At Work

2000 Sugar 3 Rear Suspension Question

I thing my Cane Creek AD5 is toast. Past few weeks I have noticed the rear shock having violent rebound. Bad enough you hear it "clank" when it does this. I have tried to lower the pressure, but then it is just too soft. I have read/heard that this shock is an odd size. 6.5 x 1.5 stroke. I have found several Fox shocks with these spec's but I am concerned about it actually fitting. Who has had this happen? Who knows actually what shock will fit.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    6.5 - 1.5 is a normal size for fox... it should fit. Dunno about repairing that AD5... sorry bud.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    a lot of shocks in general have the 6.5x1.5 sizing. you may need new mounting hardware to fit the frame.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Sugar 3 shock

Hi,

I have an RP23 in my Sugar 3 which was sized by Mojo Hoodoo. It works great. If you want an AD-5 to replce you bust one you can have mine.

At Work
    how do you like the RP23 over the AD-5?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    The two just don't compare. Integrating the RP23 will be like buying a new bike - I promise you. It's like comparing the Manitou SX fork that shipped with the Sugar 3 frame to the latest top of the range cross country forks.

There's the customisation for a start. The RP23 platform can be switched on or off. When off you have a very high quality shock that is far more capable than the AD5 - smoother, less bob, more controlled. When the platform is on it gives you the adjustability you expect from a modern fork - using dials to cover anything a cross country trail can throw at you. It can be locked out for charging up climbs, or slacked for clambering over rocks. The amount of recoil can also be adjusted to the terrain.