mtbr member
    Jul 2007

2009 HiFi Geometry & Sizing

Hi
    I'm trying to size a 2009 Gary Fisher HiFi Deluxe (26 inch wheel) between a Small (16 inch) or medium (17.5 inch) size. I'm 5' 6" (168 cm) and have a 31 in inseam (79 cm). Pant inseam length is 30 in.
    Riding style: I ride the local trails near seattle. Twisty turny, usually wet root infested stuff as well a longer rockier rides in the mountains with occasional big fire road climbs. I don't do any big drops, but I would like to become faster on downhill sections.
    Previous bikes: Specialized stumpjumper FSR 2002 medium 22.6 in Top tube, Bontrager Privateer medium 22.6 in top tube.

The Geometry is listed on the Fisher website here: http://fisherbikes.com/bike/archivemodel/480

On a side note.
    However, the Chart lists the small as a 16" but the sticker on the actual bike says 15.5" did they change the size of the small and not change the chart?
    The center to top seatpost measurement is 16".

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I got the Small 16 inch bike because the top tube was closest to length of my previous bikes. 0.2 inchs shorter However, the Fit is quite different. The Fisher has a short 75mm stem. My previous bikes had 105m and 120mm stems. The distance from the saddle tip to handle bar is about 3 inchs shorter on the Fisher. Likewise distance from handlebar to back of saddle is about 3 inchs longer on the old bikes.

So did I make a mistake basing the new bike size on Top tube length from older XC style bikes? Or is the new style All mountain fit that is correct for me?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Genesis 2.0 Geometry and longer stem

My size small HiFi handles great. At least at low speeds woods type riding. I'll try it on some faster stuff today.

Except
    I'm hitting my knees on shift levers/handlebars during out of the sadddle climbs. The bike is a size small and it has a 75mm Stem.
    How much is a longer stem going to mess up the Handling?