Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Type1Rider.org
    Jan 2006

Announcement Today

There is going to be an announcement of sorts from Trek/Fisher in a few hours.

Gary Fisher posted a tease pic:

http://twitpic.com/1x2b3u

(Carbon Rumblefish?)

We shall see....

Type1Rider.org
    Jan 2006
    On second thought... I think it is a 29er Carbon Roscoe. That would be sick!!!

Sweeper
    That is the bike pictured in the other thread. U can see the black n white top tube.

AZ
    banned
    Trek branded 29er ....

mtbr member
    JRA Cycles
    My Trek HiFi
    NEMBA Racing
    SNEMBA
    I love learning new things in my pajamas.

mtbr member

So.....

Is GF as a separate brand done? Is everything now under the Trek name? Glad I bought my 2010 HKEK - it's no more.

mtbr member
    The Fisher Collection!
    2011 Niner EMD
    Wounds Heal, Chicks dig scars, Glory lasts FOREVER!

Type1Rider.org
    Jan 2006
    Well.. I'm an idiot cause I NEVER saw that coming. Makes perfect business sense though, eh?

I guess it was inevitable.....

Sweeper
    Interesting.....

mtbr member
    My question is what ramifications this is going to have on the Subaru Gary Fisher Team and the 29er Crew Team?
    www.29er918.blogspot.com

Avoid the Clap, signed……Jimmy Dugan

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    It seems like they're dumbing down a few models. Not a huge fan of the switch. The bikes are now all painted in the signature Trek monotone.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I agree with sockeyeus. They all look like crap. the marlin is now a 29er, with tektro novela discs. The wahoo now comes with PROMAX hydraulics. And now they all look boring. I don't like the new line. I better get my 2010 marlin while I can.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    btw sorry guys, new member :-D

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    No higher end 26 HT. Makes sense from a business point of view but.... I'm glad I bought my 2009 HKEK!

mtbr member
    slowly but surely, no more gary fisher brand. it's only a name, right? also, they and trek have been working together now for quite a while. you see "gary fisher collection" now, but no surprise if it's just straight trek (no mention of gf) for the 2012 rollout.

i just didn't see it coming so quickly.
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870
    - 2011 Salsa El Mariachi XL
    - 2011 Kona Unit (singlespeed) XL

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Wow. Wow. I am speechless. I really don’t like this. I don’t like the Trek sub category “collection”, nor the paint scheme, nor the lower end parts. My favorite brand is gone. I can’t believe I will have to switch to Specialized or ??. I just never was that interested in other brands.
    I know in reality it is not that much different, but now it seems the GF brand is gone. I have really been wanting a 2009 or 2010 Cobia, but in 2011, you don’t get much compared to previous years. What are “Promax Hornet hydraulic disc brakes, 6-bolt; 160mm rotors”? Plus, obviously the 26ers were going, but, they’re really gone now. Makes we wanna keep by 2009 Tassajara. The 26ers are really low end.
    Sad day for me, really sad.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I am also disappointed, the component spec all seems to have dropped at least one level for each model, probably because they "upgraded" to 10 speed. This is the beginning of the end of Gary Fisher mountain bikes, too bad. Now I don't feel so bad for buying a Salsa!

SF100 is now OCLV carbon, not sure what it was in 2010. Also the Paragon gets E2 and 100 mm travel, weren't they all 75mm last year?

guru meditation
    Fish fried! Hey Trek, Nike can sell millions of dollars worth of Air Jordans without even a single swoosh on 'em.

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by ssalmons
    I am also disappointed, the component spec all seems to have dropped at least one level for each model, probably because they "upgraded" to 10 speed. This is the beginning of the end of Gary Fisher mountain bikes, too bad. Now I don't feel so bad for buying a Salsa!

SF100 is now OCLV carbon, not sure what it was in 2010. Also the Paragon gets E2 and 100 mm travel, weren't they all 75mm last year?

THey all came spec'd at 80mm, but many were changed over to 100mm.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    "SF100 is now OCLV carbon, not sure what it was in 2010."

The 2010 model is OCLV. I have one.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I've been biting my tongue about this for a little while now, but this is about international sales, guys. The bikes are the same as they've always been and will continue to evolve along their respective development cycles. The SF 100 is still a sweet ride, the Cronus represents one of the best buys on the market for a sub 1000g road frame, and the Superfly, well, still flies.

If anything, moving away from being boxed in as a "traditional" brand could bring about more fringe concepts, especially for a mega brand like Trek. Look at the models like the Sawyer and the Transport, for example.

The bottom line is this: If you like the bikes for what they are, then this shouldn't matter. If you're concerned that Trek discontinuing the GF brand name is somehow disingenuous toward Fisher's legacy, that ship sailed in '93.

mtbr member
    Trek Drops Gary Fisher Brand

MILWAUKEE, US – Trek announces a dramatic change in its brand strategy. As off immediately the icon brand Gary Fisher will disappear from the bike shops. The reason for this change is that the brand Gary Fisher is no longer profitable. According to Trek the volume of this high end segment is too small related to the costs of development, marketing and warranty.

The decision to drop the Gary Fisher brand is motivated by the dealers call for Trek 29-inch and Dual Sports models. Trek did not want to put engineers, product managers and designers for both brands parallel on 29-inch and Dual Sports projects.

The name Gary Fisher will not disappear from the market completely. The Gary Fisher Collection will be sold under the Trek brand and exclusively through Trek dealers worldwide. According to Trek, this new brand strategy is beneficial in terms of consumer exposure, availability through far more dealers than just the Gary Fisher dealers and larger marketing budgets.

The Trek - Gary Fisher Collection will feature a different look and graphic feel than the Trek mainline range. Trek will also differentiate both ranges in functionality. Gary Fisher is no longer the spokesman of just one brand, but has become the spokesman of the whole company.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    What happens now to people with paid orders for 2010 Fishers, wanting the 2010 lifetime warranty. They were told production was temporarily halted for a "redesign" around known issues, and that their July ship dates should not be effected. I know of more than a few people waiting for their bikes under these circumstances.

Are they going to be forced to take a 2011 with a crappy warranty? Are they going to be sent 2011 shaped frames, painted as 2010's so they are Gary Fishers, and be sold a dead brand, and then if/when it breaks be forced at to get a Trek with a crappy warranty because they say "sorry, Gary Fisher Brand does not exist any more, so you need to get a Trek now, with a Trek warranty" like they do for the Lemond's, which they use to own? Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Yeah...what about my warranty. I have 2009 Tassajara. What happens to me if I break the frame?

Lifetime? I have a bad feeling about this.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    If your current bike break (fisher) taek it in. they will warranty it until your current frame warranty ends..(never) it will be replaced with a current model....

WHen they killed Lemond, they didn;t leave all the Lemond owners in the dark.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast