mtbr member
    Jan 2007

2010 Superly 100 rear creaking issue

Looking for help. I just bought a brand new 2010 Superfly 100. Basically sat new on the bike shop floor for about 1.5 years. Took the bike out on 3 rides and the bike developed a terrible rear creak that is only noticeable when grinding up really steep climbs (20%) or standing and putting a lot of power down. Took it back to the bike shop and they regreased all the pivot points and said they found the problem in the rear pivots where the wheel mounts. Took the bike out the next day and 5 miles into the ride up a steep 20% climb it starts creaking again.

I've read 2 things on line that might help.

1) the rear skewer on these bikes needs to be tightened super tight and the creak will stop. I'm going to try this tonight. Even after taking rear end apart and regreasing everything (myself) the bike is till creaking so it should be pretty evident if the a super tight skewer solves this.

2) I've read there was some sort of a manufacturing defect with the rear hub and a rebuild kit is out there from GF to solve the problem. Anyone have any details on this?

I'm hoping those that have dealt with this issue have resolved it since the bike has been out for almost 2 years. Any advice would be appreciated. Didn't really expect to have a bike that creaks 5 miles into every ride.

Thanks,
    Jon

JJ
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Check you cog set it might be loose.
    Just Do It!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ View Post
    Check you cog set it might be loose.
    Do you think its enough to check this with your hand or do you need a tool?

JJ
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I recently had a similar problem and it was a loose cog set.
    You do need a tool . They are cheap.
    Just Do It!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I've had both. The cassette worked itself loose after 500 miles or so, and then last time I put the rear wheel on I didn't tighten the skewer enough. Tightened up both cassette and QR and quiet as a mouse at the 6 hour race last weekend.

-Tom

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Yeah, I put my other rear wheel on it the other day and the creaked stopped. Switched back and put skewer on really tight and did a long ride. Creaks came back but not as bad. Need to look at tightening the cassette when I get back.

JJ
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Your on the right track..
    Just Do It!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I have the exact same problem with my 2010 Hifi Deluxe. The creak is driving me nuts. Same as the OP, it's only noticeable going up really steep climbs. If you find a solution to the problem, let me know. I'm going to head to the garage now and try the suggestions of the other posters: re-tighten up my rear cog and make sure that rear skewer is tight. I have a race sunday and if i can get rid of that damn creak, life would be good.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    It may sound silly and I don't know if this is the problem but I have a 2010 Marlin and I think my seatpost creaks. I noticed that it only happens when I am going uphill, in other words when lots of weight and pressure is on my seat. I never really looked into it though. Maybe that's the problem?
    "Sir, you're drunk!" "Yes, Madam, I am. But in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vollmerj View Post
    It may sound silly and I don't know if this is the problem but I have a 2010 Marlin and I think my seatpost creaks. I noticed that it only happens when I am going uphill, in other words when lots of weight and pressure is on my seat. I never really looked into it though. Maybe that's the problem?
    WOW what are the chances only reason I came in here was for the very same thing you mentioned with your 2010 Marlin. Same problem with 2010 Marlin too. LBS said it sounds like a seatpost creak, I thought the same thing. When I had it serviced last time, they were going to take care of it. Low and behold took it out riding and the creak came back. Maybe I need to check these things as well. Or maybe the next time I take it back tot he shop they take care of it, and I tell them what to check. Since I do have a 5 year service plan for these things. Only does it when there is some pressure on the seat too.

May I ask what color you got vollmerj?

Thanks for the post OP. You very well may have saved us Marlin riders some insanity as well!

Hmm any chance it is a 2010 Gary Fisher problem, seems to be common denominator in this thread.
    2010 Gary Fisher Marlin
    Upgrade-Wellgo MG-1 Pedals
    If you don't come back banged up and bruised, you didn't go hard enough!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Sorry, mine is a 2009. Still probably the same seatpost though. I have the black marlin with reynolds canyon wheelset and panaracer firexcpros
    "Sir, you're drunk!" "Yes, Madam, I am. But in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly."

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Creak and Squeak

I have a two month old HiFi deluxe and I have had to play a little game of who's that Noisey on the last few rides. One of them is similar to your creak. Im pretty sure its the spokes. Check the spoke tension. My spokes were really loose. I have tightened them up and Ill find out on my next ride. The other thing I was told to check was the rear hub. If the nut on the axle is to tight that could cause some issues.
    The squeak was actually the cable housing for the rear derailleur. It comes off the down tube then over the bottom pivot where it is zip tied. After much on the trail trial and error I found that if it slips into a certain position next to the pivot it squeaks every time the suspension moves. Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    same issue on my 2010 SF, please let us know if you figure it out...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    rear hub; to test, pull the freehub body and put grease between it and the axle. If the noise goes away it's the hub.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I have a 2011 SF 100 and had a creaking issue that would start after about 30 minutes of riding. It sounded like it was coming from the rear. I had the pivots scraped and greased and the creak was still there. Then I reajusted my seatpost and torqued it ( this time to not over tighten it) and the creak went away.......just my experience with my bike