Old Fart

Amazing Customer Service From GF

About 5 years ago I picked up a Sugar Team Issue on eBay and have been riding the daylights out of it since. Earlier this year the seat tube broke right below the shock pivot. I figured I was "hosed" as I hadn't bought the bike new but hoped the maybe Trek would sell me a new frame at cost or something similar. I'd have been happy if they'd done that. I contacted my local Trek dealer (Kingsbury's in Elmira, NY). Paul agreed to see what Trek would do for me. Within in day Trek was shipping a new main triangle to the shop. I had them swap out the main components and I would did the rest myself. In the end the total bill was $54. Now that's great service from both Trek & the LBS.
    If you say gullible slowly enough it sounds like "oranges"

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'm afraid I cant share your enthuism, I dropped my GF off about a month ago and havent received **** yet. I wonder if my LBS is the one that sucks.

Old Fart
    Update, now I'm really impressed. The Sugar frame was damaged so I couldn't install the bottom bracket, contacted the LBS who contacted Trek. That was the last Sugar frame Trek had. Their solution? Provide me with a new 2011 Trek Top Fuel 8 frame with Fox RP2. Sweet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    You better buy a Lotto ticket as you are one lucky guy!

mtbr member
    You got lucky. Best I got was crash replacement pricing for my cracked hifi frame, which I also bought on eBay.

---
    - Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Typos and terseness are to be expected.

Old Fart
    I'd have been happy with that since I wasn't the original purchaser and Trek GF owed me nothing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubapiper View Post
    I'd have been happy with that since I wasn't the original purchaser and Trek GF owed me nothing.
    I was happy too, to be honest. I haven't actually taken Trek up on the offer yet though. I've been mulling over the idea all summer of just going off in some other direction. Titus still has those 26er FTM frames on sale, I believe, and there are plenty of other interesting ways to spend $1300, so it's undecided yet whether I'll bother replacing the Hifi.

I kind of wish the crash replacement didn't need to be the same model. I'm one of those guys who just likes to change things up every season, and sometimes more often than that. I've been on a Big Mama most of the summer, but just recently built up a Tassajara 26er frame, and I've been riding that these past few weeks.

Warrior's Society
    Don't consider it as Trek's customer service. The shop you went through is the one that made it happen.

When they submitted thee warranty claim, they told Trek that you were the original owner. So Trek treated you that way.

Trek does not ask to physically see your receipt showing original owner. You show it to the shop, and Trek goes by what the shop tells them.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.