1626.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    thanks for the responses, I'll go home tonight and inspect her bike more. ( I should have done prior to posting, personal pet peeve of mine is people not researching things before asking questions)

Lot of Love for BB7s on the board, they seem to be tried and true like a SB350 for cars. Maybe thats the way to go.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Updates: Hubs don't accept discs. Wife wants new bike anyway, prob upgrade her after the summer.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Good luck.
    The HKEK is/was a good bike and a nice component set, better now than it was then.

I've been pretty glad I got the Big Sur and I think with the better bike I've probably ridden more with fewer problems than my bud who got the Marlin or the Tassajara although the Tass was still pretty nice.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I used to have a 2001 HKEK, and just check the ability to put a disc on the rear. Mine only had the old Hayes 20mm mount which was on the chain stay, it didn't have the holes for the "Klein" adaptor pictured on the 2003 BigSur above. I tried a A2Z adaptor to make it accept IS mounted calipers, but it wouldn't fit on the 20mm mount and under the seat stay

I have the adaptor somewhere which you can have for the postage (From Aus) if you want to try?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanls for all the assistance. She's gonna hold of on switching to disks. I'm gonna take off my BB5s (sell) and put on BB7s. Have to do some research on brake levers. Think I will leave the OEM BB7 brake pads on, hopefully get them bed correctly, and will go with Jag-ripchords.

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I haven't had any issues with the OEM pads.
    There are some that claim that the G3 or G4 rotors are much better than the roundagons you see above on my bike. I actually have some 7" G3s that I haven't put on that I origionally picked up for that bike but decided to keep as spares for other uses.

The BB5 pads and the BB7 pads are not compatible.

The levers are your choice.