Monster FTW

2009 Gary Fisher Marlin Questions

I bought my Marlin new and have loved it so far. Over the years I have gone pretty easy on it, but in the last 6 - 8 months I have found the nearby trails and have been beating on it pretty hard.

Well, this past weekend I finally wadded it up pretty good on an out of town trip at Reveille Peak Ranch's flow track. Luckily I didn't do tooo much damage, but my bars are off center (easy to fix) but I'm pretty sure my RD is tweaked because I cannot get it shifting correctly anymore.

Is there a good way to tell if the RD is bent? I'm itching to go 3x10 (-3rd with bash) Shimano XT anyway.

Is there any reason why I can't go full XT on this bike and is there any unique things I should know about before I spend the money?

I would also like to add XT hydraulic brakes as mine is still running rim brakes. Should I just go ahead and ditch my wheels or run them until I bend them? Are there any issues mounting the calipers to the bike that I should know about?

Thanks!
    2008 Specialized FSR Expert 29er
    2012 Trek Custom 29er HT (used to be a Mamba)
    198X? Japanese Steel Frame Single Speed

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Where is Reveille Peak Ranch?

Monster FTW
    2008 Specialized FSR Expert 29er
    2012 Trek Custom 29er HT (used to be a Mamba)
    198X? Japanese Steel Frame Single Speed

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    An XT 10 speed drivetrain should mount without issues. Your derailleur hanger may be bent, this can be checked at a shop with a tool, or you can just buy a new one and replace it (they're cheap). For the brakes, if your wheels already have disc hubs I would keep using the wheels you have until they're beyond repair. If they are not disc hubs I would just buy a new bike and keep the Marlin as a loaner bike for friends. A full XT drivetrain, plus brakeset, plus wheelset is likely equal to or greater than the price of a nice bike.