mtbr member
    Jul 2010

2010 Green Marlin?

I think I'm finally deciding on a Fisher Marlin for my first real mtb. I called my LBS to make sure they still had a 2010 in stock, and they said they'll hold a green one for me until Monday. My question is, is there a green 2010 Marlin? What I've seen on the GF website are the white and chili red, but maybe I'm missing something?

Please help!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Definitely not a green 2010 model, at least as far as I've ever seen. (unless you count this with some green graphics: http://fisherbikes.com/bike/model/marlin-disc-gs )

2009 however, had 2.

http://fisherbikes.com/bike/archivemodel/461

http://fisherbikes.com/bike/archivemodel/460

I would call them to clarify the year and if they continue to insist it's 2010, verify what the rear derailleur is. On the '09's it's a Shimano M531 Deore and on the '10's it's a Shimano Deore M592 Shadow. Should settle it for sure I would think.

Oh, another big difference. the '09's had Rockshox Dart 2 on them. The '10's have Dart 3.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Well I called again today and didn't get much of an answer because they were supposedly swamped. The guy did reiterate though that its a 2010, and his explanation is that if a color doesn't sell well Fisher will often mix it up and change the paint scheme. He said the bike was in the warehouse out back and he couldn't get back there right now.

I emailed Trek to see if I can get an answer, and will call both the LBS and Trek on Monday morning as well.

If it is indeed the 2009 you linked to above, is it still worth buying with the difference in fork and rear derailleur? And if so what's a fair price to pay? Right now the purchase price is going to be $626, assuming its the 2010.

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I realize I mistakenly linked the incorrect bike for the top 09 I linked. It should be: http://fisherbikes.com/bike/archivemodel/459.

What this means is that not only if it is an 09, and the derailleurs and fork are different, but the green 09 models are also lacking the disc brakes as well.

The only marlin that would qualify as a green '10 does have disc brakes as well as the upgraded components.

Given that information, I'd say if it's the '10 Marlin Disc GS (the one I linked first in my original post), it's a good deal at $626. If it's as they claim and just a "repainted" '10 Marlin(no disc brakes), I'd say the price is a bit too high and I would try to get them to come down a bit on it ('10's are on the way out and not too far away from clearance status). If it's just an '09 Marlin (no disc brakes, dart 2 fork etc) the price is certainly too high and I would talk them down another $100 or so at least.

I must say that I've never heard of this "color not doing so well thing so they mix it up" policy before. Especially for the '10 colors of the Marlin, red and white are pretty much universally acceptable colors and I see more than I can count while riding around.

I guess the other possibility is that it was damaged in shipment to the store and they did a frame replacement or something and ended up with the '09 frame? Something like that seems more likely than Fisher deciding, this late in the game, to "mix up" their paint scheme.

Good luck in getting more information, you've piqued my interest so let us know what you find out!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thanks for the reply jmaxin.

As an update, I called Trek this morning and discussed this with someone. He looked through the 2010 catalog and confirmed that there were no green 2010 Marlins, only chili red and pearl white. There was a 2010 GS model in silver with green detailing, but that's not what I'm looking for. The green Marlin is in fact the 2009.

I'm going today to see the bike, and frankly, the only reason I'm even dealing with this particular LBS is because they're the only ones that even have the bike (not interested in a 2011 Trek-branded GF collection Marlin - totally different bike anyway). From my 2-3 phone calls with them, they're extremely rude and discourteous, and I've heard bad news about them from others as well. If they decide to be jerks and insist that its a 2010, or concede that its a 2009 but not want to come any lower on price, then I'm just going to walk away. I'm already calling LBS's a little further away to see if they have anything, just in case.

I'll keep you all updated.

Newb to MTN Biking
    Apr 2010
    I have a 2010 GF Marlin it came RED and I have not seen a green one.

Truly Doneski
    Sep 2009
    Keep us posted, sounds like the LBS is trying to screw with you

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Woops, forgot about this thread after I bought the bike. lol

Turns out it was a 2009, and I was able to get it for about $560. Also, the LBS turned out to be pretty decent. The guy I dealt with was a little rough around the edges to be sure, but helpful and had a good sense of humor.

Happy with my purchase, and am enjoying riding around light trails until I can hopefully get to Amelia Earhart this weekend.