mtbr member
    Jul 2011

2010 Cobia, going rate?

Just curious if this is worth jumping on...

I was looking for a 2011 Mamba, so I called a dealer about 30 minutes away from me... they said they were out of my frame size for the Mamba but had a leftover 2010 Cobia. I asked him for a price on the leftover Cobia, and he said "probably like $150 off, so in the same ballpark as the Mamba". Well, the Mamba's (both 2011 and 2012) are going for about $769 currently after a rebate (I think $809 regular).

So I'm thinking about going in and offering $800 out the door.... or maybe less? He said the 2012's are on their way in, so I'd think they're itching to get it off their floor. The bike would also come with "lifetime adjustments", and when I asked if that included bleeding brakes (for the 2012 Mamba), he said it does not.... so I'm leaning towards the '11 Mamba (which they're out of) or the '10 Cobia just for ease of mechanical brakes (I'm a beginner and I'm used to them anyhow)

Also, anyone who has experience with any of the models listed, chime in please ... I'm thinking if I can get it for $800 out the door, maybe throw in a tire pump or something, I'll be a proud new Cobia owner.

JB1
    mtbr member
    Trek website shows the 2010 Cobia with hydro brakes (Promax Hornet). Chances are they cannot get you a 2011 Mamba beacause they are getting 2012's in, so that leaves you with the 2010 Cobia or the 2012 Mamba. IMO,the Cobia is better equiped. That being the case, the 2012 Mamba has hydros also (Shimano's), so you might have to get over your fear of hydro's either way. Or just sell the hydro's later and buy some BB'7's.

2010 Cobia
    http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/2010/archive/cobia

I hate that name.
    That link is the 2011. 2010 was an actual Gary Fisher: http://fisherbikes.com/bike/model/cobia If you can it for $800, go for it.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Rode the 11 Mamba and 10 Cobia today, and slightly preferred the Cobia... brakes felt better, preferred the seat and the shifters, and the fork felt a bit more stiff (which I liked). I wasn't quite as "nimble" on the Cobia, but it overall felt a bit better.

Shop was firm at $850 out the door for the Cobia, and it was around $850+tax for the Mamba... asked if they'd come down a bit on the Cobia, but they're firm.

I think now its time for more research, decide if $850 is worth it for my first bike, maybe ride some others or shop around. May even be worth waiting til shops get the '12's in and asking again about the '10 Cobia if its still there.

JB1
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blunderbuss View Post
    That link is the 2011. 2010 was an actual Gary Fisher: http://fisherbikes.com/bike/model/cobia If you can it for $800, go for it.
    Yeah- you're right. I wonder how that happened? The link itself even says 2010 cobia, but now that you mention it, 2010 had the FISHER paint scheme, not the GF collection paint.
    Then Im not sure which brakes the 2010 Cobia has. I'll take the word of the OP that they are mech becasue my 2008 Cobia was mech BB5.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Avid BB5 mechanical disc, 160mm rotors
    SRAM X.5 Rear Derailleur and shifters
    Shimano Deore Front Derailleur
    Shimano FC-M442 44/32/22 Octalink
    RockShox Tora SL 29, 80mm travel
    Shimano M475 hubs, Bontrager Ranger Disc 29 rims

I mean... I think it'd be worth the $850 OTD price that they are "firm" on. I'm just debating whether it'd be responsible to spend that on a first bike, much less a hobby that I'm new at and don't know if I'll use it like I should. I may go back up there later this week with $800 cash, or if they still won't budge, I'll see if they can hook me up on some accessories.

I'd be more comfortable spending around $500-600 on a beginner bike, but I know I'd end up being unhappy with the components.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Just bought the 2011 mamba a month ago for $800 out the door. I wanted the cobia but no one had any within 100 miles. This if my first mountain bike as well. I already been bit by the bug and wanting to upgrade already. Mine came with bb5 brakes which at first i wanted to upgrade to hydraulic for 1 finger braking and the "cool" factor but after almost throwing myself over the bars a couple times, I think they are adequate. I think i'll just replace things as they break mean while save up for a full suspension. I've taken a few good falls and had to been my hanger back once and re-true my wheels. other than that, its a great bike. Mine also came with tora tk which has a coil. its a heavy fork and depending on your weight, you might have to change the spring. the cobia had air so adjusting that would be much easier.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Yeah I'm leaning towards the '10 Cobia... They both had the "same brakes" but the Cobia's felt way better, may have just been from being broke in from people test riding it at the shop. I'm 6'3 250lbs, and the Cobia's front fork also felt a bit better.

I'm probably gonna go in the door tomorrow with $800 cash and see if they'll take it... looking around, it seems like that's a good price for a 2 year old bike and the '12 Cobia's coming in within the next few weeks.
    Last edited by sxshep; 07-27-2011 at 06:53 PM.

JB1
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sxshep View Post
    Yeah I'm leaning towards the '10 Cobia... They both had the "same brakes" but the Cobia's felt way better, may have just been from being broke in from people test riding it at the shop. I'm 6'3 250lbs, and the Cobia's front fork also felt a bit better.

I'm probably gonna go in the door tomorrow with $800 cash and see if they'll take it... looking around, it seems like that's a good price for a 2 year old bike and the '12 Cobia's coming in within the next few weeks.
    JUST DO IT before someone else does!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    So I went to the shop, with cash sticking out of my pockets... Same dude was working, and I took out $750 (after having been told previously that the best they can do is $850 out the door. Well, my intention was to get him to come down a bit in price, since the '12s are coming out in a few weeks (according to him).

So anyway, he said that $850 was the best they could do... and I repeated "Man that sucks... so $850 OTD is the best?" and he replied "No no no, $850 + tax is the best". "Wait, you said $850 out the door last week....". "No I didn't... we have to pay tax like anyone else, I wouldn't have said that".

So I said thanks anyways and left... I guess it's time to hang onto my money until I find a good deal somewhere else. Or maybe go back in a few weeks with the same $750, wipe the dust off the bike, push the 2012's aside and ask again if they're still firm on that price for a 2y/o bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    youre more patient than me. I went in to the store, shopped trek 4500's, tested my first 29er (cobia) and loved it, but had to feel the difference in components between that and the Xcal. Needless to say, I went from purchasing a $750 Trek 4500 to a 2011 Xcal for $1550. Boy did i love the decision! Forget nickel and diming the Cobia. Test the Xcal and you'll notice the difference. The biggest difference is the upgraded fork (air). Just dont test the paragon or you and your wallet will be sorry.....like me!