Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 68
  1. #1
    OnTheTrailAgain
    Reputation: 2ndgen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,165

    2003 Gary Fisher Sugar 4+



    I hooked a Fish for $300.

    I told the seller (nice guy) I only needed the bike and
    he ended up throwing everything else in the deal anyway.
    So, I got my summer rig (until I can eventually afford a custom build).
    I think it's a pretty good deal. I'm liking the Fox Float Shock and
    I can live with the LX group. I have a 2009 Gary Figher Opie
    with a cracked seat tube that I can cannibalize for parts if needed
    (but from the looks of it, this bike is in better condition than my'09).
    Bar ends, pedals, seat bag, water bottle, pump...all coming right off.
    Going on: My Shimano M-737 SPD's.

    Immediate upgrades:
    ODI Rogue grips, Kenda Nevegals, tubes, WTB Saddle, Easton EA70 Bar,
    Kool Stop brakes pads and possibly a Thompson stem & dropper seat post
    (if it can be transferred to my next bike).

    [Going to drop it off at my LBS so they can service the fork/shock and give it a once over.]

    2003 Gary Fisher Sugar 4+ (19")
    • Crank Brothers Egg Beater pedals
    • Blackburn mtn. air pump,
    • water bottle cage
    • bar ends
    • seat bag
    • tire irons


    Highlights:
    • Frame Platinum Series ZR9000 double-butted aluminum
    • Fork Manitou Black Comp 100mm
    • Rear Shock Fox Float
    • Deore LX Group
    • G1 Geometry






    Last edited by 2ndgen; 07-13-2011 at 07:21 PM.

  2. #2
    OnTheTrailAgain
    Reputation: 2ndgen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,165
    So, what should I keep my eye out for?
    What are the weak points?

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    529
    Chain suck and worn suspension bushings. Good bike, good price, have fun!

  4. #4
    OnTheTrailAgain
    Reputation: 2ndgen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,165
    Quote Originally Posted by ssalmons View Post
    Chain suck and worn suspension bushings. Good bike, good price, have fun!
    Thanks!

    Yeah. From what I've come to understand, a switch of the crankset from Bontrager took care of that. I have a Shimano crankset on mine.

    I just saw the bike yesterday for the first time (I had my GF buy it for me sight unseen on my behalf besides pictures). It turns out that the bike is in excellent condition (almost new). The seller wasn't kidding when he said it was hardly used...again, a great guy).

    The bike is literally shining. I'm going to detail it a bit and then post pics later today.

    I really scored on this one. As stated, it's going to my LBS (who are expert MTB builders) and have them check it out completely, tune up the fork, check the bushings (of course).

    I "may" swap in my Shimano EF50 shifters (bottom of the barrel bits) because I really loved how quickly they responded and despite my beating then to a pulp, they just "worked" (rain or shine, mud or snow, blazing heat or bitter cold). I'll have to believe that the '06 Shimano C050/Acera Derailleurs won't be as good as the LX stuff, so I'll leave that on the bike. "If" I do decide to upgrade anything, I'll just jump to XT770 (anything that I can transfer to my next bike) and if I happen to come across a good deal on a used Fox fork, it'll be a done deal.

    I'm hoping some Sugar owners will chime in and post pics of their bike as well as what upgrades they've done that really improved performance. I'm still in awe at how clean this bike is.

    Last edited by 2ndgen; 07-16-2011 at 08:09 AM.

  5. #5
    OnTheTrailAgain
    Reputation: 2ndgen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,165
    For any Sugar owners interested (or anybody for that matter), upgrades:
    • ODI Rogue Locking Grips
    • Easton EA70 Monkey Bar
    • Thomson Elite 4X Stem
    • Thomson Elite Seat Post
    • WTB Rocket V Pro Saddle
    • Kool Stop Dual Compound Pads
    • Shimano PD-M737 SPD Pedals
    • Kenda Nevegal DTC 2.35 Tires
    • Fresh Tubes


  6. #6
    Trail Ninja
    Reputation: Varaxis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    4,650
    Reminds me of when I sold my XTR (M950 generation) equipped Schwinn Homegrown Factory XT HT for $300 after throughly beating it up for 15k miles, moving to NY from FL and finding that its brakes were totally inadequate for the speeds and terrain I encountered on the mountains there. Rather than upgrade (no disc brake mounts), I got a new bike.

  7. #7
    OnTheTrailAgain
    Reputation: 2ndgen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,165
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    Reminds me of when I sold my XTR (M950 generation) equipped Schwinn Homegrown Factory XT HT for $300 after throughly beating it up for 15k miles, moving to NY from FL and finding that its brakes were totally inadequate for the speeds and terrain I encountered on the mountains there. Rather than upgrade (no disc brake mounts), I got a new bike.
    I upgraded with transferable parts, but it is tempting to upgrade to discs "if" I end up swapping in a 120mm-130mm Fox Fork & Wheelset. The most I'd do is a fork upgrade. I'm going to quite there and keep in mind that the purpose of this bike is to put smiles on my face until I can afford to get a custom built rig.


  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    259
    nice!!! sweet deal

  9. #9
    OnTheTrailAgain
    Reputation: 2ndgen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,165
    Quote Originally Posted by nailtrail View Post
    nice!!! sweet deal
    Thanks.

    It should be out of the shop in a couple of days and then after that,
    I hit West Virginia for an Epic ride on her to break her in.

  10. #10
    OnTheTrailAgain
    Reputation: 2ndgen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,165













  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: XRaptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    104
    Awesome bike 2ndgen. I have a special spot in my hart for 03Sugar 4's. Might be cause I have had mine for 8 years and still looks great! Still loving it. But had to do some upgrades along the way. I'm about $300 away from finishing it. Need a new seat post, bars, headset and seat. But everything else is new.


    Rock Shox Tora Solo Air
    Mavic Crossride disc & Rim wheelset
    Shimano SLX crankset
    Shimano XT shifters
    Hutchinson Cobra Tires tubeless
    SRAM chain
    SRAM cassette
    Shimano XT Front Derailleur
    Shimano XT rear derailleur
    Avid BB7 front brake
    Shimano XT rear V-brake

  12. #12
    OnTheTrailAgain
    Reputation: 2ndgen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,165
    Quote Originally Posted by XRaptor View Post
    Awesome bike 2ndgen. I have a special spot in my hart for 03Sugar 4's. Might be cause I have had mine for 8 years and still looks great! Still loving it. But had to do some upgrades along the way. I'm about $300 away from finishing it. Need a new seat post, bars, headset and seat. But everything else is new.

    Rock Shox Tora Solo Air
    Mavic Crossride disc & Rim wheelset
    Shimano SLX crankset
    Shimano XT shifters
    Hutchinson Cobra Tires tubeless
    SRAM chain
    SRAM cassette
    Shimano XT Front Derailleur
    Shimano XT rear derailleur
    Avid BB7 front brake
    Shimano XT rear V-brake
    Nice!

    And thanks!
    How is she shifting with the SLX/XT bits?
    I'm so tempted to upgrade the groupset at the very least.

    My Shug has a few chips on the bottom tube, but that looks like its
    from bring transported because the rest of the bike is in great shape.
    Once I detail it and get a sunny day, I'll post some fresh pics.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: XRaptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndgen View Post
    Nice!

    And thanks!
    How is she shifting with the SLX/XT bits?
    I'm so tempted to upgrade the groupset at the very least.

    My Shug has a few chips on the bottom tube, but that looks like its
    from bring transported because the rest of the bike is in great shape.
    Once I detail it and get a sunny day, I'll post some fresh pics.
    Oh it makes a WORLD of difference! Its like night and day! After that upgrade it felt like a new bike. Smooth fast shifting on demand. Your talking about 8 year old components and upgrading it to today's standers. It really makes the bike fly.

  14. #14
    OnTheTrailAgain
    Reputation: 2ndgen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,165
    Quote Originally Posted by XRaptor View Post
    Oh it makes a WORLD of difference! Its like night and day! After that upgrade it felt like a new bike. Smooth fast shifting on demand. Your talking about 8 year old components and upgrading it to today's standers. It really makes the bike fly.
    Thanks. Just what I "didn't" want to hear!

    I actually have a road bike that I took from entry-level Sora/Tiagra all the way up to the creme of the crop Dura Ace.
    My LX Deore bits aren't shifting as nice as I'm use to. I just lubed it again and am going to see how it runs.
    I've tuned it up to where she shifts gears well enough, but I'm a stickler for smooth shifting.
    But you know what'll come next if I go with the groupset right? Fork then brakes then paint.

    I already have $800. into this Shug with another $300. coming in.
    Again, all stuff I can transfer over to another bike.
    I'm looking at a Turner 5 Spot for my über-bike.
    But then again, I might just keep this one too.
    Can't have too many bikes you know.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: XRaptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndgen View Post
    Thanks. Just what I "didn't" want to hear!

    I actually have a road bike that I took from entry-level Sora/Tiagra all the way up to the creme of the crop Dura Ace.
    My LX Deore bits aren't shifting as nice as I'm use to. I just lubed it again and am going to see how it runs.
    I've tuned it up to where she shifts gears well enough, but I'm a stickler for smooth shifting.
    But you know what'll come next if I go with the groupset right? Fork then brakes then paint.

    I already have $800. into this Shug with another $300. coming in.
    Again, all stuff I can transfer over to another bike.
    I'm looking at a Turner 5 Spot for my über-bike.
    But then again, I might just keep this one too.
    Can't have too many bikes you know.
    Sounds like a winner! Have some fun with your GF. Its one hell of a ride.

  16. #16
    OnTheTrailAgain
    Reputation: 2ndgen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,165
    Fighting the Upgraditis.



    Definitely going with a WTB saddle and a Salsa post clamp and a set of XTR Trail Pedals
    (even though my PDM737 SPD's are working perfectly fine). The pedals alone would
    drop my bike's weight by more than 1/2 lb (240g). All these are in line with my "keepable"
    upgrade option.

    My OEM Bontrager Superstock wheels are true and roll well and they are in great shape aesthetically.
    There is absolutely NO reason for me to swap out the wheels.
    BUT! Came across a great deal on a set of Mavic Crosstrails.
    The swap would drop 369g's from the 30.1lb weight of the Sugar.
    Not an insignificant amount. If I went with the wheels and pedals,
    I'd drop a full 1.34lbs taking the Sug down to about 28.76lbs.

    Granted, I got the bike's weight on a bathroom scale, so it may very well
    be less than 30lbs already, but I'm not getting weenie on this bike.
    (Have a Park Tool table top scale and hanging scale on the way)
    It's just great to find a rig for $300. that is already at 30lbs.
    I must admit, getting her to 27ish pounds would be nice though.

    After that, the only other upgrades left would be the groupset, fork and brakes.
    And "if" I went with the brakes, that would mean another wheel swap.

    It's so hard "not" upgrading it. I want to see how far I can take her.
    She's billed as an XC bike, but I think the Sugar's overbuilt for that.
    It makes a really nice trail bike. I wouldn't go AM with it,
    but it looks sturdy enough to take a light beating.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    529
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndgen View Post
    ... it may very well
    be less than 30lbs already, but I'm not getting weenie on this bike.
    Sounds like you already are, forget about the weight, go ride and have fun.

  18. #18
    Warrior's Society
    Reputation: mtnbikej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    6,554
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndgen View Post
    So, what should I keep my eye out for?
    What are the weak points?


    They have a nasty habit of cracking on the rear triangle. Would normally be a warranty item, but since it is used......ride it til it breaks.

    Also keep an eye on the mount for the rear shock on the front triangle, they have cracking issues around the weld.
    I resolve to constantly assert my honest opinion on anything and everything - whether it is requested or not.
    Bucky the Cat

  19. #19
    OnTheTrailAgain
    Reputation: 2ndgen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,165
    Quote Originally Posted by ssalmons View Post
    Sounds like you already are, forget about the weight, go ride and have fun.
    Somewhat guilty as charged.


    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    They have a nasty habit of cracking on the rear triangle. Would normally be a warranty item, but since it is used......ride it til it breaks. Also keep an eye on the mount for the rear shock on the front triangle, they have cracking issues around the weld.
    Thanks! I am doing precisely that.

  20. #20
    OnTheTrailAgain
    Reputation: 2ndgen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,165
    I should just do the wheels, saddle, clamp & pedals and call it a day. ($450./total more)
    Then, just keep it as a back up bike even "after" the Turner is built.

    Discs would cost me a total of $$500. more (disc wheels/brakes fr & r) for entry-level stuff,
    it'd easily add a pound back to the bike and I doubt it would be worth it for how I ride.
    The V's w/Kool Stops are good enough.

    But damn...a decent used Fox 32 would look (and function) great on it.
    Then it turns into a $2K 8 year old bike that can crack. Grrr.

    See? It's like a disease.


  21. #21
    Warrior's Society
    Reputation: mtnbikej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    6,554
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndgen View Post
    I should just do the wheels, saddle, clamp & pedals and call it a day. ($450./total more)
    Then, just keep it as a back up bike even "after" the Turner is built.

    Discs would cost me a total of $$500. more (disc wheels/brakes fr & r) for entry-level stuff,
    it'd easily add a pound back to the bike and I doubt it would be worth it for how I ride.
    The V's w/Kool Stops are good enough.

    But damn...a decent used Fox 32 would look (and function) great on it.
    Then it turns into a $2K 8 year old bike that can crack. Grrr.

    See? It's like a disease.



    I would spend no more money on a 8 year old bike.

    Save the money and buy a new/newer bike.
    I resolve to constantly assert my honest opinion on anything and everything - whether it is requested or not.
    Bucky the Cat

  22. #22
    OnTheTrailAgain
    Reputation: 2ndgen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,165
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    I would spend no more money on a 8 year old bike.

    Save the money and buy a new/newer bike.
    I bought it for 300. Everything else I put into it is transferable to my next bike (no loss there and I get the benefit of the upgrade
    over the original parts replaced). Of the rest of the upgrades in mind, only the wheelset would basically not be able to be
    used on my next bike (it's a rim brake specific wheel). The pedals and saddle and seat clamp, all transferable too.

    I know for a fact I would greatly benefit from the wheelset. I already rock a set of Ksyriums on my road bike
    (the MTB set I'm going to get is of the same caliber). "With" the wheelset, the Sugar would still only end up costing me $540.
    For a back up bike, that's not bad at all. When I get the new bike, I'll swap the components with the current bike.
    I'd still have a much better than stock Fisher and it wouldn't cost me anything more than the purchase price & wheelset.

    So, I will "not" be going all out and upgrading to disc brakes/wheels & another fork.
    And the wheelset I'm getting is overkill for this particular bike but damn worth it.

    I will stop at my next set of upgrades and that's it (wheels, seat clamp, saddle and pedals).




    Edit: What a little research yielded...
    For about $15. more than the V-Brake wheelset,
    I can get a set of BB7 brakes that'll work with my levers
    and a 2010 disc wheelset with the same 2 year warranty.

    The '09 V wheelset is a better wheel and weighs 150g's less.
    The '10 disc wheelset is not as hot as the '09, but again,
    there is only a 150g weight penalty and they are disc ready.
    So, full upgrade to discs/wheelset? Only $300./shipped.
    (For another $30., I can get the BB7 complete brakesets,
    new levers, cables and all...that'd be waaaay better: $330.)

    I'll decide in 24 hours.
    Last edited by 2ndgen; 08-30-2011 at 06:39 AM.

  23. #23
    Warrior's Society
    Reputation: mtnbikej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    6,554
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndgen View Post
    I bought it for 300. Everything else I put into it is transferable to my next bike (no loss there and I get the benefit of the upgrade
    over the original parts replaced). Of the rest of the upgrades in mind, only the wheelset would basically not be able to be
    used on my next bike (it's a rim brake specific wheel). The pedals and saddle and seat clamp, all transferable too.

    I know for a fact I would greatly benefit from the wheelset. I already rock a set of Ksyriums on my road bike
    (the MTB set I'm going to get is of the same caliber). "With" the wheelset, the Sugar would still only end up costing me $540.
    For a back up bike, that's not bad at all. When I get the new bike, I'll swap the components with the current bike.
    I'd still have a much better than stock Fisher and it wouldn't cost me anything more than the purchase price & wheelset.

    So, I will "not" be going all out and upgrading to disc brakes/wheels & another fork.
    And the wheelset I'm getting is overkill for this particular bike but damn worth it.

    I will stop at my next set of upgrades and that's it (wheels, seat clamp, saddle and pedals).




    Edit: What a little research yielded...
    For about $15. more than the V-Brake wheelset,
    I can get a set of BB7 brakes that'll work with my levers
    and a 2010 disc wheelset with the same 2 year warranty.

    The '09 V wheelset is a better wheel and weighs 150g's less.
    The '10 disc wheelset is not as hot as the '09, but again,
    there is only a 150g weight penalty and they are disc ready.
    So, full upgrade to discs/wheelset? Only $300./shipped.
    (For another $30., I can get the BB7 complete brakesets,
    new levers, cables and all...that'd be waaaay better: $330.)

    I'll decide in 24 hours.
    Your frame requires a special adapter to run disc brakes......don't know whether Trek still makes/stocks them.
    I resolve to constantly assert my honest opinion on anything and everything - whether it is requested or not.
    Bucky the Cat

  24. #24
    OnTheTrailAgain
    Reputation: 2ndgen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,165
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    Your frame requires a special adapter to run disc brakes......don't know whether Trek still makes/stocks them.
    Thanks.

    From what I've read, it was for 2000 and 2001 frames I believe?
    Didn't hear anything about it for 2002 & up.

    When I order the brakes, I'm going to inquire on what frames they fit.
    They come with adapters, but I'll have to find out if that adapter will
    work with the Sug frame.

    If it can't be done, then I'll just roll with the V's and the better/lighter wheelset.
    But again, thanks for the insight.

  25. #25
    OnTheTrailAgain
    Reputation: 2ndgen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,165
    I've made it through the temptation.
    I decided to "not" go with the brake upgrade.

    Just going with a WTB Rocket V Pro Saddle, (so far) a Salsa
    Seat Post Clamp & a set of XTR985 Trail Pedals and that's it.

    Going to start stackin' my chips for my next "Build".
    I think this bike is done. That's as far as I'm going to take it.
    Now, I'm just going to ride hard and put it up wet.
    Thanks for the input fellas.



    Last edited by 2ndgen; 09-01-2011 at 03:03 AM.

  26. #26
    OnTheTrailAgain
    Reputation: 2ndgen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,165
    Update:
    Have the Rocket V Saddle, but Salsa clamp came in too small. Got the right size on order.
    Weight comes in at a high 29lbs. Going to finally put her through her paces on some great
    trails in WV at the end of the week. Pics to follow.


  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: XRaptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndgen View Post
    I should just do the wheels, saddle, clamp & pedals and call it a day. ($450./total more)
    Then, just keep it as a back up bike even "after" the Turner is built.

    Discs would cost me a total of $$500. more (disc wheels/brakes fr & r) for entry-level stuff,
    it'd easily add a pound back to the bike and I doubt it would be worth it for how I ride.
    The V's w/Kool Stops are good enough.

    But damn...a decent used Fox 32 would look (and function) great on it.
    Then it turns into a $2K 8 year old bike that can crack. Grrr.

    See? It's like a disease.

    I would not worry too much. I really have put some nasty wrecks and hits to the sugar 4. I do believe it will last. And really if you put the good stuff on the bike it always is transferable to a new bike. I say invest in it if it brings you pleasure. I am more then happy with mine.

  28. #28
    OnTheTrailAgain
    Reputation: 2ndgen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,165
    Quote Originally Posted by XRaptor View Post
    I would not worry too much. I really have put some nasty wrecks and hits to the sugar 4. I do believe it will last. And really if you put the good stuff on the bike it always is transferable to a new bike. I say invest in it if it brings you pleasure. I am more then happy with mine.
    Thanks.

    Will have pics with all the new bits on it up by this weekend.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    48
    Hey, sorry to join this thread so late. The adapter for your Sugar to convert to disc is part # 87855 from your Trek or Fisher dealer. I also have an'03 Sugar 4+ and I love it still. Everything has been upgraded over the years, and I hope to keep riding it for many more years.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: XRaptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by fishxpig View Post
    Hey, sorry to join this thread so late. The adapter for your Sugar to convert to disc is part # 87855 from your Trek or Fisher dealer. I also have an'03 Sugar 4+ and I love it still. Everything has been upgraded over the years, and I hope to keep riding it for many more years.
    Sweet! Ill keep that in mind. My front disk and rear V-brake set up works out pretty well for me. Once I get a little bit more cash flow Ill be getting a whole new bike, and keeping my Sugar as a back up.

  31. #31
    OnTheTrailAgain
    Reputation: 2ndgen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,165
    Quote Originally Posted by fishxpig View Post
    Hey, sorry to join this thread so late. The adapter for your Sugar to convert to disc is part # 87855 from your Trek or Fisher dealer. I also have an'03 Sugar 4+ and I love it still. Everything has been upgraded over the years, and I hope to keep riding it for many more years.
    Thanks!

    FYI:
    I got this source directly from Trek for suppliers for Disc Brake Adapters:

    Torontocycles Disc Brake Adapters, Caliper Adapters, b&s adapters


  32. #32
    OnTheTrailAgain
    Reputation: 2ndgen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,165
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ymGk3lXNHnE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

  33. #33
    OnTheTrailAgain
    Reputation: 2ndgen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,165
    They disappeared from the original post, but here are the "Before" pics...


  34. #34
    OnTheTrailAgain
    Reputation: 2ndgen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,165
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndgen View Post
    Update:
    Have the Rocket V Saddle, but Salsa clamp came in too small. Got the right size on order.
    Weight comes in at a high 29lbs. Going to finally put her through her paces on some great
    trails in WV at the end of the week. Pics to follow.

    It looks like the seat clamps are within 2 grams of each other (Salsa VS OEM Gary Fisher clamp).

    The GF clamp is basically new believe it or not.
    No major weight savings there, so there'll be no reason to change it.
    I'm sending the Salsa clamp back. It's not necessary and there is no great benefit.

    I guess that just leaves pedals (Shimano XTR 985 Trail) to upgrade.
    The PD-M737's are working just fine, but there's a 146g saving there.
    (985 @ 370g VS 737 @ 516g)

    While (believe it or not) the OEM Bontrager Race Basic Saddle was comfortable enough
    for me (it's been on 3 bikes so far), the WTB is better and looks much better on the bike.
    Hoping to get her out in the next few days for some nice pics before I dirty her up.



    Last edited by 2ndgen; 01-02-2012 at 12:02 PM.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    38
    I'm watching this thread as I have a Sugar+ 4. I bought it new in 2004. Recently I've started working on the Sugar. I've put on disk wheels and installed the rear disk adapter that Trek used to sell (it's available on Ebay for $35). Next stop Avid BB7 disk brakes front and rear.

    Over the past 8 years I've also upgraded to XT shifters and XTR rear D. The front is still LX.

    After the disk brakes I'm probably done upgrading this bike. The fork and shock are still working OK, but surely are in need of upgrading.

    I don't have many miles on this bike - probably less than 200 miles, I'm a roadie, but have started riding MTB near my home about 2 times a week. I'm lovin' it and enjoying the bike. I don't know if I'd enjoy a new bike that much more.

  36. #36
    OnTheTrailAgain
    Reputation: 2ndgen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,165
    Quote Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
    I'm watching this thread as I have a Sugar+ 4. I bought it new in 2004. Recently I've started working on the Sugar. I've put on disk wheels and installed the rear disk adapter that Trek used to sell (it's available on Ebay for $35). Next stop Avid BB7 disk brakes front and rear.

    Over the past 8 years I've also upgraded to XT shifters and XTR rear D. The front is still LX.

    After the disk brakes I'm probably done upgrading this bike. The fork and shock are still working OK, but surely are in need of upgrading.

    I don't have many miles on this bike - probably less than 200 miles, I'm a roadie, but have started riding MTB near my home about 2 times a week. I'm lovin' it and enjoying the bike. I don't know if I'd enjoy a new bike that much more.
    Coincidentally, all day today I've been struggling with going that far into upgrading the Sugar:
    -Mavic Disc Wheels -XT-M770 Group -130mm Fox Fork -Elixir 3 Disc Brakes
    + adapter for the rear -Matte Black Paint w/Gold Outline Factory Decals

    Got pics of yours?

    Then I remember why I got it. I have a Turner 5.Spot in my future for the Spring.
    It was meant to be a transition for me until I could build a custom MTB.
    Still, it's such a nice riding rig that I feel like it deserves to be upgraded.

    I'm almost finished building my -----> CAAD9.
    Just need a 58mm carbon wheelset and a little more Weight Weenieing
    to get her down to 15lbs (right now, she's back up to 16.49lbs w/pedals).

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    38
    I hear you. Upgrading an old bike is fun, but there is a point where you are just throwing away money. I did that with my first road bike. I bought a great 2005 Trek bike on CL for $400. A real bargain. Then I upgraded everything but the frame. I learned a TON about working on bikes and the bike was really great. But then I bought a new Felt Z4 carbon/ultegra bike and I've only riden the Trek once since then.

    I probably put an additional $1,000 into the old Trek. But it's not worth any more than the $400 or so I paid for it. But its a great back up bike.

    The Sugar+ 4 I bought new. We lived in Jackson Hole, Wyoming and it was a great place to ride. In 2005 I started upgrading it with a plan to make it a Sugar+ 2 with my upgrades -- that's when I added the XT/XTR stuff and the disk wheels. Then we moved to Texas and I lost interest in the summer heat here.

    After putting in 2500 miles on the road this past 6 months I decided to clean up the Sugar and take if for a ride in a local park. It was super fun, so I've gone 3 more times and enjoyed it each time.

    That's what's got me upgrading again and putting disk brakes on her. However, I plan to stop there. If I keep riding and enjoying THEN I'll get a new bike. I've got my eye on a Niner FS 29er.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    14
    you guys got me motivated to put in a little work with my 02 Sugar 2+.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    38
    On paper at least the Sugar is hard to beat for a cheap bike. Anything else for what you'd spend on a 7 year old Sugar is going to be way below spec.

  40. #40
    OnTheTrailAgain
    Reputation: 2ndgen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,165
    Quote Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
    I hear you. Upgrading an old bike is fun, but there is a point where you are just throwing away money. I did that with my first road bike. I bought a great 2005 Trek bike on CL for $400. A real bargain. Then I upgraded everything but the frame. I learned a TON about working on bikes and the bike was really great. But then I bought a new Felt Z4 carbon/ultegra bike and I've only riden the Trek once since then.

    I probably put an additional $1,000 into the old Trek. But it's not worth any more than the $400 or so I paid for it. But its a great back up bike.

    The Sugar+ 4 I bought new. We lived in Jackson Hole, Wyoming and it was a great place to ride. In 2005 I started upgrading it with a plan to make it a Sugar+ 2 with my upgrades -- that's when I added the XT/XTR stuff and the disk wheels. Then we moved to Texas and I lost interest in the summer heat here.

    After putting in 2500 miles on the road this past 6 months I decided to clean up the Sugar and take if for a ride in a local park. It was super fun, so I've gone 3 more times and enjoyed it each time.

    That's what's got me upgrading again and putting disk brakes on her. However, I plan to stop there. If I keep riding and enjoying THEN I'll get a new bike. I've got my eye on a Niner FS 29er.
    It's hard to "not" want to drop a few coins into it.

    I was having issues with shifting, but after I mounted it on the stand and tuned it up,
    there were no more issues. I keep reminding myself that it's 8 years old.
    Besides, it literally doesn't need anything whatsoever. As is, she's fine.
    I'd have no regrets if I bought her new and went all out upgrading her.

    I want my next MTB to be just like that...a "Keeper".

  41. #41
    OnTheTrailAgain
    Reputation: 2ndgen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,165

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    27
    2003 Gary Fisher Sugar 4+-img_20120114_110717.jpg

    2003 Gary Fisher Sugar 4+-img_20120114_110633.jpg


    So I'm glad to find a Sugar thread... love my son's Sugar 3... he's outgrowing the small so his brother 9yo will get it and I found a Sugar 1 med frame for my 11yo. Prob is I only have crank and Front derailer, LX.

    Need advice on parts to put on it without breaking the bank. Once I figure out how to insert pic.... I will. OK

    Sugar 3 is a 2003 w/ all XT/XTR
    Sugar 1 is a 2002 w/ LX....
    Last edited by 3boysdad; 01-14-2012 at 09:25 AM.

  43. #43
    OnTheTrailAgain
    Reputation: 2ndgen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,165
    Quote Originally Posted by 3boysdad View Post


    So I'm glad to find a Sugar thread... love my son's Sugar 3... he's outgrowing the small so his brother 9yo will get it and I found a Sugar 1 med frame for my 11yo. Prob is I only have crank and Front derailer, LX.

    Need advice on parts to put on it without breaking the bank. Once I figure out how to insert pic.... I will. OK

    Sugar 3 is a 2003 w/ all XT/XTR
    Sugar 1 is a 2002 w/ LX....
    Nice!

    Welcome aboard 3BD!

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    529
    Quote Originally Posted by 3boysdad View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20120114_110717.jpg 
Views:	2484 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	666355

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20120114_110633.jpg 
Views:	4519 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	666356


    So I'm glad to find a Sugar thread... love my son's Sugar 3... he's outgrowing the small so his brother 9yo will get it and I found a Sugar 1 med frame for my 11yo. Prob is I only have crank and Front derailer, LX.

    Need advice on parts to put on it without breaking the bank. Once I figure out how to insert pic.... I will. OK

    Sugar 3 is a 2003 w/ all XT/XTR
    Sugar 1 is a 2002 w/ LX....
    Everyone's idea of "breaking the bank" is different, but build kits are reasonably priced at pricepoint.com, especially if you can wait for a coupon. Or you could buy a bikesdirect.com bike to steal parts. Used is always the cheapest option.

  45. #45
    OnTheTrailAgain
    Reputation: 2ndgen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,165
    SLX groups are extremely reasonable and are now including trickle-down tech from even current XTR.
    For a bike to cruise local trails, that's more than enough. $400. would renew an old bike and bring it into the future.


  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    27
    I will def try to get 9/10 speed combo....
    Prefer to find it all used from someone upgrading....from "ok" to great components.

    Love these sugar's !!

  47. #47
    OnTheTrailAgain
    Reputation: 2ndgen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,165
    A complete 2011-2012 LX Groupset goes for between $250.-$300. brand-new.

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    27
    I guess I don't know what's in a "Groupset". Jensonusa & pricepoint are best resources ?
    Thx for input.

    My needs:
    Wheels w/ 9 or 10 "gearset"? $100-200
    Breaks: Levers/Disk/Break $100 ?
    Shifter's with levers $50-100 ?
    Rear Derailer $50-90
    Cables and cover etc...$50

  49. #49
    OnTheTrailAgain
    Reputation: 2ndgen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,165
    Quote Originally Posted by 3boysdad View Post
    I guess I don't know what's in a "Groupset". Jensonusa & pricepoint are best resources ?
    Thx for input.

    My needs:
    Wheels w/ 9 or 10 "gearset"? $100-200
    Breaks: Levers/Disk/Break $100 ?
    Shifter's with levers $50-100 ?
    Rear Derailer $50-90
    Cables and cover etc...$50
    A groupset would include your drivetrain and crankset
    (derailleurs, cassette, chain, crankset, bottom bracket, cables, shifters).

    Here's a groupset for about $250.-$300. w/shipping:
    Shimano Deore Drivetrain - £150.73 - CycleCube



    If you want to go discs, count on spending about $450.-$500. w/discs.

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    38
    I installed Avid BB7s on my Sugar + 4 yesterday. They seem to work fine and using the adapter for the rear frame made it super easy. The brakes were on sale at Performance this weekend and the frame adapter had arrived earlier. It was pretty easy and only took about 1.5 hours all together.

    BUT... I was guessing that the bike was a 2004 model, but I started looking at Treks Vintage bike website and found it's a 2002. I bought it new, but completely forgot when I got it. So, it's a 10 year old bike this year. Certainly, I'll keep riding it, but I doubt I'll put more money into it. At 10 years it's not really worth it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Gary Fisher Sugar Saint
    By NorCal-Saint in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 02-19-2008, 06:06 AM
  2. Gary Fisher Sugar 4+ ??
    By ChadS99SVT in forum Bike and Frame discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-26-2007, 06:31 AM
  3. Gary Fisher Sugar 3+ GS
    By muddywings in forum Women's Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-26-2006, 06:47 PM
  4. Gary Fisher Sugar 3+ For Sale
    By autobot in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-24-2006, 10:03 AM
  5. Gary Fisher Sugar 4+
    By fnorbi in forum Bike and Frame discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-25-2005, 04:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •