Thread: 2004 Cake 2 GS

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

2004 Cake 2 GS

Hi

I'm considering getting a lightly used (seller less than 100miles on it) 2004 Cake 2 GS for the wife and was wondering what people thought of it and what would be a good price. They are asking $1000 but seems a bit steep? Also seems to be some discussion of chainsuck / pivot problems?

Thanks in advance!

WNC Native
    I have a 04 Cake 3. Chainsuck yes, but it is a very easy fix. First make sure you keep the chain clean (very important) and also place a couple of thick cable ties on the chainstay at the closest point to the chainrings. That will eliminate the problem. As far as price, that is very low miles and it depends on components. That bike is also missing out of fisher's archives for some reason. What fork, drivetrain, wheelset, and brakes does it have?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks for the feedback. Any problems with pedal bob in the rear?

Did you also swap out the chain? Specs are below - will probably want to put discs on instead of the v-brakes.

Frame: Platinum Series ZR9000 double-butted aluminum, Genesis Geometry, 6061 T6 aluminum swing arm, Carbon fiber seat stays, Sealed cartridge bearings
    Wheels: Bontrager Select ATB wheel system w/OSB rear, IRC Serac XC folding tires
    Componentry: Shimano Deore XT rear derailleur, Deore LX shifters and front derailleur, Bontrager Race 44/32/22 w/ISIS crank, Avid SD-5 direct pull brakes, Shimano PD-M520 clip less pedals
    Suspension: Front- Manitou Black Super Air, 100mm travel, Rear- Manitou Swinger 3-Way

WNC Native
    Thanks for the feedback. Any problems with pedal bob in the rear?
    That's one thing I love about mine. Once you get the shock dialed in to the riders weight, very little bob issues. When climbing twist the rebound adjust knob to the lowest setting and it's like climbing on a hardtail.

Did you also swap out the chain? Specs are below - will probably want to put discs on instead of the v-brakes.
    No, I'm still running the stock chain. I also switched to set of Avid BB7 disc brakes on mine.

That doesn't sound too bad on the price. I would probably try to get them down to about $800 or so myself, but its totally up to you. It's all in what you two want. I will say this about mine, I have no plans to depart with it any time soon.

BTW: I have about 700-800 miles on the bike so far without any issues.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by stevelim
    Hi

I'm considering getting a lightly used (seller less than 100miles on it) 2004 Cake 2 GS for the wife and was wondering what people thought of it and what would be a good price. They are asking $1000 but seems a bit steep? Also seems to be some discussion of chainsuck / pivot problems?
    FWIW, this year I bought a brand new closeout 2006 (with warranty) Cake 2 DLX for $1140.
    "Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances of survival for life on earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet." -Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks guys, am going to check it out today and will offer closer to $800.

WNC Native
    Cool, let us know if ya pick it up!

Double-metric mtb man
    Brian, excellent choice...I have the same bike

Steve, I'd haggle a bit...save a bit of money if you can. The Cake is a good bike (with a couple tweaks on the older ones) and well capable of a lot of miles. I did a 125 mile epic on mine just a couple weeks ago.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mike
    Brian, excellent choice...I have the same bike

Steve, I'd haggle a bit...save a bit of money if you can. The Cake is a good bike (with a couple tweaks on the older ones) and well capable of a lot of miles. I did a 125 mile epic on mine just a couple weeks ago.

That is one sweet bike, but you are a different type of person to do a 125 mile ride on it

How many hours was that?
    "Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances of survival for life on earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet." -Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks guys for all the advice. I ended up picking it up on the weekend for $900 - could have haggled more but it was going to a good cause (funding some health in developing country work). Wife thought the ride was great - 'bouncy' in her words compared to her old HT!

Now just have to swap her mech disc brakes and wheels from her HT to the new one.

I'm also intrigued by how many hours that was - also thinking your member name is pretty appropriate

Double-metric mtb man
    Hehehe...it ended up being 9 hrs and 13 minutes of riding time. The only thing I did to make the bike ready for the long road trip (it was a road ride), was to throw a set of slicks on it. All things considered, it did quite well.

My Cake has seen a lot of miles under its wheels already...mostly singletrack and multi-use trails due to where I live. It has held up well to my clyde class butt putting it trough its paces and still has long legs for roadie rides like the one I did recently.

If the GS version is anything near the same quality as the regular, your wife will enjoy the bike for years to come. Just be careful....once she gets used to full suspension, she'll not want to go back to a hard tail

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I love mine.....but about 2 weeks ago I had my first chainsuck experience (and hopefully my last). Took it right to the shop and they replaced the chain which was damaged. Also scuffed the frame but nothing that a little paint can't fix.

Hopefully that is one and done, since the 2006 models weren't really (as far as I can tell) known for the chainsuck issue.

Still love it though!

Double-metric mtb man
    Quote Originally Posted by brianthebiker
    I love mine.....but about 2 weeks ago I had my first chainsuck experience (and hopefully my last). Took it right to the shop and they replaced the chain which was damaged. Also scuffed the frame but nothing that a little paint can't fix.

Hopefully that is one and done, since the 2006 models weren't really (as far as I can tell) known for the chainsuck issue.

Still love it though!
    I've only managed one chainsuck in 4250 km on the bike, and it was my fault at that: started the ride with a chain that was already in need of a cleaning, was riding in the nice sitcky mud on a multi-use trail, climbing hard up a hill and tried to shift. I don't know a of any bikes that wouldn't have chainsucked under such harsh conditions.

Here's hoping that's the end of your problems

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I have an 04 Cake 2 that has some custom build on it (hone crank) that I am retiring. I replaced it with a Turner RFX.

I was considering a donation to the girlfriend. Great to see the real GF on a GF.

However, given that me and this Cake have a crash history that is out of this world, I've decided that my precious GF (the GirlFriend not the Gary Fisher) should have something better.

My love: Been riding Fishers since 1986. The Paragon fitted with a real Rock Shock was great. The Big Sur was great. The Cake was NOT so great. I learned that the spring in the Super Black was too light for me (learned the hard way, spent $35K for a titanium wrist plate). I learned that the 71.5 degree head tube angle is great for spandex roadies but useless for any kind of descent.

The bike climbed OK for a 33 pound XC bike. Some pedal bob.

Lots of chain suck leading to crashes. One fix was a VERY long deraillure cage. Put a wide block under the chainstay. Keep the chain well lubed and buy extra credits at the car wash.

Well, being a loyal GF fan for so many years despite the crashes and injuries, I went looking recently at the new GF's and what did I find?

A ton of new models with 71.5 head tube angles.

So I have a Turner between the legs and me and the GF are officially divorced (and the girlfriend is getting a Giant Trance X or a 5 Spot).

Sorry, Gary. I have one of your signed water bottles and it will always be displayed in my showcase next to the printed x-ray of the titanium plate in my wrist. But you are stuck in the XC mud with your head angles and super long TT's. Great for fire roads.

Dunno if it was Gary or Trek. Trek seems to have problems these days. Lawsuits with Greg LeMond when LeMond spoke out against doping. Many of Lance's team being kicked out for doping. No Madones in the 07 TdF. Trek Team not invited this year.

I'm not trying to sully things. I liked Fisher when they were Fisher. I like Fisher for alley ways and fire roads. I like Fisher for fast riding in aerodynamic riding positions on flat terrain. I like that ALL of my Fisher's outperformed my 1985 Univega.

Adios Muchachos, DT is the new "wow."

Anyone want my Cake before I compact it in the aluminum recycle?

Double-metric mtb man
    Brian,

Here's how mine looks in its current incarnation:

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mike
    Brian,

Here's how mine looks in its current incarnation:

Very nice! Love the blue stem and the blue seatpost collar!