mtbr member
    Jan 2007

2008 HiFi Plus parts on a 2010 Roscoe III frame

After breaking my HiFi+ chain stays for the third time in 14 months, my LBS got GF to replace the frame. I'm getting a 2010 Roscoe III frame and rear shock. Everything else will be coming from my HiFi+. Seems like a good deal. Is there anything I should be concerned about?

The only potential issue I see is that the new rear suspension will be 140mm, and my old Recon fork is 120mm. They said they could make it so it wouldn't change the overall geometry. Should I be concerned?

mtbr member
    The fork spec'd on the Roscoe is an adjustable, Fox Talus that can be run at either of three settings: 140mm, 120mm, 100mm. Your Recon matches the middle setting. So your result would be like running the Roscoe all the time in that same setting.

Should you be concerned? Honestly, I'm uncertain. I've never ridden the Roscoe. I guess I would be concerned that your bike shop glossed over the explanation. I guess too, that I would bothered by the lack of symmetry between the front and back.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The Roscoe uses a tapered headtube, so you will need a new headset to use use your fork.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I put up a brief summary of my experience on the xt frame replacement thread. They will send a headset w/crown race adapter. Make sure they include the ABP skewer with a suitable nut.Need a "bottom swing" front derailiuer as well. I couldn't get a bead on the proprietary talas. None to be had I was told. I had my first short "ride" Sunday. I like the bike. Spring fever & nearly 3 months without.....makes you "appreciative".

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I'm confident my LBS can put it back together to make it rideable. My question is more about how my HiFi Plus components will perform on the Roscoe frame.

Looking at the geom. charts, the Roscoe cockpit will be about an inch shorter, all else being equal. I'll have 120mm front shock and 140mm. rear shock. I'm not sure if that will be an issue, or if there are other performance issues I should be aware of.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Just broke the chainstays on my 08 HiFi Plus today (for the first time). Did they offer to replace the lower arm again or did they go straight to a frame replacement? Just curious what I'll be hearing once the claims are filed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by grivooga
    Just broke the chainstays on my 08 HiFi Plus today (for the first time). Did they offer to replace the lower arm again or did they go straight to a frame replacement? Just curious what I'll be hearing once the claims are filed.
    I broke my first chainstay after 6 months. The next set were a new design and an unmatched color. Those lasted 3 months. I e-mailed GF and they said if it continues to be a problem they'd look at putting me on something else. The next set of chainstays were black and lasted 6 months. I told my LBS about my e-mail correspondence w/ GF and they offered to replace the frame w/ a 2010 Roscoe III. I should have it soon.
    Last edited by tduro; 03-26-2010 at 04:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Hi-FI to Rosco swap

I too just broke my third Hi-Fi swing arm and my LBS just call to say that GF offered a new Rosco frame. This is great news but Im a little concerned about the difference in geometry .
    I dont need the travel as Im too old to be jumping off big stuff. I just ride XC hard . So I dont know how the 120 front travel and 140 rear travel will affect the handling . Has any one ridden one of the swap overs ? Was is similar to the original Hi-Fi? I do endo alot so I dont want to drop the front too much. And Im also interested in how do the frame weights compare. Thanks for any input.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar Daddy
    I too just broke my third Hi-Fi swing arm and my LBS just call to say that GF offered a new Rosco frame. This is great news but Im a little concerned about the difference in geometry .
    I dont need the travel as Im too old to be jumping off big stuff. I just ride XC hard . So I dont know how the 120 front travel and 140 rear travel will affect the handling . Has any one ridden one of the swap overs ? Was is similar to the original Hi-Fi? I do endo alot so I dont want to drop the front too much. And Im also interested in how do the frame weights compare. Thanks for any input.
    I've got about 50 hard miles on it in the last week. I find it less endo-likely than my HiFi+. My initial impressions were: slower on the uphill, faster on the downhill. Time trials on my local circuit show it to be essentially the same overall. I think the Roscoe frame weighs a couple pounds more, but I don't remember what my HiFi+ weighs. I've been meaning to weigh the Roscoe, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Overall, I think I got a good deal, although I'm having trouble tuning the new rear shock. I weigh 175#, have the shock pumped up to 220# (150# is recommended), and I still use the full travel (no real jumps or drops).

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Gary Fisher HiFi Pro parts ?

I recently broke the chain stay (drive side) on my Gary Fisher HiFi Pro (2008?), but I am not the original owner and do not have a receipt. (ie Trek told me to F**k off)
    I love the bike and would love to repair it so I can ride gravel trails with my young kids.
    Jack Hass

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Sorry to hear about the swing arm. Even though it isnt covered you could talk to Trek about a possible crash replacement . At least you would get some credit. These broken swing arms are a known issue with the Hi-Fi ( actually probably with most FS Fishers except the Possium ) so see if they will work with you a little . Unfortunately by now , they may be out of stock . Good Luck