Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

2010 Superfly SS Cracked?

I noticed a spot on my SFSS today after a ride. It looks like a black hair on the left seatstay.

It catches a fingernail when you rub over it. It doesn't appear to be impact damage, since there is no "spidering" from the area.

I think i am more afraid of it being top-coat damage, as I may have to dealwith it. At least an actual crack would be a new frame ( do they have 2011s yet?).

I am taking it in to the LBS tomorrow (where I bought it) but I know how you guys get about pictures.

mtbr member
    I have the same type of crack on my Super Fly 100 on my top tube and I am should be receiving my new frame this week. I promise you you will be getting a new frame.

mtbr member
    It kinda sucks. 3 months old. I am already considering "downgrading" to something metallic. I just don't know if I will get the weight back down.

I guess I am glad I made the choice (partially) based on warranty!

Thanks for the response.

mtbr member
    I had my SF 100 for 24 hours and it broke. I would not downgrade.... You have a lifetime warranty!!!! Even though mine broke in 24 hours I would buy it all over again if I had to. You probably got the one defective one in a run of a couple hundred. and the same thing happened to me. Keep the SF and enjoy it. I guarantee your new one will be perfectly fine.

mtbr member
    Yeah, probably nothing to worry about. I am just a bit crash prone, although in this case, it is a defect.

Otherwise, I love the frame.

I wonder if a crack like that would effect the ride. The bike kinda felt like the rear tire was low on air, the back felt funny during the ride yesterday.

mtbr member
    What I wold do is take a pencil and make a mark at the top of the crack and the bottom of the crack and go ride around your neighborhood and drop off of some curbs and see if the crack get's any bigger. If it doesn't then go hit the trail and monitor it closely. You don't want that seat stay to break in half when your hauling ass down a trail... OUCH.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasontech
    What I wold do is take a pencil and make a mark at the top of the crack and the bottom of the crack and go ride around your neighborhood and drop off of some curbs and see if the crack get's any bigger. If it doesn't then go hit the trail and monitor it closely. You don't want that seat stay to break in half when your hauling ass down a trail... OUCH.

That was what I was going to do if the shop doesn't keep it for replacement. Right now it is sitting in my office until lunch time.

mtbr member
    Back from the LBS. They didn't even question it, just looked around for more cracks.

They took pictures, and filed the claim while I was there. Now is the wait to see when a replacement will ship.

They were figuring a week, but we'll see. I just left it (but didn't need to) so they can do the swap ASAP.

mtbr member
    I'm waiting on my second week. Hopefully this week. :-)

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Well, my superfly 100 developed a 1-2 inch vertical crack on the back of the seat tube after about 20 rides. My LBS is incredible, but even they were unable to get a replacement for 2 weeks. I received the new one last week, raced one day, rode 2 other easy days, and noticed a crack in the exact same spot. I'm not sure how long this one will take to get replaced.

It really sucks, b/c this is probably the best bike I have ever ridden and certainly the most enjoyable. While I am grateful for the lifetime warranty, I don't have a backup race bike, which is a real problem.

Again, I have a great LBS whose customer service is second to none! But, there isn't much that can be done when replacement frames are on backorder for a few weeks, and missing big rides/races here and there can be a big problem as you ramp up to the mid/late season big races.

mtbr member
    I am not holding my breath for 1 week, just repeating what I was told. Anything more than 3 weeks will become an issue.

As for your bike, are using enough seat post? A cracked seat tube seems odd, but not moreso than where mine cracked. Just 2 frames in a row seems strange.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Yeah, it is very odd. The LBS and I seem to think that I have plenty of seat post, and the crack actually doesn't start until four to five inches below the seat clamp.

Hopefully you will get yours soon. I've gotta say, Trek seems to be really good about trying to help you out asap.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by goliver
    Yeah, it is very odd. The LBS and I seem to think that I have plenty of seat post, and the crack actually doesn't start until four to five inches below the seat clamp.

Hopefully you will get yours soon. I've gotta say, Trek seems to be really good about trying to help you out asap.

I read this post and went out into the garage and checked my superfly 100. I have a half inc crack in the same spot on the seat tube. I just brought it to the shop and they said it is definitely cracked. I love the bike though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Pride
    I read this post and went out into the garage and checked my superfly 100. I have a half inc crack in the same spot on the seat tube. I just brought it to the shop and they said it is definitely cracked. I love the bike though.
    Hmm, pretty interesting. I told one other friend (who also owns a 100) about it the other day, and he immediately went out and checked his, and sure enough he had the same crack. I am wondering if a lot of folks just haven't noticed the crack yet.

My frame is a 19.5. What is yours? I have noticed that there is a slightly different geometry near the seat tube on the 19.5 as opposed to the 17.5 (or 17?), and I wonder if that has anything to do with it. Any idea how long it is supposed to take for you to get a new one?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Crazy, a buddy of mine bought this same bike. For a minute, I thought you were him since he has the same name. Top tube cracked after the first week of riding it. The shop replaced his frame though and all is well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by goliver
    Hmm, pretty interesting. I told one other friend (who also owns a 100) about it the other day, and he immediately went out and checked his, and sure enough he had the same crack. I am wondering if a lot of folks just haven't noticed the crack yet.

My frame is a 19.5. What is yours? I have noticed that there is a slightly different geometry near the seat tube on the 19.5 as opposed to the 17.5 (or 17?), and I wonder if that has anything to do with it. Any idea how long it is supposed to take for you to get a new one?
    I don't know if you are asking me, or the other guy, but my frame is also a 19"

I have been thinking about what could have caused the crack. The only obvious answer is the force from braking. I have a 160mm back there, so it isn't a huge rotor by any means.

However, if it was braking force, it seems more likely that the crack would be on the bottom of the tube, as that seems like the direction of force. Although it could be a compression crack, and not a tension one?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by RotorBalls
    Crazy, a buddy of mine bought this same bike. For a minute, I thought you were him since he has the same name. Top tube cracked after the first week of riding it. The shop replaced his frame though and all is well.
    Yeah, I'm not terribly upset by it as the LBS handled the past issue perfectly and is doing the same on this one. However, I just learned that the new frame isn't expected to be shipped until the beginning of July. Now, this is what irks me. 2 cracked frames in a little more than a months time, and b/c they didn't make enough frames, I will have lost about a month of riding time on that bike. I reckon it should be like a car warranty issue, where they give you a rental car in the interim that is of the same value.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Mine is the 19" Large frame. All is good though. The shop will take care of it with Trek/Fisher. I love the bike and some are bound to break. I think it is the price you pay when trying for a bike that is so light.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Pride
    Mine is the 19" Large frame. All is good though. The shop will take care of it with Trek/Fisher. I love the bike and some are bound to break. I think it is the price you pay when trying for a bike that is so light.
    My LBS definitely takes care of it and me through trek/fisher, and I agree to some extent that there is often a price you might pay when going with such a light bike. However, part of me is disappointed that they even put a bike out there that can break so easily. With my first crack, I figured it was just a random occurance. Though, the second crack in just 3 fairly light rides (and a friend with a crack in the same place) makes it seem a bit more chronic.

I am hoping that Trek sends my LBS about 6 frames so that I can make it through the season without waiting 2-3 weeks each time for a replacement. If I can make it to that point I figure they will send me a 2011 sans the problems.

mtbr member
    Warranty ship date update!!! I just found out that production on all Super Fly 100's have been suspended. My LBS had a SF 100 on allocation and yesterday it was gone so it couldn't be released. Come to find out that all SF 100 production has been suspended and new release dates are July 7th. The pause in production is due to problems found in the molding. Go figure.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    My SF 100 is cracked also, same exact spot as the others. 4"-5" below the seat collar in 2 different places and about 1" in front of the seat collar. LBS took pictures and filed the claim late this afternoon. It seems to be more on the top layers than on the inside of the seat tube. I've got one more race I need to do next weekend and I'll be riding this frame till it's replaced. I'll keep everyone posted in the event of a catastrophic failure. As a side note has anyone started getting a little bit of up and down play in the rear pivots yet?

mtbr member
    Glad I got the HiFi pro. Not sure how much heavier it is than the SF100 but it is beefy. I think GF should offer an OCLV and a Aluminum HiFi speced the same way or offer both as a frameset.
    JRA Cycles
    My Trek HiFi
    NEMBA Racing
    SNEMBA
    I love learning new things in my pajamas.

mtbr member
    My LBS gave some warning about being careful with my frame to avoid catastrophic failure, or crash damage while waiting for my replacement. Apparently the warranty could be voided, or the claim.

I doubt that would actually happen, but be forewarned.

mtbr member
    Man, I hope I get the new Superfly Gary Fisher Edition from Trek!

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...flyssframeset/

mtbr member
    Got a call from my LBS at 3:30 this afternoon.

They have received my replacement frame and had the transfer complete.

I will pick it up tomorrow after work.

I must say I am pretty impressed. I dropped it on Monday at noon, and it was done 3:30 on Thursday. Pretty much 3 day turn-around.

I assume it is a 2010. I will end up chatting with them about the whole GF Collection thing tomorrow, I am sure.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast