Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2003 Gary Fisher Sugar 4+

45K views 67 replies 15 participants last post by  Stabone33 
#1 · (Edited)

I hooked a Fish for $300.

I told the seller (nice guy) I only needed the bike and
he ended up throwing everything else in the deal anyway.
So, I got my summer rig (until I can eventually afford a custom build).
I think it's a pretty good deal. I'm liking the Fox Float Shock and
I can live with the LX group. I have a 2009 Gary Figher Opie
with a cracked seat tube that I can cannibalize for parts if needed
(but from the looks of it, this bike is in better condition than my'09).
Bar ends, pedals, seat bag, water bottle, pump...all coming right off.
Going on: My Shimano M-737 SPD's.

Immediate upgrades:
ODI Rogue grips, Kenda Nevegals, tubes, WTB Saddle, Easton EA70 Bar,
Kool Stop brakes pads and possibly a Thompson stem & dropper seat post
(if it can be transferred to my next bike).

[Going to drop it off at my LBS so they can service the fork/shock and give it a once over.]

2003 Gary Fisher Sugar 4+ (19")
  • Crank Brothers Egg Beater pedals
  • Blackburn mtn. air pump,
  • water bottle cage
  • bar ends
  • seat bag
  • tire irons

Highlights:
  • Frame Platinum Series ZR9000 double-butted aluminum
  • Fork Manitou Black Comp 100mm
  • Rear Shock Fox Float
  • Deore LX Group
  • G1 Geometry

See less See more
#18 ·
They have a nasty habit of cracking on the rear triangle. Would normally be a warranty item, but since it is used......ride it til it breaks.

Also keep an eye on the mount for the rear shock on the front triangle, they have cracking issues around the weld.

#4 · (Edited)
Thanks! :thumbsup:

Yeah. From what I've come to understand, a switch of the crankset from Bontrager took care of that. I have a Shimano crankset on mine.

I just saw the bike yesterday for the first time (I had my GF buy it for me sight unseen on my behalf besides pictures). It turns out that the bike is in excellent condition (almost new). The seller wasn't kidding when he said it was hardly used...again, a great guy).

The bike is literally shining. I'm going to detail it a bit and then post pics later today.

I really scored on this one. As stated, it's going to my LBS (who are expert MTB builders) and have them check it out completely, tune up the fork, check the bushings (of course).

I "may" swap in my Shimano EF50 shifters (bottom of the barrel bits) because I really loved how quickly they responded and despite my beating then to a pulp, they just "worked" (rain or shine, mud or snow, blazing heat or bitter cold). I'll have to believe that the '06 Shimano C050/Acera Derailleurs won't be as good as the LX stuff, so I'll leave that on the bike. "If" I do decide to upgrade anything, I'll just jump to XT770 (anything that I can transfer to my next bike) and if I happen to come across a good deal on a used Fox fork, it'll be a done deal.

I'm hoping some Sugar owners will chime in and post pics of their bike as well as what upgrades they've done that really improved performance. I'm still in awe at how clean this bike is.

:D

#6 ·
Reminds me of when I sold my XTR (M950 generation) equipped Schwinn Homegrown Factory XT HT for $300 after throughly beating it up for 15k miles, moving to NY from FL and finding that its brakes were totally inadequate for the speeds and terrain I encountered on the mountains there. Rather than upgrade (no disc brake mounts), I got a new bike.

#11 ·
Awesome bike 2ndgen. I have a special spot in my hart for 03Sugar 4's. Might be cause I have had mine for 8 years and still looks great! Still loving it. But had to do some upgrades along the way. I'm about $300 away from finishing it. Need a new seat post, bars, headset and seat. But everything else is new.

Rock Shox Tora Solo Air
Mavic Crossride disc & Rim wheelset
Shimano SLX crankset
Shimano XT shifters
Hutchinson Cobra Tires tubeless
SRAM chain
SRAM cassette
Shimano XT Front Derailleur
Shimano XT rear derailleur
Avid BB7 front brake
Shimano XT rear V-brake

#12 ·
Awesome bike 2ndgen. I have a special spot in my hart for 03Sugar 4's. Might be cause I have had mine for 8 years and still looks great! Still loving it. But had to do some upgrades along the way. I'm about $300 away from finishing it. Need a new seat post, bars, headset and seat. But everything else is new.

Rock Shox Tora Solo Air
Mavic Crossride disc & Rim wheelset
Shimano SLX crankset
Shimano XT shifters
Hutchinson Cobra Tires tubeless
SRAM chain
SRAM cassette
Shimano XT Front Derailleur
Shimano XT rear derailleur
Avid BB7 front brake
Shimano XT rear V-brake
Nice! :thumbsup:

And thanks! :D
How is she shifting with the SLX/XT bits?
I'm so tempted to upgrade the groupset at the very least.

My Shug has a few chips on the bottom tube, but that looks like its
from bring transported because the rest of the bike is in great shape.
Once I detail it and get a sunny day, I'll post some fresh pics.

#16 ·
Fighting the Upgraditis.

Definitely going with a WTB saddle and a Salsa post clamp and a set of XTR Trail Pedals
(even though my PDM737 SPD's are working perfectly fine). The pedals alone would
drop my bike's weight by more than 1/2 lb (240g). All these are in line with my "keepable"
upgrade option.

My OEM Bontrager Superstock wheels are true and roll well and they are in great shape aesthetically.
There is absolutely NO reason for me to swap out the wheels.
BUT! Came across a great deal on a set of Mavic Crosstrails.
The swap would drop 369g's from the 30.1lb weight of the Sugar.
Not an insignificant amount. If I went with the wheels and pedals,
I'd drop a full 1.34lbs taking the Sug down to about 28.76lbs.

Granted, I got the bike's weight on a bathroom scale, so it may very well
be less than 30lbs already, but I'm not getting weenie on this bike.
(Have a Park Tool table top scale and hanging scale on the way)
It's just great to find a rig for $300. that is already at 30lbs.
I must admit, getting her to 27ish pounds would be nice though.

After that, the only other upgrades left would be the groupset, fork and brakes.
And "if" I went with the brakes, that would mean another wheel swap.

It's so hard "not" upgrading it. I want to see how far I can take her.
She's billed as an XC bike, but I think the Sugar's overbuilt for that.
It makes a really nice trail bike. I wouldn't go AM with it,
but it looks sturdy enough to take a light beating.

#20 ·
I should just do the wheels, saddle, clamp & pedals and call it a day. ($450./total more)
Then, just keep it as a back up bike even "after" the Turner is built.

Discs would cost me a total of $$500. more (disc wheels/brakes fr & r) for entry-level stuff,
it'd easily add a pound back to the bike and I doubt it would be worth it for how I ride.
The V's w/Kool Stops are good enough.

But damn...a decent used Fox 32 would look (and function) great on it.
Then it turns into a $2K 8 year old bike that can crack. Grrr.

See? It's like a disease.

#25 · (Edited)
I've made it through the temptation.
I decided to "not" go with the brake upgrade.

Just going with a WTB Rocket V Pro Saddle, (so far) a Salsa
Seat Post Clamp & a set of XTR985 Trail Pedals and that's it.

Going to start stackin' my chips for my next "Build".
I think this bike is done. That's as far as I'm going to take it.
Now, I'm just going to ride hard and put it up wet.
Thanks for the input fellas.

#34 · (Edited)
It looks like the seat clamps are within 2 grams of each other (Salsa VS OEM Gary Fisher clamp).

The GF clamp is basically new believe it or not.
No major weight savings there, so there'll be no reason to change it.
I'm sending the Salsa clamp back. It's not necessary and there is no great benefit.

I guess that just leaves pedals (Shimano XTR 985 Trail) to upgrade.
The PD-M737's are working just fine, but there's a 146g saving there.
(985 @ 370g VS 737 @ 516g)

While (believe it or not) the OEM Bontrager Race Basic Saddle was comfortable enough
for me (it's been on 3 bikes so far), the WTB is better and looks much better on the bike.
Hoping to get her out in the next few days for some nice pics before I dirty her up.

#29 ·
Hey, sorry to join this thread so late. The adapter for your Sugar to convert to disc is part # 87855 from your Trek or Fisher dealer. I also have an'03 Sugar 4+ and I love it still. Everything has been upgraded over the years, and I hope to keep riding it for many more years.

#35 ·
I'm watching this thread as I have a Sugar+ 4. I bought it new in 2004. Recently I've started working on the Sugar. I've put on disk wheels and installed the rear disk adapter that Trek used to sell (it's available on Ebay for $35). Next stop Avid BB7 disk brakes front and rear.

Over the past 8 years I've also upgraded to XT shifters and XTR rear D. The front is still LX.

After the disk brakes I'm probably done upgrading this bike. The fork and shock are still working OK, but surely are in need of upgrading.

I don't have many miles on this bike - probably less than 200 miles, I'm a roadie, but have started riding MTB near my home about 2 times a week. I'm lovin' it and enjoying the bike. I don't know if I'd enjoy a new bike that much more.

#36 ·
Coincidentally, all day today I've been struggling with going that far into upgrading the Sugar:
-Mavic Disc Wheels -XT-M770 Group -130mm Fox Fork -Elixir 3 Disc Brakes
+ adapter for the rear -Matte Black Paint w/Gold Outline Factory Decals

Got pics of yours? :)

Then I remember why I got it. I have a Turner 5.Spot in my future for the Spring.
It was meant to be a transition for me until I could build a custom MTB.
Still, it's such a nice riding rig that I feel like it deserves to be upgraded.

I'm almost finished building my -----> CAAD9.
Just need a 58mm carbon wheelset and a little more Weight Weenieing
to get her down to 15lbs (right now, she's back up to 16.49lbs w/pedals).

#37 ·
I hear you. Upgrading an old bike is fun, but there is a point where you are just throwing away money. I did that with my first road bike. I bought a great 2005 Trek bike on CL for $400. A real bargain. Then I upgraded everything but the frame. I learned a TON about working on bikes and the bike was really great. But then I bought a new Felt Z4 carbon/ultegra bike and I've only riden the Trek once since then.

I probably put an additional $1,000 into the old Trek. But it's not worth any more than the $400 or so I paid for it. But its a great back up bike.

The Sugar+ 4 I bought new. We lived in Jackson Hole, Wyoming and it was a great place to ride. In 2005 I started upgrading it with a plan to make it a Sugar+ 2 with my upgrades -- that's when I added the XT/XTR stuff and the disk wheels. Then we moved to Texas and I lost interest in the summer heat here.

After putting in 2500 miles on the road this past 6 months I decided to clean up the Sugar and take if for a ride in a local park. It was super fun, so I've gone 3 more times and enjoyed it each time.

That's what's got me upgrading again and putting disk brakes on her. However, I plan to stop there. If I keep riding and enjoying THEN I'll get a new bike. I've got my eye on a Niner FS 29er.

#40 ·
I hear you. Upgrading an old bike is fun, but there is a point where you are just throwing away money. I did that with my first road bike. I bought a great 2005 Trek bike on CL for $400. A real bargain. Then I upgraded everything but the frame. I learned a TON about working on bikes and the bike was really great. But then I bought a new Felt Z4 carbon/ultegra bike and I've only riden the Trek once since then.

I probably put an additional $1,000 into the old Trek. But it's not worth any more than the $400 or so I paid for it. But its a great back up bike.

The Sugar+ 4 I bought new. We lived in Jackson Hole, Wyoming and it was a great place to ride. In 2005 I started upgrading it with a plan to make it a Sugar+ 2 with my upgrades -- that's when I added the XT/XTR stuff and the disk wheels. Then we moved to Texas and I lost interest in the summer heat here.

After putting in 2500 miles on the road this past 6 months I decided to clean up the Sugar and take if for a ride in a local park. It was super fun, so I've gone 3 more times and enjoyed it each time.

That's what's got me upgrading again and putting disk brakes on her. However, I plan to stop there. If I keep riding and enjoying THEN I'll get a new bike. I've got my eye on a Niner FS 29er.
It's hard to "not" want to drop a few coins into it.

I was having issues with shifting, but after I mounted it on the stand and tuned it up,
there were no more issues. I keep reminding myself that it's 8 years old.
Besides, it literally doesn't need anything whatsoever. As is, she's fine.
I'd have no regrets if I bought her new and went all out upgrading her.

I want my next MTB to be just like that...a "Keeper".

#42 · (Edited)
Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Spoke

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle fork Mode of transport

So I'm glad to find a Sugar thread... love my son's Sugar 3... he's outgrowing the small so his brother 9yo will get it and I found a Sugar 1 med frame for my 11yo. Prob is I only have crank and Front derailer, LX.

Need advice on parts to put on it without breaking the bank. Once I figure out how to insert pic.... I will. OK

Sugar 3 is a 2003 w/ all XT/XTR
Sugar 1 is a 2002 w/ LX....

#43 ·
So I'm glad to find a Sugar thread... love my son's Sugar 3... he's outgrowing the small so his brother 9yo will get it and I found a Sugar 1 med frame for my 11yo. Prob is I only have crank and Front derailer, LX.

Need advice on parts to put on it without breaking the bank. Once I figure out how to insert pic.... I will. OK

Sugar 3 is a 2003 w/ all XT/XTR
Sugar 1 is a 2002 w/ LX....
Nice! :thumbsup:

Welcome aboard 3BD!

#48 ·
I guess I don't know what's in a "Groupset". Jensonusa & pricepoint are best resources ?
Thx for input.

My needs:
Wheels w/ 9 or 10 "gearset"? $100-200
Breaks: Levers/Disk/Break $100 ?
Shifter's with levers $50-100 ?
Rear Derailer $50-90
Cables and cover etc...$50

#50 ·
I installed Avid BB7s on my Sugar + 4 yesterday. They seem to work fine and using the adapter for the rear frame made it super easy. The brakes were on sale at Performance this weekend and the frame adapter had arrived earlier. It was pretty easy and only took about 1.5 hours all together.

BUT... I was guessing that the bike was a 2004 model, but I started looking at Treks Vintage bike website and found it's a 2002. I bought it new, but completely forgot when I got it. So, it's a 10 year old bike this year. Certainly, I'll keep riding it, but I doubt I'll put more money into it. At 10 years it's not really worth it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.