OnTheTrailAgain

2009 Gary Fisher Roscoe I

I had to start a thread on my bike.
    No pics yet because I'm having some work done to it,
    but I will document how the work goes.

But, till then, to all Roscoe owners (or to anybody very familiar with Roscoes), any suggestions with my new bike?

mtbr member
    Crank Bros adjustable seat post. Makes bike transition to tougher sections with ease.

OnTheTrailAgain
    Quote Originally Posted by cooleymtnbiker1
    Crank Bros adjustable seat post. Makes bike transition to tougher sections with ease.
    2nd time I've heard that particular suggestion.

OnTheTrailAgain
    Upgrade List:

Stage I
    • ODI Ruffian Grips
    • Easton EC70 Bar
    • Thomson Elite Stem
    • Thomson Elite Seat Post
    • WTB Rocket V SLT Saddle
    • Shimano M770 XT Crankset
    • Shimano M770 XT Pedals
    • Tubeless Conversion for stock Bontrager XDX's

Weight savings expectations? 1.5 lbs off of stock weight.

Does anybody have a stock weight for the Roscoe I?

Two items "add" weight to stock items:
    +32 grams for the pedals, but the XT's are far better than the Candy C's for me
    +36 grams for the stem, but the Thomson is superior to the Bontrager Race Lite

Anybody got any upgraded Roscoe's?
    List upgrades?
    Weight savings?
    Last edited by 2ndgen; 04-04-2009 at 10:46 PM.

OnTheTrailAgain
    Stage II

• Avid Elixir CR Brakes
    • Full XTR/X.0 Drivetrain
    • Roscoe III Shock & TALAS Fork
    • Wheelset w/new rubber (Mavic Crossmax? Bonty's? Suggestions?)
    • Custom Matte Olive Paint w/factory graphics

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    i'd move the brakes to the first upgrade, probably the most noticable upgrade

OnTheTrailAgain
    Quote Originally Posted by distro
    i'd move the brakes to the first upgrade, probably the most noticable upgrade
    Right now, my priority is customizing the bike to "me" (personalizing it) and for the cost of the brakeset,
    I can install everything listed in my Stage I build (bars, stem, saddle, post, etc...I already have the crankset/pedals).
    I think it's more important that I get "comfortable" on the bike before swapping out the brakes.

For me, the Juicy 3's will be "enough" until I can afford to change them later on this year.

mtbr member
    An adjustable seatpost is high on my wishlist. I thought I would have to change the tires immediately, but I've been pleasantly surprised with the performance of the XDX's so far. I'll probably wait until they wear out and then try a set of Fat Alberts.

OnTheTrailAgain
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Traveler
    An adjustable seatpost is high on my wishlist. I thought I would have to change the tires immediately, but I've been pleasantly surprised with the performance of the XDX's so far. I'll probably wait until they wear out and then try a set of Fat Alberts.
    Same deal here with the XDX's.
    Turns out they get great reviews.
    I'll change mine when I "need" to change them.
    Only thing they need is to shed those tubes.

mtbr member
    So far on my Roscoe II..
    .Crank Bros. Joplin,
    Chris King Wheels,
    XT crankset,
    XT cassette,
    Hayes Stroker Trail Brakes,
    WTB Mutano Raptor tires,
    XT pedals,

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    2ndgen,
    Go ride the bike and tell us what you think. All the work you are doing on the bike is pretty simple and you can do it yourself when the parts come in. I would be kicking myself if i just bought a brand new bike and it is just sitting there in the shop.

OnTheTrailAgain
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikingman
    2ndgen,
    Go ride the bike and tell us what you think. All the work you are doing on the bike is pretty simple and you can do it yourself when the parts come in. I would be kicking myself if i just bought a brand new bike and it is just sitting there in the shop.
    Brother, you have no idea how much I'm chompin' @ the bit to get on that thing!

A few points:
    1) My LBS isn't so local. I had to go out of state (2 hours) to get it.
    2) It's rainy season up here and I could wait a couple of weeks until it dries out.
    3) I get busiest when it rains (I run my own business), so I don't even have time right now to ride the bikes I already have.

Right now I'm feeding my hunger taking local runs on my Trek (roadie).

When I pick it up, I want her to be "complete". So, while I'm waiting for my schedule to ease up and for the weather to clear up,
    I'm taking advantage of the time & having it worked on. I'm going to take a few days to spend riding her hitting a different trail
    everyday (4 in all). Kind of like an MTBing vacation. (Of course, complete with my impressions and pictures.)
    I've been busting my hump for the last two months. I'm due. Plus...I've waited for 1/2 a year, 2 more weeks won't kill me.
    Last edited by 2ndgen; 04-12-2009 at 08:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cooleymtnbiker1
    So far on my Roscoe II..
    .Crank Bros. Joplin,
    Chris King Wheels,
    XT crankset,
    XT cassette,
    Hayes Stroker Trail Brakes,
    WTB Mutano Raptor tires,
    XT pedals,

Cooley I sold my HiFi and am looking at buying a Roscoe II in the next few months (my LBS is having a killer sale on the RII). I may make some of the same upgrades. Can you post some pics with the upgrades? Thanks, TB

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

2010 Roscoe

Has anyone heard anything about the 2010 lineup for the Roscoe and what will be different about it? I have been considering pulling the trigger on the 2009 but am now wondering if the new lineup will be anything worth waiting for.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    The Roscoe is a fresh design for 2009 with all the hot features so I wouldn't expect much difference for 2010. Trekworld is going on now or this weekend so you should be able to see what 2010 has in store for the Roscoe in a week or less.

BTW, our club has a Roscoe III as a demo for the season and although it's a size or maybe even 2 too small for me(it's a 17.5 and I'm kinda in between a 19 & 21) it's a killer bike. Everyone that's ridden it except one person has loved it. The guy that wasn't so interested rides his full suspension bike with such a high spring rate it might as well be a hardtail carrying a bowling ball so I don't give a whole lot of weight to his review.
    CAMBr West
    Gives us a couple bucks and we'll give you some trails with sweet jumps and stuff.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Demo

Yeah, after posting my message I found the other threads on the same topic unfortunately. I ended up demoing the Roscoe 1 this past weekend and I really liked it. Super nice bike with all the bells and whistles. I primarily ride XC right now in and around Atlanta and I wonder if I will be able to truly use this bike to its full potential or if I am lusting after something that is more than what I actually need. The price on this at $2299 is higher than I really wanted to spend too.

I've been looking for a used one but so far have come up with nothing.

Tire Geek O_o
    Quote Originally Posted by adrjones
    Yeah, after posting my message I found the other threads on the same topic unfortunately. I ended up demoing the Roscoe 1 this past weekend and I really liked it. Super nice bike with all the bells and whistles. I primarily ride XC right now in and around Atlanta and I wonder if I will be able to truly use this bike to its full potential or if I am lusting after something that is more than what I actually need. The price on this at $2299 is higher than I really wanted to spend too.

I've been looking for a used one but so far have come up with nothing.
    If you primarly ride XC this bike (because of the price tag) might be a bit too much, this is a light AM machine. You might be better served with another Fisher bike if this is the brand you are looking for. Something with 120mm is more than enough for XC.