mtbr member
    Jan 2005

2010 Fisher Superfly 100 Frame reviews

What are the recent reviews/ performance experiences with the 2010 Superfly 100 frame? I am hearing that the rear triangle/stays are subject to unwanted lateral and tortional flex? This is based on several rider/writer reviews and my observation that the complex overlapping pivots is perhaps a bandaid to a previous inferior design. Why have a frame with intersecting and duplicate chainstays/chainstay pivots as a "fix to a previously inferior design", apparently resolved the by the intersection with the "miracle' ABP axle? Just asking? Perhaps patent infringement with VPP, or Horst Link is really the limitation? Is this Trek ABP really the best system, which lends its self to creaking and flex?
    Alternatively, and bottom line, is this really a perceptible problem in terms of rider experience? I have not had the privelige of riding a demo bike, but to me and others reviewers, the rear triangle stiffness remains probamatic? Any real world perceptions/ opinions on the design? Rider input? Quick, before I sell the farm to buy one! Somthing tells me to wait for 2011?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    The bike is great, really nothing else to say. If you want something similar try the Tall Boy. After that there is nothing comparable weight-wise. Silly review on Cycling News yesterday. They basically converted a race bike (SF100) into a trail bike to be more comfortable on it. So silly. It comes with light-ish wheels and light tires to be light and fast for racing. Best bike I've ever ridden. The Tall Boy from my one ride seemed to be just as nice if not better.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    They are a really nice bike to ride, but i have two friends who have both snapped frames withing 500km of riding,

Not an O2 thief.
    Feb 2004
    ABP is awesome. Great in breaking bumps, excellent climber, plush on the descents. The bike has a low BB which makes it super fun on the descents, but I'm sure to destroy my cranks before the end of the season. The paint sucks. It comes off very easily. I've cracked the lower two times now, but I couldn't tell it was cracked.

I weigh 200 lbs and I'm a fast racer....I set it up as a SS with a tensioner. I don't notice any lateral flex....even when riding with a cracked lower.
    Roll over the weak and bunny hop the dead!

Blog this...!

El Paso Puzzler 35 or 50 miler

Plastic homer
    Quote Originally Posted by fastmtnbiker33w
    ABP is awesome. Great in breaking bumps, excellent climber, plush on the descents. The bike has a low BB which makes it super fun on the descents, but I'm sure to destroy my cranks before the end of the season. The paint sucks. It comes off very easily. I've cracked the lower two times now, but I couldn't tell it was cracked.

I weigh 200 lbs and I'm a fast racer....I set it up as a SS with a tensioner. I don't notice any lateral flex....even when riding with a cracked lower.
    Fixed now?

eschewing obfuscation
    Quote Originally Posted by fastmtnbiker33w

a very similar review from me. i race endurance and xc and weigh 185lbs. the fastest bike i've ever ridden, by far (including my superfly ht). a bit slow, like any 29er, in the tight and twisty stuff but the time is made up everywhere else in my experience. i too have cracked two frames (the bridge of the chainstays) yet trek has replaced them in a flash and are now using a different lay-up so as to limit the chances of failure (which was not catastrophic and, in fact, i didn't even notice until an inspection after the failure). as for frame flex... huh? every fully squishy bike flexes some; that's part of the deal. this bike flexes far less than any other i have ridden (other than a ht). apb is the best design, imo, by far. g2 rocks. light. stiff. fast. great ergo's (thought the tt is a bit short and the bb is a bit low). i run different components (xtr drivetrain vs. noir/xo, for example) but the frame is the bomb!
    "Bikes have wheels." -Noam Chomsky

Not an O2 thief.
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 44gnats
    a very similar review from me. i race endurance and xc and weigh 185lbs. the fastest bike i've ever ridden, by far (including my superfly ht). a bit slow, like any 29er, in the tight and twisty stuff but the time is made up everywhere else in my experience. i too have cracked two frames (the bridge of the chainstays) yet trek has replaced them in a flash and are now using a different lay-up so as to limit the chances of failure (which was not catastrophic and, in fact, i didn't even notice until an inspection after the failure). as for frame flex... huh? every fully squishy bike flexes some; that's part of the deal. this bike flexes far less than any other i have ridden (other than a ht). apb is the best design, imo, by far. g2 rocks. light. stiff. fast. great ergo's (thought the tt is a bit short and the bb is a bit low). i run different components (xtr drivetrain vs. noir/xo, for example) but the frame is the bomb!
    My lower was broken in the same place and they were replaced in a timely manner.
    Roll over the weak and bunny hop the dead!

Blog this...!

El Paso Puzzler 35 or 50 miler