mtbr member
    Mar 2010

2001 Sugar Bontrager RaceLite rear hub problems

i have a 2001 Sugar 1 that i love. problem is the first owner didnt love it quite as much as i do and never maintained it even though he was racing it and riding it like a downhill bike. the cassette was really loud so i figured it needed a little lubrication before it trashed the internals. so i got the thing apart and its not like any other engagement system i've ever seen. rather ingenious actually. two identical peices (idk what they are called so i'll call them thingers) nest together and one splines into the gear cluster and the other splines into the hub. there is a spring between the hub bearing and the thinger. that causes the thinger to reciprocate as the teeth slide along the teeth of the other thinger in the cluster.

i'll get pics if i can. so i took it all apart and checked all the bearings for wear and some are a little wobbly but no huge problems. i also cleaned the whole gear cluster cuz it had obviously never been cleaned. i put it all back together and now when i turn the driver back its really tough and i can tell its from the cluster going side to side rather than the thinger in the hub reciprocating. i have mostly figured its because they are pushed together too close and the spacer that goes in between the hub bearing and the driver bearings seems too short by only a little bit. i put a rubber band on the axle in between the spacer and the bearing to move it out a little and hopefully fix the problem. now the thingers aren't mashing too close together and it sounds right but when i put the wheel back in the dropouts and tighten the skewer it completely locks the cassette and does not coast.

does anybody with this wheelset and this bike have experiance with this problem? how do i fix it because spring is crawling up quick and i cant afford a new hub.
    everybody makes mistakes. this whole thread is one of mine enjoy.http://forums.mtbr.com/downhill-freeride/yellow-catapult-equator-bike-625231.html

I hate that name.
    It is a DT hub. Been a while since I had one apart, but it sounds like you left a part out or just put it back together not quite right. What did you lube it with when you reassembled?
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    ice wax. i looked everywhere and i cant seem to find any such part. i could try using a metal spacer or something like that to fill the gap. maybe that would work but other than that i cant really tell whats wrong.
    everybody makes mistakes. this whole thread is one of mine enjoy.http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=625231

I hate that name.
    I'm not sure ice wax would be good. I've been using mineral oil (the red Shimano brake fluid kind) on freehub internals with good results. It's hard to say without having it in front of me. Can you get it to a bike shop? DT hubs are common enough that most shops should know how to work on them.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    i'll try. i was sorta hoping to avoid that but gotta do what i gotta do. if anyone else knows whats wrong dont hesitate to post.
    everybody makes mistakes. this whole thread is one of mine enjoy.http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=625231