mtbr member
    Jul 2015

Upset 2000 GF Sugar 3 Rear Shock Issue

So I've been looking for an answer to this short of taking the bike to a shop (I'd rather not spend the money if I don't have to), but I can't find anything.

I'm trying to replace the rear shock (Cane Creek AD-5) to a new X-Fusion I picked up but when I undo it where it attaches to the seat stay I can't get it to come apart. The one nut comes out, but the other side stays there and I can't get it out. Am I missing a trick or something? This is probably a really dumb question but I can't find a manual or any answers.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    There should be a shaft all the way through you'll need to push out. If the bushing in the shock has gone bad the shaft can get stuck in the shock eye and may need some twisting to get out. I would put the other bolt back in and thread it like halfway in then try to tap that with a hammer and see if the other side starts to come out. If that works you can get something else to continue tapping it all the way out or grab the head with some pliers/vice grips and twist/pull it out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Acme54321 View Post
    There should be a shaft all the way through you'll need to push out. If the bushing in the shock has gone bad the shaft can get stuck in the shock eye and may need some twisting to get out. I would put the other bolt back in and thread it like halfway in then try to tap that with a hammer and see if the other side starts to come out. If that works you can get something else to continue tapping it all the way out or grab the head with some pliers/vice grips and twist/pull it out.
    Thanks! I'll have to give that a shot when I get home. The LBS wants 100 bucks just to remove the old one, not even to put the new one on.