Phil

2010 wahoo owners. Tire question

Have any of you gotten bigger tires for your wahoo? I have had my wheels trued and dished and had my dérailleur adjusted and I notice that I only have 2-3 mm of tire clearance from my front dérailleur cage(in granny gear) Anyone else have about the same about of space? I'd like to get a 2.3 but I don't think it'll old it. Stock was bontrager jones xr 2.2 in the rear and 2.25 in the front(which I'm told are both actually 2.0, is that true)
    Last edited by asuprice; 08-09-2010 at 08:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    i have an 09 wahoo but i think the frame is basically the same and i've run 2 inch wide tires in the rear and a 2.2 inch tire in the front and there are no clearance issues

Put this bandit hat on.
    You're right. I had clearance issues when I installed Panaracer Fire XC 2.1s on my '10 Wahoo (technically smaller than the stock rear 2.2 Jones XRs). Replaced the front Derailleur with a Shimano XT in order to solve the tire chaffing issue. I've had have no problems with it since.

The stock Front derailleur is pretty lame for clearance for some reason. I tried everything to solve the clearance problem, but I couldn't come up with anything short of replacing it. Once I put an XT in there I had all sorts of clearance and had no problem installing other tires.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Front Derailleur clearance

I had similar clearance issue on 2010 Wahoo Disc with front derailleur on inside sprocket in granny gear. Nubs on the stock Bontrager tire would rub against front derailleur. Came this way from my LBS new setup. I had to really carefully adjust height and limits to get it to clear. Now it has clearance, but only a few mm. This is definately one of the cheapest componants on the bike and I've thought about replacing it with an XT front derailleur. It's working now, but any wider tire and it'd be a problem.