mtbr member
    Sep 2009

2010 Piranha, broke my first part

Im not sure what I hit I was just riding the trail I ride every weekend about 4 miles from my house. There are alot of tree roots in the section where it broke so that must have been it. I thought the hanger was supposed to break before the derailleur, it just bent a little. Any chance they will warranty this? Ill probably be buying a new one should I step up to a x-7 (the broken one is a sram x-5) Im not as concerned with weight as I am durability.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2010 Piranha, broke my first part-img_0505.jpg  

I hate that name.
    The hanger is supposed to break or bend instead of the frame. The derailleur is often a casualty as well. You need a new derailleur, hanger, and possibly a cable if that one is kinked bad enough. Definitely not warranty. In my experience, the cause is often from the chain getting jammed in the derailleur. Unless you stop pedaling immediately, you'll rip the thing right off.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    you should look on ebay. you can get a x9 for probably 80 or less and its a good upgrade. want to upgrade mine but ill probably do the shifters too so im waiting.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yeah, the last time I scragged a deraileur it tweaked the hanger as well.
    There is no way the deraileur is going to be more durable than the hanger.
    Too much monkey motion and small parts.