mtbr member
    Apr 2010

2008 Gary Fisher Procaliber budget build

Jump to post 8 for final build and pics!!!

Picking up the frame/swingarm/rear shock today... gonna build up from there.
    Rear swingarm was warranty replacement, with, if I understood right, no use once replaced. Bushing are new, and shock is like new.
    I plan on shopping around, and trying to keep it under $1000 total.
    Previous owner had low-midrange parts on it, with about $400 retail cost and was at 26lbs.
    I hope to be able to get mid-higher range parts for it.
    Paid $300 for the starting point.
    Plan on running 1x9, or 1x10 if 10 speed prices have dropped enough to be worth the extra gear. Sram is first choice, as I'm vvery happy with the drivetrain on my current ride.

Crankset/BB... not sure. Need to research it. My Bontrager Racelites are pretty nice, but either the cranks, or the BB flex some...

Came with 80mm fork originally, but I might go with 100mm. Fox, most likely, as I'm not happy with the Dart 3 on my currrent bike. 80mm might even be enough, as at 150lbs, I barely ever get close to maxing the 100mm travel on my current fork.

Wheels... not sure yet... I hear Jenson runs some pretty smoking deals once in a while. Just need something durable. I don't even know what is on my old Trek, but I have yet to bend them.

Tires... Either use from my current bike (although I just put a stick thru one last night) or buy some new ones... going to try tubeless on this bike also.

Brakes... not sure. Avid Juicy 5 or 7? First experience with disk brakes, so need to do some research there too.

Inexpensive Carbon Bars and seatpost.

Will probably transfer seat and crankbrother eggbeaters from my current bike.

Anyway... I'll search and check out some other builds on here.
    I ride singletrack, but some of the trails have some pretty fast rugged downhills that are really hard on my hardtail, and therefore, my body. LOL

i'm pretty easy on a bike, only 150lbs, and have some finesse, so having the strongest parts isn't that important.

I'll update this as I get my hands on the frame, and start making a more solid plan.
    Any and all suggestions are welcome!
    Last edited by indianadave; 04-05-2012 at 08:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Well, This build is getting the fast forward,,, I cracked the frame on my old Trek.
    Bontrager Race cranks, BB and SRAM X-9 drivetrain is getting swapped over, along with stem, bars, seatpost and seat for now.
    All I need then are brakes, wheels and a fork to get it rolling...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Looks like Shimano M596 hyd. disk brakes are the best bang for my buck... I see great reviews all over for them, and they're even pretty light. Suprised most brakes you have to buy the rotors seperate, even though they sell the system as a "kit"
    Are rotors pretty interchangeable?
    $160 or so + cost of rotors leaves me plenty of room for decent wheels and fork.
    Was thinking a Manitou fork to match up with the rear shock, but they don't seem to have much support around here.
    Any suggestions for a 80-100mm fork for around $300-$400?
    Last thing is wheels. I should have $150-$200 to budget for those.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Getting an XFusion Enix fork, M596 brakes, and Mavic wheels... Now to pick up parts, and order the brakes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Picked up the wheels last night, and stripped the old hardtail to the frame.
    Stacked the parts I'm re-using on the shelf, and dumped the rest into my spare parts bin.
    Ended up ordering Shimano SLX brakes instread of the Deores.
    also, the seller changed his mind on the fork, so I'm back to shopping for a fork.

Maybe I should post some pics to get more replies? Doesn't anyone have any comments?
    This forum seems awefully quite.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    LOL Dave, I bet there are some good deals on a fork on HMBA...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Been watching the classifieds there for sure.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Here's what I ended up with.
    Marzocchi Marathon Fork $245
    Manitous SX? Rear shock that came with frame.
    Shimano SLX disk brakes $250 w/ rotors
    Mavic wheels (forget the model at this moment) $60 used
    SRAM X-9 1x9 drivetrain with Bontrager Racelite crankset and BB from my old bike
    Misc. parts I already had.

Need a caliper bracket and new shifter cable and housings, and I'll be ready to roll.

All total I'm still under $1000 for what I hope will be one kick-ass bike.

Once I find what is comfortable by swapping bars, and stems, etc. I have laying around, I'm going to buy all black components to go with the black wheels and fork. Never cared about looks on my old bike, but on this one... I'm going for some show along with the go.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2008 Gary Fisher Procaliber budget build-image04052012212953.jpg  

2008 Gary Fisher Procaliber budget build-image04052012213008.jpg  

2008 Gary Fisher Procaliber budget build-image04052012213029.jpg  

2008 Gary Fisher Procaliber budget build-image04052012213217.jpg  

Last edited by indianadave; 04-05-2012 at 08:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

and pics on the trail

Got it out on the trail last night.
    Need to make a couple adjustments, and definately need to add a chain guide, but otherwise I'm pretty happy with it.
    My buddy gave me a jumpstop to try out.

Thanks for following along...
    Attached Images Attached Images    

mtbr member
    Nice job Dave!

You got a lot of bang for your buck there. Enjoy your new ride.