mtbr member

Any 2011 Superfly 100 cracking issues?

I'm looking into getting a 2011 Superfly 100 and was wondering if anyone is having problems with the frame or chainstay cracking or has the problems been totally rectified.
    This frame will be replacing my 2010 which has had some issues.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I have had my replacement frame (a 2011 frame) for about 9 months and taken it through the paces, endurance racing, Moab and Fruita. I just got back from the BC Epic where the bike was put through about as much abuse as one could expect from a race bike...no issues with the frame.

mtbr member
    I don't have a superfly 100, but my LBS has replaced several superfly 100 frames. All the mechanics joke about needing a backup bike for the time you are waiting to get your frame replaced.
    fesch
    Riding in snow is for the desperate.

mtbr member
    How about any 2011 owners specifically having issues. It would be great to hear from the real world owners if Trek/Fisher rectified the seat tube cracking and other areas that were breaking. Its well known that the chain-stay replacements have been holding up but what about the main frame?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    My 2011 has many tough miles on it and no issues what so ever. Much better than 2010!

My 2 cents.

Kevin

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I've had no issues at all with my '11 SF 100 elite or my SF elite HT. I've been riding and racing them hard since early spring. Not one issue with either of the frames. I weigh 182lbs and I'm not the most graceful rider. My '10 SF 100 had the usual seatpost cracks that were quickly warranties by GF. Now if you want my opinion on the SRAM 2x10 that would be a different story. When the 2x10 works well it's nearly flawless, but the front shifting can be pretty finicky in wet muddy conditions.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I talked to a guy at the Kirkwood Classic last weekend who was riding on a 2011 Superfly 100. He said he loved the bike, but he had a cracked chainstay and was waiting on a replacement. Wasn't bad enough to keep him off the bike though.

I'm gonna be picking up a 2012 ASAP...

Superflying on Haven
    I've been riding mine with that "cosmetic" crack for several months. Zero problem. Others ask for a replacement for less than that... That frame is not cracked.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Any 2011 Superfly 100 cracking issues?-crack.jpg  

Superflying on Haven
    I now have a 2011 for two months (gone from large to XL). Zero problem. 2011 has a little more stiffer rear end.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Any 2011 Superfly 100 cracking issues?-ddd.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I have an opportunity to buy a 2010 Superfly 100 for a very good price, brand new. Are these the ones that are breaking so much. And if it cracks is Fisher replacing with a 2011 frame? Who pays to rebuild the bike if this happens. I'm 197 lbs by the way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Olis1 View Post
    I have an opportunity to buy a 2010 Superfly 100 for a very good price, brand new. Are these the ones that are breaking so much. And if it cracks is Fisher replacing with a 2011 frame? Who pays to rebuild the bike if this happens. I'm 197 lbs by the way.
    If its brand new and your buying from a dealer you'll be covered if it breaks. And, yes, the 2010's break.
    JRA Cycles
    My Trek HiFi
    NEMBA Racing
    SNEMBA
    I love learning new things in my pajamas.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    So I may buy this 2010 Superfly 100. Price more like a used bike to be honest. Setup on the bike at thsi link.

Superfly 100 | Gary Fisher Bicycles

Shop will swap parts on the bike up to 30 days after purchase and will only charge me difference in price from part being replaced and no labor to swap. Sounds pretty sweet to me. Any recommendations on what I'm going to wish I switched out. My buddies with the 2x10 setups on the same bike seem to wish they had lower gearing sometimes and these are guys that do endurance racing, pretty good shape etc. If I stick with 3x9 will I regret it down the road? What's the deal with 3x10? Full gear range in a quicker shifting package.

If you were picking up a new bike what would you swap. I heard a lot of people don't like the handle bars that come with the bike. Very flat bar with slight sweep back.

Anything else that comes to mind?

Thanks,
    Jon

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    For endurance racing I use a 40-30-20 setup with an 11-34 or 12-36 cassette. Nothing beats that 20 x 36 granny gear after a very hilly 100 miles. I can ride up a vertical wall with that gearing

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    i also picked up a 2010 superfly 100. i hated the the bars and switched them out for a giant carbon flat bar. the 3x9 has been just fine. not sure about the wheels yet, seem a bit flexy at times...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by wtw0004 View Post
    i also picked up a 2010 superfly 100. i hated the the bars and switched them out for a giant carbon flat bar. the 3x9 has been just fine. not sure about the wheels yet, seem a bit flexy at times...
    I just picked up a 2010 as well on Saturday. $3450 brand new. Thought a lot about changing the drivetrain, etc to 2x10 but decided XO 3x9 is really not all bad. Put some beefier tires on and a new stem is on the way (120 for this 6'3" rider on XL frame). Its a nice looking bike. The color scheme is better then the '11's in my opinion.

Taking it for its first big ride tonight.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I've had a 2011 Superfly 100 elite since June. This has been the best bike to date I've ever ridden or owned. It is light and fast across any terrain. The XO group is solid. Great brakes and gears. The wheels and suspension are spot on. The bike stays smooth and still flies up the hills. Stock everything. Waiting for the 2012 Superfly's.

mtbr member
    There has been a batch of 2010 rear chain stays that were mislabeled and painted in 2011-colours at the Trek factory, then mounted to 2011 models. Trek is believed to have the overview on what frames have been affected. Size of batch in unknown, but any 2011 breakage will be checked against this mistake in production. The 2011 rear frames are said to be completely redesigned in comparison to 2010, which were known to break, and should not be prone to breaking.

A friend broke his 2011 Superly 100 Elite last Friday (clean break at middle of driveside chain stay), and this info came from a European importer as a possible explaination.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Good info simenf.

Looking at picking up a FS and the Superfly 100 29er has caught my eye. Ive read about all kinds of problems with the 2010 model and glad to see they are addressed with the 2011. Im 6'5 and 220 lbs so having a strong frame is #1 for me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Just cracked my 2012, which was a warrantee replacement for my 2010, which broke in 3 places at once. The 2012 broke at the ABP, and the rear drive side stay separated while I was riding at speed. The seatstay and chainstay came apart and the rear wheel stared to wobble. This was really, really bad.

The problem is that there is now a rear thru-axle, but Trek only increased the diameter ofthe hole, not the amount of carbon around it. This leaves almost no carbon to support the axle itself, at a location that bears the direct weight of the rear wheel, accepts the torque of pedaling, and is also the rear suspension pivot. So...back to trek. I am going to ask for a black painted 2011 swingarm as the old ABP area had enough carbon to resist this problem, even though it used an old school skewer diameter to support it.

Then I am going to sell my Superfly 100, and Trek and Gary Fisher can go pound sand. I like being grandfatered into a warrantee, but hate using it so much. Not worth the safety risks. Also, FYI I am 5'11" and 148lbs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Less Than a year after purchasing my 2010 GF SF 100 the seatstay broke. GF replaced the frame with a 2011 SF Elite frame. Now less than a year later I had a clean break at middle of driveside chain stay. I'm done with GF. When I get the bike back I'm selling it. Got a Moots on order.

mtb enthusiast
    Sounds to me that Trek carbon is something to stay away from for now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Hoping someone can provide some info and advice here; I am replacing my 2001 Sugar with the 2012Superfly Elite 100. Can't wait - have read all the reviews about 29'ers and how well this bike handles.
    Ordered it from LBS Dec 15. Said it would be here Feb 15 (2 months is a long time for a bike introduced in mid 2011!) Now my LBS store is saying Mid April!!!!!!!!!!!! Ok - since they have had so many problems with the carbon frames cracking, I am guessing they have gone back to the drawing board.

1) Anyone have any info here?
    2) If I go to another bike - any recommendations?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    What bike are you going to?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I have a 2010 Superfly 100 that I've been riding for about ten or eleven months. I, literally, have had to warranty almost every single part on the bike. At the moment, I am on my second frame. Waiting to get a warranty replacement on the 2011 chain stay which cracked. I ride alot, and in spite of the problems, I love the bike. I've changed to better/sturdier parts, and I've become a pretty good mechanic out of necessity. However, no matter what I do, as soon as I start thinking I've got the bike dialed in, and there won't be any more problems, something else happens, like the cracked frame I'm dealing with now. 601/190.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Yesterday while cleaning my bike in prep for a race today, I discovered a small crack at the bottom of the gusset below the seat post clamp on my 2011 Superfly 100 OCLV. (I rode the bike in the race, of course!)

I purchased the bike new in late April of 2012.

I have always used the Bontrager preset torque wrench on the seat clamp. Therefore, there is no way it was from over tightening the clamp. I hope Trek stands up for this warranty!