Type1Rider.org
    Jan 2006

Announcement Today

There is going to be an announcement of sorts from Trek/Fisher in a few hours.

Gary Fisher posted a tease pic:

http://twitpic.com/1x2b3u

(Carbon Rumblefish?)

We shall see....

Type1Rider.org
    Jan 2006
    On second thought... I think it is a 29er Carbon Roscoe. That would be sick!!!

Sweeper
    That is the bike pictured in the other thread. U can see the black n white top tube.

AZ
    banned
    Trek branded 29er ....

mtbr member
    JRA Cycles
    My Trek HiFi
    NEMBA Racing
    SNEMBA
    I love learning new things in my pajamas.

mtbr member

So.....

Is GF as a separate brand done? Is everything now under the Trek name? Glad I bought my 2010 HKEK - it's no more.

mtbr member
    The Fisher Collection!
    2011 Niner EMD
    Wounds Heal, Chicks dig scars, Glory lasts FOREVER!

Type1Rider.org
    Jan 2006
    Well.. I'm an idiot cause I NEVER saw that coming. Makes perfect business sense though, eh?

I guess it was inevitable.....

Sweeper
    Interesting.....

mtbr member
    My question is what ramifications this is going to have on the Subaru Gary Fisher Team and the 29er Crew Team?
    www.29er918.blogspot.com

Avoid the Clap, signed……Jimmy Dugan

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    It seems like they're dumbing down a few models. Not a huge fan of the switch. The bikes are now all painted in the signature Trek monotone.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I agree with sockeyeus. They all look like crap. the marlin is now a 29er, with tektro novela discs. The wahoo now comes with PROMAX hydraulics. And now they all look boring. I don't like the new line. I better get my 2010 marlin while I can.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    btw sorry guys, new member :-D

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    No higher end 26 HT. Makes sense from a business point of view but.... I'm glad I bought my 2009 HKEK!

mtbr member
    slowly but surely, no more gary fisher brand. it's only a name, right? also, they and trek have been working together now for quite a while. you see "gary fisher collection" now, but no surprise if it's just straight trek (no mention of gf) for the 2012 rollout.

i just didn't see it coming so quickly.
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870
    - 2011 Salsa El Mariachi XL
    - 2011 Kona Unit (singlespeed) XL

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Wow. Wow. I am speechless. I really don’t like this. I don’t like the Trek sub category “collection”, nor the paint scheme, nor the lower end parts. My favorite brand is gone. I can’t believe I will have to switch to Specialized or ??. I just never was that interested in other brands.
    I know in reality it is not that much different, but now it seems the GF brand is gone. I have really been wanting a 2009 or 2010 Cobia, but in 2011, you don’t get much compared to previous years. What are “Promax Hornet hydraulic disc brakes, 6-bolt; 160mm rotors”? Plus, obviously the 26ers were going, but, they’re really gone now. Makes we wanna keep by 2009 Tassajara. The 26ers are really low end.
    Sad day for me, really sad.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I am also disappointed, the component spec all seems to have dropped at least one level for each model, probably because they "upgraded" to 10 speed. This is the beginning of the end of Gary Fisher mountain bikes, too bad. Now I don't feel so bad for buying a Salsa!

SF100 is now OCLV carbon, not sure what it was in 2010. Also the Paragon gets E2 and 100 mm travel, weren't they all 75mm last year?

guru meditation
    Fish fried! Hey Trek, Nike can sell millions of dollars worth of Air Jordans without even a single swoosh on 'em.

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by ssalmons
    I am also disappointed, the component spec all seems to have dropped at least one level for each model, probably because they "upgraded" to 10 speed. This is the beginning of the end of Gary Fisher mountain bikes, too bad. Now I don't feel so bad for buying a Salsa!

SF100 is now OCLV carbon, not sure what it was in 2010. Also the Paragon gets E2 and 100 mm travel, weren't they all 75mm last year?

THey all came spec'd at 80mm, but many were changed over to 100mm.
    I resolve to constantly assert my honest opinion on anything and everything - whether it is requested or not.
    Bucky the Cat

mtbr member
    "SF100 is now OCLV carbon, not sure what it was in 2010."

The 2010 model is OCLV. I have one.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I've been biting my tongue about this for a little while now, but this is about international sales, guys. The bikes are the same as they've always been and will continue to evolve along their respective development cycles. The SF 100 is still a sweet ride, the Cronus represents one of the best buys on the market for a sub 1000g road frame, and the Superfly, well, still flies.

If anything, moving away from being boxed in as a "traditional" brand could bring about more fringe concepts, especially for a mega brand like Trek. Look at the models like the Sawyer and the Transport, for example.

The bottom line is this: If you like the bikes for what they are, then this shouldn't matter. If you're concerned that Trek discontinuing the GF brand name is somehow disingenuous toward Fisher's legacy, that ship sailed in '93.

mtbr member
    Trek Drops Gary Fisher Brand

MILWAUKEE, US – Trek announces a dramatic change in its brand strategy. As off immediately the icon brand Gary Fisher will disappear from the bike shops. The reason for this change is that the brand Gary Fisher is no longer profitable. According to Trek the volume of this high end segment is too small related to the costs of development, marketing and warranty.

The decision to drop the Gary Fisher brand is motivated by the dealers call for Trek 29-inch and Dual Sports models. Trek did not want to put engineers, product managers and designers for both brands parallel on 29-inch and Dual Sports projects.

The name Gary Fisher will not disappear from the market completely. The Gary Fisher Collection will be sold under the Trek brand and exclusively through Trek dealers worldwide. According to Trek, this new brand strategy is beneficial in terms of consumer exposure, availability through far more dealers than just the Gary Fisher dealers and larger marketing budgets.

The Trek - Gary Fisher Collection will feature a different look and graphic feel than the Trek mainline range. Trek will also differentiate both ranges in functionality. Gary Fisher is no longer the spokesman of just one brand, but has become the spokesman of the whole company.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    What happens now to people with paid orders for 2010 Fishers, wanting the 2010 lifetime warranty. They were told production was temporarily halted for a "redesign" around known issues, and that their July ship dates should not be effected. I know of more than a few people waiting for their bikes under these circumstances.

Are they going to be forced to take a 2011 with a crappy warranty? Are they going to be sent 2011 shaped frames, painted as 2010's so they are Gary Fishers, and be sold a dead brand, and then if/when it breaks be forced at to get a Trek with a crappy warranty because they say "sorry, Gary Fisher Brand does not exist any more, so you need to get a Trek now, with a Trek warranty" like they do for the Lemond's, which they use to own? Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Yeah...what about my warranty. I have 2009 Tassajara. What happens to me if I break the frame?

Lifetime? I have a bad feeling about this.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    If your current bike break (fisher) taek it in. they will warranty it until your current frame warranty ends..(never) it will be replaced with a current model....

WHen they killed Lemond, they didn;t leave all the Lemond owners in the dark.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gilbertlikesbikes
    Yeah...what about my warranty. I have 2009 Tassajara. What happens to me if I break the frame?

Lifetime? I have a bad feeling about this.

Here's what I got from trek a few weeks ago when I first heard of the new Warranty change.

Jason,

Thanks for writing.

Our warranty is based on original purchase date (make sure to keep your proof of purchase). Our lifetime warranty on your Superfly falls into our 'Pre-2011 Warranty' standards.

Thanks again,

user-created

Same bikes, culling dealers

If you are a consumer, your warranty will be honored. Next years bikes are going to be the same as the 2010s, they will just say "Trek" on them.

Now, if you are a Non-Trek Fisher dealer (like we are) you get kicked out of the boat.

SBT
    mtbr member
    I guess we'll see what happens moving forward, but I'm certainly glad my Rig is dated 2010.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeNeverwinter
    If your current bike break (fisher) taek it in. they will warranty it until your current frame warranty ends..(never) it will be replaced with a current model....

When they killed Lemond, they didn't leave all the Lemond owners in the dark.
    Great point. They don't produce current models for a long time. What do the early Trek/Lemond owners get now if their Lemond breaks? A Madone. Great bike, same lifetime warranty on new Madones, no issue.

However the Mtn bike warranty is radically changing for the worse. So we know in 3 years if your 2010 GFSF100 breaks you will get a comparable Trek. But, will they give you a lifetime or say to you "sorry that brand is not available anymore, so, since we are moving you to a Trek you get the Trek warranty." I would think they would keep you under lifetime since that is what you bought, but the way Gary Fisher was a separate brand/company, and is being dropped because of poor profitably and warranty costs (see press release) they may not.

Trek needs to put out a press release to Gary Fisher customers to clarify this and be above board. I am sure with Trek's track record of great customer service they will continue to give you lifetime, but not clarifying this obvious question with these brand changes is a cause for concern.

user-created

guru meditation
    Was GF operated as a subsidiary in terms of the finances/marketing, but not bike design & development?

Is dang happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasontech
    T. According to Trek the volume of this high end segment is too small related to the costs of development, marketing and warranty.
    If Trek spent more on development it would not need to cover the warranties.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

mtbr member
    Looks like Trek the cookie monster has struck again...I can't wait to see what they destroy next...yummy yummy yummy!

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrack
    Next years bikes are going to be the same as the 2010s, they will just say "Trek" on them.
    Not true to all bikes. All the aluminum frame HT 29er's are redesigned. Look at the seat stay\top tube junction. The chainstays are .200 longer than previous models too. Rig has adjustable dropouts instead of EBB also.

Also all 2011 and later HTs still have lifetime warranty. The 2011 and later FS bikes have lifetime warranty on the front triangle and only 2 years on the swingarm.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    But what about all the Gray Fisher only dealers? My local dealer who has only sold GF bikes for 15 years. He has supported them for so long know he cant sell them any more and has to dump his inventory. That his totally screwed up. BOOOOOHHHH Trek

user-created
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkplug
    He has supported them for so long know he cant sell them any more and has to dump his inventory.
    I've got Hifi's and Rumblefishes that I will happily dump. Any takers? MSRP is going right out the window.

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by Duc Hunter
    Great point. They don't produce current models for a long time. What do the early Trek/Lemond owners get now if their Lemond breaks? A Madone. Great bike, same lifetime warranty on new Madones, no issue.

However the Mtn bike warranty is radically changing for the worse. So we know in 3 years if your 2010 GFSF100 breaks you will get a comparable Trek. But, will they give you a lifetime or say to you "sorry that brand is not available anymore, so, since we are moving you to a Trek you get the Trek warranty." I would think they would keep you under lifetime since that is what you bought, but the way Gary Fisher was a separate brand/company, and is being dropped because of poor profitably and warranty costs (see press release) they may not.

Trek needs to put out a press release to Gary Fisher customers to clarify this and be above board. I am sure with Trek's track record of great customer service they will continue to give you lifetime, but not clarifying this obvious question with these brand changes is a cause for concern.

Do you people not read??????

IF your Superfly 100 breaks in 2 or 3 years.....you will get a Superfly 100.......instead of it saying Gary Fisher on the downtube.....it will say Trek....but it will be the same frame.
    I resolve to constantly assert my honest opinion on anything and everything - whether it is requested or not.
    Bucky the Cat

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Another Fisher Dealer worker here. We also have rumblefish's and a superfly 100 if anyone needs one. I enjoy how they told us about this the same day they released the news to the public via trek's website.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spoker247
    Another Fisher Dealer worker here. We also have rumblefish's and a superfly 100 if anyone needs one. I enjoy how they told us about this the same day they released the news to the public via trek's website.
    If they hadn't done that there would have been no reason to announce anything. Cat would have been out of the bag a while ago. Sucks but this is typical.
    JRA Cycles
    My Trek HiFi
    NEMBA Racing
    SNEMBA
    I love learning new things in my pajamas.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej
    Do you people not read??????

IF your Superfly 100 breaks in 2 or 3 years.....you will get a Superfly 100.......instead of it saying Gary Fisher on the downtube.....it will say Trek....but it will be the same frame.
    Really now. And what do the Lemond riders get, a new Lemond? They get a Madone......totally diff bike dude.

IdontShootPeopleAnyMore
    wow i just serviced my rear hub on my early 90's fisher today!!! that sucks no more fishers...
    What mountain bike forum do pirates use? .....

MTB-arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by Duc Hunter
    Really now. And what do the Lemond riders get, a new Lemond? They get a Madone......totally diff bike dude.

Different situation.....Trek no longer wanted to be associated with LeMond. Trek needs the Fisher bikes.

Just be glad that you have a warranty. How do you think the people that bought GT's and Schwinn's in 2000-2004 feel.
    Bucky the Cat

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej
    How do you think the people that bought GT's and Schwinn's in 2000-2004 feel.
    I think they would feel the same, they bought their bikes knowing the warranty only lasted a period of time. I bought a GF particularly for the lifetime warranty, which I am glad they will continue to honour.

jsg
    desk jockey
    Once you buy a Fisher, the company owes you the same new bike forever!!!

*Contents Under Pressure
    ***** some more.

not that much has changed, you guys are acting as if the sky has fallen. so the paint changes again for 2011 and it only says fishers name on the top of the top tube instead of plastered on every square inch of the bike. I think the new paint looks great, i am excited for 2x10 drivetrains for the common man, and the cheaper SF100 and SF HT bikes seem like a good idea. Also, the warranty changes do suck, but its still one of the best in the industry and you can only really blame the ass hats who took advantage of the warranty system while it was still good.

Why would anyone have trouble selling a 2010 superfly or rumblefish? its the same as the 2011. just a different color. like every year.
    There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by hotfeat1227
    ***** some more.

not that much has changed, you guys are acting as if the sky has fallen. so the paint changes again for 2011 and it only says fishers name on the top of the top tube instead of plastered on every square inch of the bike. I think the new paint looks great, i am excited for 2x10 drivetrains for the common man, and the cheaper SF100 and SF HT bikes seem like a good idea. Also, the warranty changes do suck, but its still one of the best in the industry and you can only really blame the ass hats who took advantage of the warranty system while it was still good.

Why would anyone have trouble selling a 2010 superfly or rumblefish? its the same as the 2011. just a different color. like every year.
    2011 has a 142.5mm rear in it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Was GF operated as a subsidiary in terms of the finances/marketing, but not bike design & development?

Gary Fisher was completely folded into Trek. If you're a dealer you're A/P is still the same company regardless of whether or not you're selling Gary Fisher and Trek. In fact I got tech support for my Gary Fisher bike by calling Trek.

Although the retail sales channel for both companies may have been somewhat integrated the same rep selling Gary Fisher sells Trek. So at least the backend/rep system was the same.

Although I can't prove I think it's quite likely that engineering and manufacturing for Gary Fisher and Trek are handled by the same department. It would be insane to setup two different engineering departments for Gary Fisher and Trek when you could probably use one department to do the same job.

I think the main reason the Gary Fisher brand went away was the international sales channel. Gary Fisher has a weak international presence compared to Trek. Making Gary Fisher product Trek product would instantly open Gary Fisher to a much larger dealer base.

Another thing,this is speculation on my part, is that Trek saw that the 29er market was really taking off. Why bother developing new product from scratch when you could use an existing line? If Trek started making 29er product in a big way why even bother with a Gary Fisher brand name? From a sales/branding perspective it would make no sense. Unless there is some other niche market that can really take off, i.e. 650b bikes or electric bikes, there is no reason to have a separate Gary Fisher brand name if Trek began marketing its own 29er bikes.

Personally I think it would be outstanding if Giant hired Gary Fisher. They have the resources and know how to make great bikes,they're just very conservative in terms of design. As time passes Tpasses Trek's own marketing people will begin calling calling the shots on the 29er line and how it will fit into the rest of the Trek lineup, not Gary Fisher or the Gary Fisher marketing people. Gary Fisher should jump ship to Giant and invigorate their 29er marketing/design.