Trying not to kill myself

2010 HiFi Deluxe for a novice rider?

Hi all,

I'm a long time cyclist but fairly new mountain biker, and I'm in the market for my first 'real' bike. I love the 29er feel and my 39 year old back loves rear suspension. I'm close to pulling the trigger on an 2011 Specialized Camber, but I just came across a very good deal on a 2010 HiFi Deluxe. I test rode a HiFi Plus not too long ago, and I liked the feel of the bike. But the test was pretty limited and I didn't get a chance to do a full demo on all kinds of terrain. I'll ride a little on the street/greenway, but most of my riding will be on fireroads, bridle trails and single track (as my skills develop). So I guess I really need a good all around bike, and I'm not so sure about the HiFi with its 'XC race bike' description. Should I be concerned about the handling being too fast or me beating the bike up too much as I learn? I certainly won't be hucking off everything or doing much to push the bike's limits at first, but I'm sure there will be plenty more noob moments where I'm not nearly as clean as I need to be in the rougher stuff.

Any advice would be much appreciated!
    Last edited by gabe23; 09-16-2010 at 12:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Bike will be a great all arounder. Buy it if the price is right.
    JRA Cycles
    My Trek HiFi
    NEMBA Racing
    SNEMBA
    I love learning new things in my pajamas.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Gabe,

I don't think that you will feel that the bike is too fragile and too "Race XC". I just picked up one of the 2010 HIFI Deluxes in May and it too was my first really nice mountain bike. Before that I rode a rigid 97 Tassajara to my local trails and around the city (Atlanta). I was originally looking at the HIFI Deluxe and the Rumblefish but ultimately for the trails I was riding I ended up going with the Deluxe and have been extremely happy with it. It has taken all the punishment I been able to throw at it including straight falls due to not being able to get my feet out of the pedals quick enough.

I do not think that the steering on this bike is overly quick either due to the wide nature of the Big Sweep that they put on the bike. It is quick enough for what it needs to be but I have seen a lot of people talking about replacing theirs with something shorter (quicker).

To sum up: the bike does not have a super "racey" feel to it, it WILL take what you can dish out, and the steering seems to be somewhere in the middle of quick and slow.

I can't speak to the Specialize Camber but I do love my Deluxe. I'll never ride a 26" bike again.

Trying not to kill myself
    Thanks a lot for the feedback, guys. The bike seemed fine to me, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. I like the idea of having one of the last GF branded bikes, and the HiFi really looks stunning in person. There's something to be said for having a bike that looks so good you're inspired to ride it. I also like the sweep bars, and since I've spent a lot of time on a hybrid in recent years, it'll be close to what I'm used to.

The component spec on the GF is a bit better than the Camber, and it's a lower price as well. Looks like I'd better get down there tomorrow and take care of some business.