mtbr member

2010 Hifi 29er Deluxe BB type & width?

Looking to put some new cranks on a 2010 GF hifi deluxe 29er and am not sure what BB to get, I see 68mm and 73mm widths as pretty common. I think I read somewhere that the SF100 was 73 but was not sure if the hifi was the same. So if anyone knows the width that would be great. Also, I assume it uses english threading??

Thanks in advance.

I hate that name.
    No threading, the bearings ride in the frame. Its called BB85. If you stick with Shimano cranks, you won't need to change the BB at all. My RF1 (essentially the same frame) came with the same cranks as your Deluxe but I switched them for SLX's right out of the box.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

mtbr member
    Thanks.... so was going to pick up a SRAM noir crankset but the stock BB's are threaded, does this mean I cannot use this with my frame?? Or do I need to find a 3rd party BB?

I found this:
    http://www.masherz.com/products/sram/gxpbb86.htm

It says bb86 not 85 so might this work with the noir cranks and the hifi frame?

Thanks

I hate that name.
    Sorry, I just looked it up and its called BB95, not BB85. Your LBS should have or can get the necessary bearings to run the SRAM cranks. The driveside is the same, but the nondrive bearing is specific to the SRAM/Truvativ design.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blunderbuss
    No threading, the bearings ride in the frame. Its called BB85. If you stick with Shimano cranks, you won't need to change the BB at all. My RF1 (essentially the same frame) came with the same cranks as your Deluxe but I switched them for SLX's right out of the box.
    Blunderbuss- I'm doing the same as you with my RF and going to 170mm SLX. But my question is, at some point down the road if/when the bearings are trashed, does that mean we are talking pressing the old out and new in? Uck. Not the best design froma maintenance standpoint, IMO. But my "O" is only from a noobs perspective...
    And was that a FC-M660 you put on with no problems?

I hate that name.
    Quote Originally Posted by Noclutch
    Blunderbuss- I'm doing the same as you with my RF and going to 170mm SLX. But my question is, at some point down the road if/when the bearings are trashed, does that mean we are talking pressing the old out and new in? Uck. Not the best design froma maintenance standpoint, IMO. But my "O" is only from a noobs perspective...
    And was that a FC-M660 you put on with no problems?
    Bearings, yes press in and out. Not a big deal, takes less time than removing and installing outboard bb cups, and the bearings are cheap. I plan on replacing them a couple times a year. I have done it many, many times on Trek Madones. Crankset, yes, SLX 660's. 665's are double ring bash. Although I did change the 44t for a Spot bash- I went with 660's because I wanted the 32t.