Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

2010 hifi deluxe creak?

Posting to see if anyone else has run into this. I have had this a little over a month now but when I first got it on the second ride (about 25miles on the bike) it started developing a creak when the rear suspension would start going through it's travel. Only on the smaller rolling bumps where it was constantly moving and not really on the bigger hits, but constant..

From the best I can tell it is coming from the forward shock mount, but it's hard to hear where when you're riding, and another weird thing is that is seems to only start after riding for a few minutes....maybe after getting heated up in the sun? Since it takes a few miles to get going it is hard to reproduce in the shop and they don't see anything wrong. I have taken it in twice and they cannot see anything, they have tightened all the bolts to the specified torque, checked the BB/cranks, but sure enough on the trail it starts again.

I'm pretty sure it's the rear shock pivot somewhere because it makes the loud creaking regardless if I'm pedaling, standing, turning..whatever, as long as the shock is moving it's doing it. I have also ruled out the seat post or rails as well, because trail side I will stop and push down on the top tube and reproduce the sound....just cannot in the shop, must be a temperature thing after sitting in the car or my apartments AC.

Also, it does not sound like a high pitched squeak like the shock needs to be serviced either, its a very audible creak...kinda like when the GF rig EBB is acting up (Rig owners you know...) but it's coming from the shock joint somewhere...

Anyone else having this issue?? Suggestions..

Thanks in advance,
    Last edited by mrilo; 08-18-2010 at 07:42 AM.

mtbr member
    You could judiciously drip some triflow at the shock pivot point to see if that resolves the issue.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Check the torque on all of the pivots.

mtbr member
    Shop has already checked all the pivot bolts for proper torque....twice.

I might try the triflow, but I want to come to the shop with something. Maybe have them service and lube all the pivots, but it's a new bike and should not be having issues like this. I just hope it's not a frame issue.

Trail Cubist
    My suspension doesn't creak...I don't think...but I've experiencing a LOT of creaking from the general area of my cranks and bottom bracket, mainly on climbs (when pressure is on the cranks).

I checked all the chainring bolts—they're torqued down tight. And I'm 99% sure there is nothing wrong with the BB bearings (they're external and seem perfectly fine).

So maybe I need to check the suspension again?

Scott
    29er wheels are dangerous. They may cause you to go faster which can result in serious bodily injury. —Jim311

Trail Hessian

check your headset

I had a similar creak in my HiFi Pro 2010, I suspected my crankset also, but just on a hunch I pulled my headset apart and noticed some kind of shavings or grit on the fork's steerer tube. I wiped it and the bearings clean, coated everything with fresh grease and now it's quiet.
    Not saying that's your problem, but it's one more thing to help with troubleshooting.

Good luck, those creaks are maddening.
    That's not what he said, you ignorant wretch. Your Spanish is worse than your English.

mtbr member
    The BB/Crank was the shops first guess. The shop installed the cranks wrong at first and it destroyed the BB, so SRAM sent another one out and it got installed fine. But that was not the issue and the creaking continued. It will creak even when not pedaling or even with my feet off the pedals, just when the suspension is moving.....so who knows.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrilo
    I might try the triflow, but I want to come to the shop with something. Maybe have them service and lube all the pivots, but it's a new bike and should not be having issues like this. I just hope it's not a frame issue.
    Yea, but a few seconds may solve the problem and you would be done with it. That would also aid in determining if that's where the noise was coming from. Just because something is new doesn't mean it's perfect out of the store, many things I buy require a little tweaking here and there to make them right and I sure don't want to be running back to the store all the time without doing a little investigation myself.

Anyway, that would be my approach but I understand everyone is different. Good luck in isolating the problem.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Be sure not to lube any of the pivots that use a bushing. They do not need any lube or grease and it is not recommended.

Davir

check

for cracked swing arm

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by josh8
    Be sure not to lube any of the pivots that use a bushing. They do not need any lube or grease and it is not recommended.
    I don't think a teflon lube will be a problem regardless of what is recommended. The same thing is said about fork stanchions, and I have been using triflow on those for many years without issue.

You definitely don't want to use grease.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    yes, i have the same problem with my hi-fi 2009 creak creak creak

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BumpityBump
    I don't think a teflon lube will be a problem regardless of what is recommended. The same thing is said about fork stanchions, and I have been using triflow on those for many years without issue.

You definitely don't want to use grease.
    Lubing them with anything will create more noise than it will solve.

mtbr member
    Lubing them with anything will create more noise than it will solve.
    Yes, and I have been lubing things on my bike that I "wasn't supposed to" with various products for over 20 years with no ill effect.

I have used wd-40 on cables where it enters the housing, triflow on pivots and stanchions, and I even wash my bike with the water hose and a nozzle. Oh, the horror.

If it were me, I would drop some lube on there. Others obviously disagree, but a lot of people have been using lube on pivots for a long time. The arguments against are that it attracts dirt and may eventually cause damage to the bushings. I haven't had any problems, so guess I will continue to live on the edge.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Well Trek/Gary Fisher does not recommend it but I guess you are free to do as you wish.

mtbr member
    Well Trek/Gary Fisher does not recommend it but I guess you are free to do as you wish.
    Thank you. I was anxiously awaiting your approval.

mrilo:
    It seems several people have had this problem for the first few miles of riding and the noise went away once the bushings wore in. Another potential is the air can is not threaded all the way in, or has dry threads. You could have the shop double check the shock.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the advice guys. I will try some of the suggestions, it's just frustrating when I cannot reproduce in the shop. They are a good LBS and I'm pretty sure they will take care of me once we get to the bottom of it. They told me to bring it in right after a ride so they can hear it.....
    Last edited by mrilo; 08-19-2010 at 01:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    The creaking on my hifi is from the air can not being threaded tight.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    my creaking was from cracked frame, warranty!!!

mtbr member
    check your rear skewer.

i know it sounds funny but seriously check it. i had a creaking sound on my 2010 hifi pro last fall and it was driving me nuts. i checked everything to no avail. was on a ride with a buddy of mine that used to wrench on the usa cycling squad and he said "man tighten your rear skewer, im tired of listening to that thing" sure enough, that fixed it.

hope it helps
    "who's pushing the pedals on the season cycle?" -xtc

mtbr member
    So, I think I can rule out the Air can looks like it was tightened down properly. As for cracks, it has been inspected by my shop twice and by me with a bright light over and over and I cannot see anything noticeable... unless it's a hairline crack behind a bolt I just cannot see.

As for the skewer, it pretty tight, Maybe the ABP joints need tightening....not sure. I'll let you guys know when I get to the bottom of this.. Thanks for the input so far..

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jerjon7
    my creaking was from cracked frame, warranty!!!

Yo, where did yours crack? I am getting the same type of stuff, Checked EVERYTHING.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

same here on the creak....

Hey all -
    Same thing here....last week I picked up my 2011 hifi deluxe and this weekend went out on my first ride.... the entire ride it was doing exactly what mrilo said and I to am 99% sure it is the rear shock area. I also thought about the headset and rear skewer but it really does seems like the shock. As soon as I got home I put some triflow on the pivot points. I wiped them dry/clean and got back on for a quick spin around my house... it was a quiet as can be and seems to have done the trick. I have to go out for a longer ride to see but the triflow on the pivot points looks like it took care of everything. That being said.....I put it on VERY lightly and then wiped every bit of excess off. I'll let you know after my next ride this week.

My buddy owns the shop I got my ride from and he also used to work for trek....he told me the lube approach is fine as long as you aren't going nuts on the bike.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Check your air cans. Only way to check is to let all the air out of it. Then tighten it by hand. Very diificult to tighten it while it has air. That and my cracked seatpost were my problems.

Pirate!!!
    My 2010 creaked when it was about a month old also. Drove me nuts. Triflo to the rescue!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast