Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I can't post my photos because I have only 6 posts. You need 10. Ugh.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Wow, that was fast.

So, here are the photos of my brake install and my Sugar+ 4:

OK, let's try this now...

Here's some photos:

OnTheTrailAgain
    Quote Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
    Wow, that was fast.

Outstanding!
    Very nice!

Question:
    What wheelset do you have?

Let us know how much better they are than the V-Brakes.
    I think it's a worthy upgrade. Damn that's tempting me.
    It's so hard to not upgrade this bike.

[BTW...I actually want to paint my Sugar Matte Black.]
    Last edited by 2ndgen; 01-15-2012 at 03:11 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Nice BB7's, I have the same on my 2004 Sugar Race. I ran 185mm up front and 160 in the rear.

Not to hijack, but I saw a "lightly used" 2010 Fox Float R rear shock on cragslist for $80. My question is, does anybody know the size of the shock on these sugars? And if so, are the 3, 4, Race, etc. the same? The size of the Fox for sale is 190mm X 50mm.

Worst case I can just measure when I get home, but the Gary Fisher Archive page shows the stock as a Float R but no size. I have a Cane Creek AD 12 on there now (I bought frame only). Any help would be amazing, thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by XRaptor View Post
    Awesome bike 2ndgen. I have a special spot in my hart for 03Sugar 4's. Might be cause I have had mine for 8 years and still looks great! Still loving it. But had to do some upgrades along the way. I'm about $300 away from finishing it. Need a new seat post, bars, headset and seat. But everything else is new.

Rock Shox Tora Solo Air
    Mavic Crossride disc & Rim wheelset
    Shimano SLX crankset
    Shimano XT shifters
    Hutchinson Cobra Tires tubeless
    SRAM chain
    SRAM cassette
    Shimano XT Front Derailleur
    Shimano XT rear derailleur
    Avid BB7 front brake
    Shimano XT rear V-brake
    flat rock ranch?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Now that my disk brakes have bedded in properly the bike stops on a dime and gives you 9 cents change. Even in the wet.

This is a good upgrade. But my next upgrade will be to a Santa Cruz Tallboy AL. I'm not spending any more on this 10 year old bike. I hope it's next owner enjoys the new brakes.

OnTheTrailAgain
    Now that my disk brakes have bedded in properly the bike stops on a dime and gives you 9 cents change. Even in the wet.

This is a good upgrade. But my next upgrade will be to a Santa Cruz Tallboy AL. I'm not spending any more on this 10 year old bike. I hope it's next owner enjoys the new brakes.
    Nice!

I'm done with mine, but it's not like she needs anything anyway.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by security58 View Post
    flat rock ranch?
    Sorry took soo long for respond. Bottom pic is Flat Rock. Top is Emma Long (City Park) Austin.

Sad face this past week. Went out to Canyon Lake to hit up Madrone Trail and this happened. Found a replacement hanger on amazon for $25 but have to wait a week and a half to get it.
    [IMG][/IMG]

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The rocks grow big on that trail. At least it's not a long walk home. Unless you rode your bike to Canyon Lake Park from somewhere else.

OnTheTrailAgain
    Quote Originally Posted by XRaptor View Post
    Sorry took soo long for respond. Bottom pic is Flat Rock. Top is Emma Long (City Park) Austin.

Sad face this past week. Went out to Canyon Lake to hit up Madrone Trail and this happened. Found a replacement hanger on amazon for $25 but have to wait a week and a half to get it.
    Glad to hear there's a quick fix.

Question:
    How'd you do it?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Fellow Sugar owners...

I've got 3 boys... as my title implies....

Two have been upgraded from 24" to a Sugar 1 and Sugar 3 respectively.

My youngest is more than ready to make the jump to a 26"

Anybody got a small Sugar with some life left in it ?
    oh... and that won't break the bank.
    Dad = Trek Fuel 5.5
    11 yo = Sugar 1
    9 yo = Sugar 3
    8 yo = Trek 220

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndgen View Post
    Glad to hear there's a quick fix.

Question:
    How'd you do it?
    I can only guess but I'm really not too sure sure. I thinking the age plus a few weeks ago I had a nice crash and bent the hanger. I had it re straighten but had a feeling it was not going to last much longer after that. After I landed a jump I veered off the trail and went over a few big lose rocks. I think one might have been launched right into my derailleur and thus pushed the hanger to its limits.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Wow, that was fast.

OK, let's try this now...

Here's some photos:

sorry im a newbie. question for ya. What brakes are those BB7s? and are those the stock wheels? I'm thinking about buying a sugar 4+ but i think i would want disc brakes.

what is that piece called that you have to add because i didnt see a spot for disc brake mounts on the frame?

how are the v-brakes that come on them stock?

thanks for the help

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Yes, they are BB7s. Nope, the wheels are not the originals because they were not disk compatible. The Vee brakes were fine. I could have stuck with 'em. but I had been planning on adding disks for 8 years so I finally just went ahead and completed the process.

Now the bike is going to be sold and really it was all for nothing. But that's how it goes sometimes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Yes, they are BB7s. Nope, the wheels are not the originals because they were not disk compatible. The Vee brakes were fine. I could have stuck with 'em. but I had been planning on adding disks for 8 years so I finally just went ahead and completed the process.

Now the bike is going to be sold and really it was all for nothing. But that's how it goes sometimes.
    good info. what size adapter is that?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    They don't come in sizes.

They are made for 8 to 10 year old Treks and Gary Fishers. I found it on Ebay. Two guys sell two different versions for about $39. Your bike has to have the three mounting holes built into the stays or it won't fit. The Sugars do. At least mine did.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I've got a gf Sugar 3+ 2003 which was the warranty grandchild of my original gf Y-frame back in '98. As much as i loved the Joshua i had in between the Sugar 3+ has been such a fun ride for me. Lots of road and light/medium trail/singletrack and moderate technical trail stuff riding along with my first attempts at learning tricks. I think it's a nimble bike and very responsive and that makes it well suited for lots of riding styles.

Now i had it outfitted with a manitou Skareb Air Elite front fork and cane creek Cloud Nine rear shock. These worked well for me since i didn't do more than 2 feet or so high drops and wasn't hitting any gnarly rock garden type stuff either. I love this bike and just upgraded the busted shocks for some new gear. Now it's sporting a manitou Minute expert front and rockshox rc3 Monarch rear shock. Haven't taken it for a ride yet, but i'm excited.

Glad to see other Sugar fans.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

An homage to my Fisher Sugar 4+

2003 Gary Fisher Sugar 4+-20120819_160724.jpg

I just sold my '03 Sugar 4+ -- my first full suspension bike and my only steed these past 10 years.

I bought it off eBay from a guy in Idaho who had it kitted up as a long-distance tourer with saddle and frame bags and fenders and all that. Got it for $750 delivered with very few miles on it. I think maybe he broke hissef or something training for some massive ride like the CDT or something.

The first thing I did was upgrade to Shimano XT/LX drivetrain to eliminate the chainsuck I experienced on my first ride. After that it was a carbon Weyless bar and XT v-brakes. I was living in Las Vegas and riding the desert trails and southern Utah mountains, and this bike came to me just when I was ready for it.

I cracked the fork dropout on the stock Manitou in '04 pulling into my garage with the bike on top (d'oh) -- I was shelled after a 35-mile desert ride outside Vegas, but there was more damage to the house than the bike. Upgraded to an '04 Marzocchi Marathon S, and the extra 20mm of travel plus a lockout made this bike ROCK. Never had any problems with the Marzocchi -- it's still on the bike and works like it was new, never been overhauled.

Finally I made the decision to go with some new wheels and mechanical disc brakes. In '05 I moved to Colorado and picked up some Mavic Crossland Disc UST wheels and IRD Dual Banger Disc brakes. Once I finally got the brakes set up -- those things were a bear to shim and adjust -- the bike was like new again. The IRD's were powerful, but short-lived, and I went to lighter and simpler Avid BB7's after about 2 years.

In 2010 some friends and I made a drunken commitment to train for a 12-hour adventure race outside Breckenridge. I decided the Fox Float rear shock was inadequate for my needs in that context, and had started to get new bike fever over a Kona Cadabra, but didn't have the cash to buy a new bike. Instead I opted for a custom-tuned RockShox Monarch RT3 HV from Push...wow, what a huge difference. Small bump compliance was vastly improved, and big hits (for this bike) were handled much more smoothly and progressively. I had a new bike again! My bike was ready for 25 miles of Rocky Mountain singletrack racing. We placed 3rd in our category - a respectable finish, if I do say so.

2011 brought another move -- from Colorado to New Mexico via 6mos in Tampa for work. That short purgatory in Florida saw a new set of wheels -- Shimano MT65 disc wheels. Way lighter than the Mavics, sealed rim bed for tubeless, but narrower profile too...my Nevegal 2.1's were just a touch wide for them, and the rear tire didn't have as much support. In hard cornering, I could feel the tire roll just a little. The Mavics were relegated to hosting some Michelin slicks for my flat, 12-mile commute and a little urban riding.

On to New Mexico...and my trusty steed continued to perform well. The 13-year old integrated LX shifter/brake pods were wearing out, though -- I effectively rode a 2x9 setup as I couldn't reliably shift into the big ring...I think one of the teeth broke inside the shifter pod. And I may have had a bent derailleur hanger as the teeth on the cage pulleys kept wearing down to nubs. The underside of the downtube looked like it had measles -- lots of rock chips from years of carrying me through all kinds of terrain. The pivots needed more frequent tightening and loctite to keep them from creaking - they had never been overhauled. But a year of Otero Canyon, White Mesa, and Sandia Peak trails and she was like the Millenium Falcon, saving my ass every time I got in too deep and earning respect from those with much fancier, newer rigs.

Finally, though...the new bike fever got to me, and I was in the position to do something about it. Banshee. Rune. V2. 650B.

I toyed briefly with keeping my Sugar, but then a good friend whose teenage son is getting into riding approached me and asked if it was for sale. Had it been a stranger, I probably would have said no...had it been to convert it to a klunker for thrashing around, I would have said no. They took a test ride and loved it. So...for $300, off it went. Now it's someone else's to love.

This bike saw Cottonwood Canyon, Bootleg, Virgin River Rim, Gooseberry Mesa, Hurricane, Horsethief Bench, Mammoth Mountain, Hartman Rocks, 401, Buffalo Creek, USAFA's Falcon Trail, Balm Boyette, Otero Canyon, Angel Fire, Sandia Peak, Breckenridge, various sections of the Colorado Trail, White Mesa...and probably hundreds of lesser-known trails.

Vaya con Dios, amigo.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3