mtbr member
    Oct 2006

2011 HiFi and non-G2 fork

Picked up a new 2011 HiFi pro frame for great price. If I put non G2 Rebas on (2010 with Maxle) will it ruin the steering?

I hate that name.
    "Ruin" depends on what you like. It will slow the steering slightly. Some people like that, especially considering the HiFi/SF100's XC oriented geometry.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

mtbr member
    What exactly is the difference in the G2 fork offset and the standard offset? Relative to flat ground, is the G2 fork a steeper slope or less steep?
    "That hat makes you look like an idiot."

I hate that name.
    G2 fork offset is 51mm. Axle location relative to the steerer. Current standard is 44-46 depending on the brand. Frames that are designed for a G2 fork have a slacker (less steep) head angle than comparable usage bikes, and with a standard fork will steer slower. The increased axle offset quickens the steering back up while retaining the stability gained with the slacker head angle.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks guys. I'l probably give it a go. Very excited - never really ridden full sus.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I just put a non-G2 fork on my '11 Cobia. I think the 11 HiFi has the same geo. It has 20mm more travel and a tapered steerer with a 15mm thru-axle. It does not feel like the steering slowed down, it actually feels like its more responsive with less input but I think it's due to the tapered/thru-axle combo. It just holds a line a lot better now. The Marz Micro ti is worlds apart from the RS Recon. It seems to be rocking a 68' ha now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I'd post a pic but my computer blew up and I am posting from my phone. I am going to get some pics up asap, for folks questioning whether or not the '11 GF/Trek frames using 44mm headtubes can use tapered steer tubes.

I hate that name.
    Quote Originally Posted by beer_coffee_water View Post
    I just put a non-G2 fork on my '11 Cobia. I think the 11 HiFi has the same geo. It has 20mm more travel and a tapered steerer with a 15mm thru-axle. It does not feel like the steering slowed down, it actually feels like its more responsive with less input but I think it's due to the tapered/thru-axle combo. It just holds a line a lot better now. The Marz Micro ti is worlds apart from the RS Recon. It seems to be rocking a 68' ha now.
    Maybe a little confusion here about what quicker/slower steering actually means. A slacker, slower steering bike will indeed turn easily and quickly with less effort when starting from the straight ahead position (basically acts like a chopper where the front wheels just falls over), but requires more effort to return it to the straight ahead position. A steeper, faster steering bike will feel more neutral, requiring little effort to move in any direction, at any time, not just when pointed straight ahead.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks for defining the difference on steering as I am learning a lot of the jargon on the fly. I will definately look at how my bike while steering returns to neutral on my next few rides. From what I remember about all aspects of it steering now is that it is overall better hence my comment about its responsiveness to input.

mtbr member
    I changed my G2 Talas 140 on my Roscoe to non G2 Float RL 150. love it.
    I really only notice a difference in the exit of turns. W / G2 super snappy on exit. Non G2 straightens out the exit a bit.
    After adjusting I like the handling better on the non G2. Smoother and easier to link flowing turns.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    The other aspect of the difference in offset are the forces applied to the fork. With the wheel farther out (more obvious on the 9ers due to the bigger offset) it relieves some of the stiction on the lower leg bushings and stanchions. This was very obvious to me on my Ferrous 29 starting with a non G2 then getting it corrected. IMO the change in steering is something more easily overcome with stem/bar combos but the buttery smooth action of the correct fork you can't correct for. I also have a 26 Roscoe with a non G2 fork. After getting the G2 on the 29 and hopping back on the Roscoe 26, I know that the correct fork will be best. This particular circumstance should be more noticeable to those riding slower tech/rocky/rooty terrain.
    Anyone who rides a bike is a friend of mine.
    My favorite bike is whatever I am riding.
    My favorite trail is where ever I am.
    Bikes and equipment are replaceable, friends and trails are not.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I put non G-2 forks on two bikes:

1. 2009 Gary Fisher Rig
    2. 2010 Gary Fisher Hifi

Unfortunately I haven't done too much trail riding with the Hifi Plus (120mm Reba Maxle Fork) but the initial results (riding down some stairs) have been quite impressive with improved front end stability. At first the bike's rear end felt much more stable than the front end now the front end feels more stable. Ironically accelerations has improved as well by virtue of the stiffer maxle. However based on my experiences with my Anthem X 29er I believe that the Hifi should be much more stable through corners after changing the fork. A friend of mine who I usually lend the bike to confirmed that the steering was absolutely spot on and that the bike had perfect handling and control through the corners.(Note that the main reason I don't have too much trail experience with the modified Hifi is because I usually ride the Anthem X 29er when I go out on the trail.)

The Rig on the other hand has been an unqualified success after changing the fork to a 2011 15mm T/A Fox Fit fork(non G-2). Before changing the fork the bike felt both twitchy at low speeds and was good but not great going into corners at high speeds. The non G-2 thru axle fork has affected a substantial improvement in the bikes low speed stability and high speed cornering. Now the bike doesn't "meander" or wander at all thru low speeds, it feels much more stable and requires less concentration and effort to control. High speed cornering and tracking have also improved substantially,I usually lend this bike to a friend when he goes riding with me,before I changed the fork my friend could never catch me through the corners when I was riding on my XTC 29er1 hardtail,now he can actually keep up. Acceleration and power transfer have also improved as well after changing the fork.

So yes change the fork your bike's handling will probably improve by quite a bit.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    mefistofeles, that's exactly how I feel about my bike handling/steering now with the non-G2 fork swap. The fork is a Marz 44 Micro ti tapered 15mm T/A. Here's a pic:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011 HiFi and non-G2 fork-cobia-2.0.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Wow what a coincidence I'm also using the SLX M665 crank on my Rig! I've found that the M665 to be much stiffer and more efficient than the stock Bontrager Crank. I would imagine that your bike's stability,acceleration and high speed handling probably improved quite a bit after those changes.

Pirate!!!
    WELL?? To the OP what did you end up doing? And what was the result?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Cobb View Post
    WELL?? To the OP what did you end up doing? And what was the result?
    Not built yet. Just had a mate lower forks from 120 to 100 and check oil levels; will be building over next week or so. Will post impressions.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    yo tenia una XCM con g2 y la cambie por una recon race comun, la verdad que no note ninguna diferencia de funcionamiento

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Very nice this post, curiously i recent call a Trek/Gary-Fisher dealer for this information and receive the information that non G2 fork will not fit in my Superfly 100 2011 !!!! i belive the non G2 fork only lost the G2 benefits , but "not fit" i belive it was not the better answer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Well - it appears to ride 'like a bike'! Climbs well, turns corners etc.