mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Advice Needed On Gary Fisher Superfly 100

This is a re-post from the 29er forum, I didn't get much feed back on it so thought I would try here.

I presently own a 2009 Titus FTM with a full XTR build. I also own a 2006 Titus Moto Lite. I have owned Titus bikes for about 7 or 8 years now.
    All of these bikes have been built up by me, I have not bought a LBS bike in over 10 years.

In the last month I have factory demoed a Gary Fisher Superfly 100 29" full suspension 3 times. I really like this bike. The only other 29" that I have ridden is the Pivot Mach 429.
    I rode the GF again today and am contemplating buying this bike some time this week.

Not only do I like the 29", but IMHO this bike really rules. I feel so confident and really enjoyed my time riding.
    However, I am not too fond of buying a bike that I can't build up myself though, and the components that I have on my present bike are better than the GF. Yes, I could swap out some of the components off the Titus if I purchased the GF.

My question here is this, am I just drinking the cool aid and not thinking straight or should I be looking for a different bike all together?

I would love to ride the Santacruz Tallboy, and would just buy the frame and swap all the components out. I am also aware of the frame issues on the GF, and that concerns me a little. At over $5000 for a bike, it seems to me a lot of money here. I have that in my Titus, and feel I have more bike for the money, or at least at the time that I built it up.
    One other thing, I would like my next bike to last a few + years.

Other opinions here would be greatly appreciated!

Rider info:
    50 years old
    No racing involved or ever will be
    Trail riding on Georgia trails
    170 lbs, somewhat aggressive rider at times

Thanks
    David

Plastic homer
    My SF100 has been relaible, fast and now, indispensible. If it does break, it goes on as a Trek and I'll get another great frame.

On the other hand, Tallboy is in my sights as my light AM choice in 5". I demoed one and really liked it. VPP is the real deal and the bike is nice and - plastic light.

mtbr member
    I cannot answer your question about the bike, however I do recommended you read this thread. I cannot say how they ride their bikes compared to how you will ride your bike, but it is something worth considering.

When making a big investment in a bike (or anything for that matter), I do all my homework - or try at least. This would steer me away.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    If you want something super light and racy, go for it! I have met several happy SF100 owners on the trails of St Louis. I'm not sure what components you have that are "better" than what comes on the Fisher, but there is not a single part on the bike that is not ready for XC riding and racing.

If you're not going to go XC racing, I would suggest finding something a little heavier but with a tougher frame and wheelset.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I've ridden both and built up a Tallboy for my friend. I really liked the Tallboy with the Maxle or whatever. I thought the bike was magic and it's light. Both bikes are great, the SF100 comes with firmer shock/fork tuning stock. Either way you are a winner. I can't say how warranty is handled at SC but everyone here seems to be happy with Fisher/Trek.

mtbr member
    Something else to consider is the warranty on the rear portion of the bike. I could be wrong, but I thought I read Trek now only warranties this for 1-2 years from date of purchase. A guy I ride with has broken his TWICE since buying is SF100 a month ago. He is light, doesn't crash, and doesn't ride super aggressive. Not sure if it was the luck of the draw or signs of things go come.

But I have to say GF handled it well. First replacement took about 5-days. The second only took 1-day (they overnighted the part to the shop).
    Last edited by A1an; 07-16-2010 at 10:59 AM.
    Signature