mtbr member

2012 non-G2 Fox fork on G2 Fisher

I'm putting a new 2012 Fox FIT RLC 120 mm fork on my 2009 Gary Fisher HiFi Carbon Pro this week. I might have to use a shorter stem and switch to a Thompson setback seatpost because the wheel base will be shortened a few mm causing my weight to shift forward. I really wanted the new Fox fork with the FIT damper and Kashima coating and I'm willing to lose the "G2 slow speed handling" that Fisher lays claim to. Any ideas on how the bike will perform? Pics to follow.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'm guessing you will not notice a difference in fork performance, you will notice the difference in handling and you will notice how much lighter your wallet is. I think the change in offset is not big enough to warrant a new cockpit, but I've never made the change so I am only guessing.

Spice
    Dec 2008
    I thought the g2 didnt affect the wheelbase? Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i thought the point was to have an offset on the fork crown, so that the wheel stays in the same place whilst the fork effectively steepens giving the fast handling.

Spice
    Dec 2008
    Roscoe III | Gary Fisher Bicycles

"Wheelbase remains the same for high speed stability"

I hate that name.
    Quote Originally Posted by joehspicer@msn.com View Post
    Roscoe III | Gary Fisher Bicycles

"Wheelbase remains the same for high speed stability"
    They're saying it is the same as another, non G2, bike would be. So yes, putting a non G2 fork on a G2 frame would very slightly reduce the wheelbase. But I agree with ssalmons that the wheelbase will not be affected enough to warrant a cockpit change.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

mtbr member

Non G2 fork on G2 Fisher

Fork goes on today, hopefully. I will let you guys know if it was worth the $800. The trails in Maine are a good test site!

mtbr member
    P.S. I may have a Fox RL 120 mm G2 fork in great shape for sale soon...

mtbr member

I put a non-G2 2012 Fox Factory FIT RLC 120 mm on my 2009 Fisher

I have finally solved the mystery that even Mountain Bike Action called "charting unknown territory" in a recent issue. The bike: a 2009 Gary Fisher HiFi Carbon Pro 26'er. The fork: the aforementioned 2012 Fox non-g2. The verdict: Sweeeeeeeeeeeet!!!! I haven't noticed any decrease in handling. In fact, this bike rails with the 15 QR and Kashima coating and new "slippery" seals. Wow! It's like a brand new bike. Back in love with this bike again. It has never felt this sweet. The ONLY mod I am going to make is to switch from a Thomson Masterpiece seatpost to a Thomson Masterpiece setback seatpost to bias my weight a few percentage points to the rear...but I was considering doing that before I bought the fork anyway! I have a G2 Fox 120 mm fork and Thomson Masterpiece seatpost for sale!

Now if I could just get this annoying mysterious unidentifiable creak to stop!.............

Spice
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DonM View Post
    I have finally solved the mystery that even Mountain Bike Action called "charting unknown territory" in a recent issue. The bike: a 2009 Gary Fisher HiFi Carbon Pro 26'er. The fork: the aforementioned 2012 Fox non-g2. The verdict: Sweeeeeeeeeeeet!!!! I haven't noticed any decrease in handling. In fact, this bike rails with the 15 QR and Kashima coating and new "slippery" seals. Wow! It's like a brand new bike. Back in love with this bike again. It has never felt this sweet. The ONLY mod I am going to make is to switch from a Thomson Masterpiece seatpost to a Thomson Masterpiece setback seatpost to bias my weight a few percentage points to the rear...but I was considering doing that before I bought the fork anyway! I have a G2 Fox 120 mm fork and Thomson Masterpiece seatpost for sale!

Now if I could just get this annoying mysterious unidentifiable creak to stop!.............
    Good to hear. I use a non g2 rockshox revelation on my roscoe and still love it.

Try the anti-sieze or copper slip on the seat rails Generally the only creaking I get on any bike, and it always sounds like its coming from somewhere else.

mtbr member
    I will try your suggestions for my seat rail creak - I have that one too! But I also have another creak that has stumped two bike shops. I've replaced the cassette and bottom bracket and waiting on a rebuild kit for the I-9 hub. Any noise in a carbon frame is amplified like a BOSE wave radio!

mtbr member
    You will crash.
    JRA Cycles
    My Trek HiFi
    NEMBA Racing
    SNEMBA
    I love learning new things in my pajamas.