mtbr member

2010 marlin disc

morning, any suggestions on an upgrade fork for this bike, dart 3 installed now, im not unhappy with it but i know there is something better. anyway i do want to keep the geometry the same with the g2 frame, the dart is 100mm and has the offset crown.
    price is an option so that is a consideration. brand model is not key. the recon race is one model i have seen eg., thanks jason

mtbr member
    May 2008
    first what do you want in a fork? there is no one fork that is ideal ofr every situation. your weight, your riding style, where you ride.DO you want adjustable travel? next do you want an air sprung or coil sprung fork? the key is adjustability. compression and rebound really let you adjust your fork to the situation. some forks have platform valves that keep your peddaling from making the bike bob and waste energy.
    I was on a marlin till i cracked the seattube. i now have a replacement frame with carbon fiber stays and no name. same geometry though. my personal choice was a manitou mintue 3 32mm stanchions spv evolve 130mm travel. the extra travel slightly relaxes my head angle. it is slightly less agile n the climbs but a world of difference on the downhill. that being siad i think a 120 would be my ideal length.
    i have used and recomend fox manitou and marzocchi. some rock shox are great others are are horrid. figure out is most important in a fork to you and hit the new. last years models allways get clearanced so they can stock new. buying a 3 year old top end fork is still way beyond the current midgrade models. used forks can be scary but coil sprung fox vanillas will circulate forever.