mtbr member

any advice on G2 Geom?

sorry for duplicate posts....I thought it'd be better to have a new thread.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

had some miles on the 2011 Rig now & for the life of me I just can't get comfortable on this G2 steering. Everything else is working fine & slider dropouts are still holding up great. The front is too squirrely when I'm dropping rocks & chutes (going down in general). I put wider bars on & have messed with spacer height, but I can't get it right. I thought about trying a longer stem to slow things down, but I've already gone over the bars 2x with a 90mm. When I put a spacer or 2 under the stem to raise the front (set me back) the front has a tendency to wash out around corners. I just can't seem to get this dialed. I'd appreciate any advice or to know if you're having similar problems.

At Work
    try raising the stem and flipping it also...... May find a different posstion. Also, have you moved your seat back any? You may have it back to much and not enough weight on the nose.
    2009 Titus FTM

2009 Gary Fisher Rig

1997 Kona Ku
    (Resurection in Progress)

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have a Paragon, and while I'm very comfortable, I have had similar issues with not staying on the bike. I may bump up the stem length just a touch (10mm) to get a little more weight on the front wheel. While this might seem like your more prone to OTB, it also can get your weight lower to prevent it. A better front tire may help too. Less weight on the front can help it roll over things that could cause OTB, but it also prompts the washout. Many of the OTB that I witness are because hte front wheel washes out, gets sideways, and then stops. Solving the washout might fix the issue.

Can you get your butt off and behind the seat when descending (shift your weight back)?

I just blame the whole issue on the fact I'm going way faster than on my 26" bike. There is no doubt if I rode the same speed as last year there would be no issues.

mtbr member
    thanks guys....I'm going to take an extra 105mm stem with me this weekend to give it a whirl. It may have been just the wheel washing because I'm not used to 100mm of travel.

I can get behind the seat when I descend. The worst one was a steep 2 stage rock drop where I was totally behind, then catapulted over....bike landed on me.....not really sure what happened. Either the wheel turned 90 deg when I hit the ledge between rocks or I washed out?

mtbr member

what a difference 10mm makes!

Thanks all. I was a little reluctant to go longer on the stem because I thought it would put me more prone to OTB, but turns out 10mm was all I needed. Steering is nice & stable now on descents & bike fit overall is much nicer. I have to say I'm happy with my Rig now.

Thanks,
    Adam

At Work
    good deal.
    Sounds like you had to much weight back and not enough to carry traction when the front wheel is loaded.
    2009 Titus FTM

2009 Gary Fisher Rig

1997 Kona Ku
    (Resurection in Progress)