mtbr member
    Nov 2011

2011 Cobia vs. Marlin

Cobia vs. Marlin. My lbs has both 2011 models on clearance. Cobia is 899. Marlin is $519.

I know the Cobia is nicer. I will be riding very difficult trails only 2_3 times per year. I ride in the city regularly with my current bike and am really a newbie riding single track. As a newbie, would I notice a big difference in the ride between these 2 bikes. Is the Marlin sufficient for riding some downhills? I don't want to throw away money because I know I'll suck for awhile until I can ride more. Will there be a noticeable difference that will allow me to ride more aggressively with the Cobia? Thanks for input.

mtb enthusiast
    The Cobia will have better components, most notably a better fork, so yes your riding experience will be better on the Cobia. Since the Cobia has better components, they will be lighter as well. I say get the Cobia if you can afford it. Look at the Mamba, as well because it's positioned between the Cobia and Marlin. Personally, I hate the lipstick-red paint job on the Cobia. The Mamba has a nice b&w color scheme, IMO.

I hate that name.
    Get the Cobia.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by torreyaz View Post
    Personally, I hate the lipstick-red paint job on the Cobia. The Mamba has a nice b&w color scheme, IMO.
    He is asking about the 2011 bikes. So it's the Orange/Black/Grey Cobia vs a White/Grey/Gold Marlin.

And that price on the Cobia is essentially a no-brainer. It will be impossible to replace all the better parts the Cobia has for the minimal price difference. I would look at it as a bike you can grow into if you can afford the upgrade.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thanks to all. I'll go with the Cobia.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtierney207 View Post
    Thanks to all. I'll go with the Cobia.
    How has it been treating you?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    The Cobia is great. I'm enjoying the bike. First ride, kept going as dusk set in and ended up deep in woods in pitch black. I have a light and ride out was slow and tricky but fun. Bike is very fast on pavement as well as trail. Rode to work and caught up and kept up with some road riders for a bit. For me, the bike had ridden awesome. I'm sure full suspension would be easier to ride on the rough stuff but for my use, the bike had been great. The bike feels very well made and solid. I feel like there is no side flex and feel sure I can hammer the pedals on open areas. The bike is awesome. Great option if looking for a great bike that won't break the bank.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtierney207 View Post
    The Cobia is great. I'm enjoying the bike. First ride, kept going as dusk set in and ended up deep in woods in pitch black. I have a light and ride out was slow and tricky but fun. Bike is very fast on pavement as well as trail. Rode to work and caught up and kept up with some road riders for a bit. For me, the bike had ridden awesome. I'm sure full suspension would be easier to ride on the rough stuff but for my use, the bike had been great. The bike feels very well made and solid. I feel like there is no side flex and feel sure I can hammer the pedals on open areas. The bike is awesome. Great option if looking for a great bike that won't break the bank.
    Good to hear. How tall are you and what size did you get if you don't mind me asking.