JYD
    mtbr member

2007 Hifi Pro Creaking

I was hoping someone might have some insight. I had my 2007 GF Hifi Pro for 3 years now and for about 2.5 of those years I've had this creaking. I've taken it to several LBS' and they can't figure out the cause. The creaking is very rhythmic and occures everytime I put any pressure on the pedals, Click, Click - Click, Click and on and on with every rotation. Its driving me insane. I have changed the BB with no improvement, don't think its the pedals since I've replace and/or serviced them on and off the last 3 years. Any ideas? Thanks for your help.

I like Cake.
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JYD
    I was hoping someone might have some insight. I had my 2007 GF Hifi Pro for 3 years now and for about 2.5 of those years I've had this creaking. I've taken it to several LBS' and they can't figure out the cause. The creaking is very rhythmic and occures everytime I put any pressure on the pedals, Click, Click - Click, Click and on and on with every rotation. Its driving me insane. I have changed the BB with no improvement, don't think its the pedals since I've replace and/or serviced them on and off the last 3 years. Any ideas? Thanks for your help.
    Try putting some grease on the seat post.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JYD
    Pull the pedals and grease the threads.

JYD
    mtbr member
    Thanks guys I will give these a shot.

mtbr member
    Sounds like the pedal threads.
    JRA Cycles
    My Trek HiFi
    NEMBA Racing
    SNEMBA
    I love learning new things in my pajamas.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Clean and grease the seat clamp and rails as well.

Make sure your shoe laces aren't hitting the crank arms.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

had the same issue

I had the same issue with the same bike. It almost made me sell the bike after half a season. After completely pulling everything off and lubing it, I finally traced mine to the air can on the rear shock. Take the shock off the bike, let the air out, open the can, put some light grease or oil on the air can threads, tighten, put on bike, torque bolts to recommended torque, inflate shock, go ride.

Creaking started again a year later, I re-lubed the air can threads and it went away.

mtbr member
    If you stand up and it doesn't creak, than it is the seatpost or the saddle/saddle rails.

JYD
    mtbr member
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions. The creaking happens regardless if I'm seated or not. I actually suspected the rear shock and have put a but of grease on the joints and that did seem to help alittle, however, I have not gone as far as take it apart. But a bit of good news, I decided to just clean the crap out of bike last week, the creaking went away. Amazing that it could be such a simple thing, and frustrating since I keep the bike fairly clean anyways.