Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    wounded knee

2011 HiFi Plus or Deluxe?

I have my heart set on a 2011 Hi Fi
    Looks like the specs have changed from 2010 on the Hi Fi Plus, the forks under G.F. were Fox F100 RL, now the 2011 are going to be Rock Shox Reba RL , is this a big downgrade are are the forks comparable?
    HiFi Plus
    http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...sion/hifiplus/

HiFi Deluxe
    http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...on/hifideluxe/

I would have to move up to the Deluxe Model at $320.00 more to get the Fox forks, and other better components is it worth the upgrade?

I'm kind of a newbie to this, and this is a big decision for me, as it's a lot of money!

6'
    212 pounds
    I like to ride mostly single track, rocky and technical.
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

mtbr member
    If it is like 2010's the difference is noticeable, night and day in my mind. I tested out both and went with the Deluxe. For the small amount of higher price and large amount of component upgrade, I'm not sure why anyone buys a Plus. Unless that's all you can find leftover right now, which is possible. Or you are going to swap a ton of stuff out on your own anyway. Or you REALLY prefer the paint job.

The Reba is generally a cheaper fork that is seen on lower priced bikes, but they are very nice. I have one on my hard tail. I guess some of it is personal preference. My Fox on the Fisher feels much plusher out of the box and its simpler to adjust, I like the basic rebound and air pressure of the Fox better than pos/neg chambers, rebound and floodgate of the Reba. If you really wanted to get anal about your fork settings maybe the Reba is preferable. Plus some if not all Rebas can have a remote pop lock installed.
    Last edited by picassomoon; 06-27-2010 at 08:39 PM.

I hate that name.
    The Deluxe is definitely worth the 300 or so more in price. Too bad the Plus is the best looking of the 2011 HiFi's.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    my decision has been made for me the importer here will not [allegedly] be bringing in the plus.
    It seems weird that the prices are so close together given the apparent gulf in specs.
    the fork for me is the deal breaker,
    The f29RL is to be fair a great fork, but its lack of tune-ability beyond rebound and air has me frustrated. leaving me the choice of going mondo expensive to get the RLC fork or downgrade to the more tweakable but arguably lower spec reba.

they say if I really want a plus, they will indent one specially, but since I have to hands on time with the reba29er I'd hate to be let down [possible flex?] by it after committing to it. A test ride would have been nice.

perhaps I can use this as leverage to get an RLC cartridge upgrade thrown in?

wounded knee
    Thanks for the input and advice.
    The 2011 won't be in till August, so I'm going to put my money down on a deluxe, this will be my first real full suspension bike, hope it's worth it!
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I have a 2010 Plus it's a great bike. The only real disadvantage in my opinion is the steerer tube, it uses a 1-1/8" inch steerer and a 1.5 inch insert in the headtube. I spoke to Fox about it and their tech support believes the 1.5" insert should increase the headtube rigidity and told me not to worry about it and that in terms of rigidity it shouldn't make any difference.

Although the brakes on the Hifi Deluxe are okay I would just recommend buying a Plus and going with Hayes Stroker Ace or Shimano Saint's.

I have the Saint's on my Hifi Plus and I feel that they're an awesome combination. On a long descent I can pull away from most people so quickly on the Hifi Plus. When you have powerful brakes it gives you the confidence to ride fast without worrying. There's nothing more fun than flying down a hill without even touching your brakes and applying the brakes 10 meters before you reach the bottom.

The crankset is alright I have a Giant XTC 29er 1 and yes it's a better climber but the Hif Plus isn't too bad either. Suprisingly the shifters work quite well too.

The only thing that I can't stand is the saddle: it's awful.

I think a Hifi Plus with powerful brakes is a great value.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I just recently bought a 2010 HiFi deluxe and it was my first full suspension as well. I was coming off a 97 rigid Tass and after riding for a couple months I can't believe the difference it makes. I have infinitely more fun out on the trails that I am riding and although it was a significant investment, I think you will find it to be well worth your hard-earned cash.

When I was shopping around, I was looking at the Rumblefish I and the Deluxe and ultimately went with the Deluxe based on the trails/area that I ride. However if I was looking between the Plus and Deluxe, I would have definitely chosen the Deluxe. You get a nice set of upgrades and if you eventually have the money to replace the wheels and tires, you can really bring the weight of the bike to a respectable level.

Post some pics when you get the bike (maybe I should take my own advice).

mtbr member
    There is 1 thing to consider.

In 2011, the warranty. The lifetime warranty that the rest of Fisher owners enjoy will be changing from its current format to 3 years (?) for the rear swing arm. For full suspension owners, this is where.

I have a 2009 HiFi Deluxe (26). I contemplated the same thing as you. I spoke with friends and did some weighing of everything. When it boiled down to it, these words changed my mind... "If you get the plus, you're going to wish you got the deluxe." I would have. I bought the Deluxe.

...and really, when you start spending over 2K on a bicycle, is $300 really that much?

mtbr member
    I think the 2011 HiFi's will come with 3 chain ring and 10 sprocket cassette. The chain rings are spec'ed at 22/3x/44 which is odd since it doesn't provide the theoretical advantages (1 recovery shift) of a 3 x 10 with a 24/3x/42 chain ring set up. So if you don't like the idea of a 3 x 10 you may want to go for the HiFi Plus so you aren't investing in components you are planning to swap out.

I am having a similar question about the 2011 Rumblefish. I tested a 2010 Rumblefish 2 at a Trek demo day and fell in love, but the Rumblefish 2 is out of my price range. I am leery of a 3 x 10 setup on the 2011s and did not care for the shifting on the Rumblefish 2. I may want to switch out to a 2 x 10 or 2 x 9. I run a 2 x 9 on my 26er 2007 HiFi Deluxe.

I have not heard any negatives about the Rocks Shox Reba forks and think 3 x 10 will be expensive and unreliable, so I am thinking about the Rumblefish and swapping out the chainrings/cassette/chain the first time I wear the chain or get poor shifts.

So I would consider whether you like the 3 x 10 setup on the 2011's as well in your decision.
    fesch
    Riding in snow is for the desperate.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Any stock weights on these? I tested a Superfly100 at a Trek demo which was very, very impressive. Just too many dollars as I have blown my bike budget this year....
    Looking at the Plus 29,or Pro 29 in the 21in frame. Currently riding a 2010 Top Fuel 8 which is around 26/27lbs. Just looking to see what the weights are on these.
    Thanks

wounded knee
    Quote Originally Posted by Twenty Times
    There is 1 thing to consider.

In 2011, the warranty. The lifetime warranty that the rest of Fisher owners enjoy will be changing from its current format to 3 years (?) for the rear swing arm. For full suspension owners, this is where.

.. "If you get the plus, you're going to wish you got the deluxe." I would have. I bought the Deluxe.

...and really, when you start spending over 2K on a bicycle, is $300 really that much?
    Really, only a 3 year guarantee, that sucks!

Your right about the extra 300, at that point it's a drop in the bucket.
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

wounded knee
    Quote Originally Posted by fesch
    I think the 2011 HiFi's will come with 3 chain ring and 10 sprocket cassette.

I am having a similar question about the 2011 Rumblefish. I tested a 2010 Rumblefish 2 at a Trek demo day and fell in love, but the Rumblefish 2 is out of my price range.
    So I would consider whether you like the 3 x 10 setup on the 2011's as well in your decision.
    I'll end up taking the third chain ring off anyway, I'll never use it on our trails, and it's more ground clearance.
    I'm leary of a 10 speed also, more speeds, thinner chain!

I was looking at the Rumblefish 2 also, out of my price range, for 2011 there is a plain Rumblefish (specked lower) for around the same price as a HiFi Deluxe.
    http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...on/rumblefish/
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtrider6
    Really, only a 3 year guarantee, that sucks!

Your right about the extra 300, at that point it's a drop in the bucket.
    It is on par with most major companies nowadays.

mtbr member
    If I like the Reba fork as well as the Fox then I will go for the Rumblefish - simply to have less invested in the 3 x 10. 3 x 10 are very expensive consumables... I think you can replace the 3 x 10 with SRAM 2 x 9 set up for the price of two 3 x 10 chains.
    fesch

I hate that name.
    Quote Originally Posted by fesch
    If I like the Reba fork as well as the Fox then I will go for the Rumblefish - simply to have less invested in the 3 x 10. 3 x 10 are very expensive consumables... I think you can replace the 3 x 10 with SRAM 2 x 9 set up for the price of two 3 x 10 chains.
    10 speed chains do cost a little more than their 9 speed equivalents, but not as much as all that.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

wounded knee
    I went to put a down payment on a 2011, and they had a 2010 Hi Fi pro on the floor, he called the other store and they had a 2010 Deluxe on the floor, so off I went!

Went on a quick spin on some local single track, and all I can say is WOW, it turns so much faster and smoother than my hardrock, and the suspension is so plush already before I even dial it in, man what a cool bike.

Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I think the new Hifi's are just overkill for many trails. They're so fast on the extended downhill runs that its very easy to pull away from someone on a 26 bike. Climbing is quite good and I don't feel that much slower than my friend on his 29er hardtail.

Never mind the suspension which is truly magnificent and capable of absorbing hard knocks with impunity.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtrider6
    Went on a quick spin on some local single track, and all I can say is WOW, it turns so much faster and smoother than my hardrock, and the suspension is so plush already before I even dial it in, man what a cool bike.
    Grats on your purchase and thanks for posting those photos here --- they are possibly the best I've seen of it so far; it looks completely awesome! Would really like to see more owners posting their rides, very hard to find anything but the stock photos of the HiFi which are so sterile.

My 12 year old Trek Y22 died earlier this year (crack in rear URT - and I have no idea where my original receipt is plus I've moved to the other side of the world) ... and I'm finally looking at being fitted on and picking up my own Hifi Deluxe tomorrow. It'll be almost stock the only change being the configuration of Red Fulcrum XLR wheels instead of the Bontragier ones.

I am super happy I put deposit in a few months ago on the 2010, pretty much the last or 2nd last of my size in Australia at that time. I do like the new colors of the Trek 2011, but having the last "real" Gary Fisher of this bike is very appealing - and so is the life time warranty.

ps. this is my first post here... hi!

wounded knee
    Sorry to hear your trusted steed died, but you'll love the new HiFi, this being my first true FS it's awesome!

Here's a pic from Monday.

Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

mtbr member
    I just bought a deluxe. I rode a few different brands but realy liked the Fisher the best. Cant wait to put some time on it.

mtbr member
    Congrats on finding a bike in stock and grabbing it For the rest of us, we have to wait until the 2011's come in... sigh
    fesch

mtbr member
    I found the last one in my size any where around me. I would of stepped up to the next model but could not find one. Looking forward to getting out on it. I have not rode in 5 years so needless to say im fat and out of shape.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I just got mine - XL 21" weighs in at 12.9kg (that's 28.44 pounds for you non-metric people) with the Fulcrums running tubeless.

Have only taken it for a quick spin around the neighbourhood, but it feels absolutely great. Not the very best of photos, and certainly not in the right environment, but anyway:

(Full set)

Can't wait for the first proper ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

...same question I'm asking myself....plus or deluxe??

Other than looks, it seems to me that the plus vs deluxe argument breaks down to fox fl100 vs rock shox reba fork and exilir vs juicy brakes. Yes there are a handful of other component differences...cassette and even the wheels, but they are comparable. My take on the forks is that most people agree that fox as a company has a leg up on RS, but between these two forks they are very comparable...and between the brakes, exilir is a step up but unless you are a big dude or doing super aggressive riding they'll perform the same. Plus bikes gives you pedals, deluxe, no. (ok it's small I know...)

So...bottom line....if I was building a bike from the ground up, I'd probably use a different fork and brake set than these ones anyway....and components are always upgraded over the years....so if the shocks are close and brakes aren't that far off, what is the extra 300 (plus pedals) getting us other than a a slight uptick (that we may not notice) out of the gate.

If I looked at what i'd upgrade on both of these... in order it would be wheels, brakes, saddle (maybe higher up) and then fork.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I went with the 2010 plus - it was on sale for 1800 - but I had to change out the bars and the stock tires were terrible. After that it is a beast - bars made a big difference - stock plus came with 25" bars - pretty narrow by today's standards.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast