mtbr member
    Jul 2010

1999 Gary Fisher Wahoo upgrades

I picked up a 99 Wahoo . It was in sad shape. I have it all going now. Was wondering if anyone else has an older GF? I took the rigid front forks off and put threadless headset and suspension forks. A few other upgrades. So far so good. Anyone know where to get a manual at?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thought I'd post a pic or two...

mtbr member
    May 2008

Nice!

Man that thing is in great shape... did you repaint/resticker the frame?

I have a '97 Big Sur that I bought off a college kid, it looks like hell but runs as strong as ever. I pretty much replaced the whole drivetrain but still running 7speed Shimano. Also I'm still running the OEM RockShox Indy C, but I need to replace that to continue to ride.

Has the new fork altered the geometry adversely? That is why I continue to hesistate to replace my 63mm travel Indy C. People want a bunch for older forks on eBay but they're probably in the same shape as mine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by redcon1
    Man that thing is in great shape... did you repaint/resticker the frame?

I have a '97 Big Sur that I bought off a college kid, it looks like hell but runs as strong as ever. I pretty much replaced the whole drivetrain but still running 7speed Shimano. Also I'm still running the OEM RockShox Indy C, but I need to replace that to continue to ride.

Has the new fork altered the geometry adversely? That is why I continue to hesistate to replace my 63mm travel Indy C. People want a bunch for older forks on eBay but they're probably in the same shape as mine.
    The only thing the new fork did was raise the front end about 3/4 of an inch. The bike has not been repainted or stickered. I couldn't believe how good it looked for sitting in a junk yard of bikes. I'm real happy with how it turned out and how it rides.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    About the front forks, they came off of a battery operated bicycle. Someone was selling them on eBay. After riding with rigid front forks and getting beat to death, I took a chance on these forks. Although they are all spring w/80mm travel, it's a far sight better than rigid. The most "mountain biking" I do is to ride hell through the alleys and sandy trails around town. I'm in a flat desert country in West Texas.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    yep, a front suspension fork makes a big difference. Here's a pic of the old 'Sur, still rocking the 90's neon yellow toe staps. Now running SPD clipless, although after falling twice on a steep descent last night still clipped in, maybe I should put the clips/straps back on!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by redcon1
    yep, a front suspension fork makes a big difference. Here's a pic of the old 'Sur, still rocking the 90's neon yellow toe staps. Now running SPD clipless, although after falling twice on a steep descent last night still clipped in, maybe I should put the clips/straps back on!

That's real nice. Almost looks new from where I'm sitting. Notice you have the bar ends too. After going through the pic thread, I noticed not too many use them. They help me get aggressive.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I think bar ends have become less popular as handlebar widths have increased over the past decade.

mtbr member
    i may be a little late on the discussion, but I had a 99 hookooEkoo until a few weeks ago. I found that a very good for replacement was a rock shox SID. i have heard good and bad stories about them but I have had no trouble. also If you are looking for a newer bike with the same feel, I would recommend a 03-04 ish sugar 3+ or preferably the race model . I just bought one and love how similar it feels to the old hardtail.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I have the same bike, are you sure yours is a 1999? I haven't been able to locate any pics of a 1999 wahoo on the web. Did they offer to colors that year? It lists acid green, team red as colors.

epinions.com/bike-Bicycles-All-85936-Gary_Fisher_Wahoo__1999

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Here's pic of my Wahoo

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    '99 Gary Fisher Wahoo

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Sorry to resurrect the thread but what is the crown to axle length of the suspension forks that you guys used/steerer tube length? any suspension fork specifically that you'd recommend?
    I have a '99 Wahoo...
    ----------------------------------
    I bought rock shox quadra 21r, specs are 7 1/2 inch threadless steerer tube, and I believe 16 inches crown to axle length... I haven't received them yet so I can know for sure what the outcome will be.

Thanks guys.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    My 1994 Hoo Koo E Koo. Very pleased with this ride. Picked it up a few years ago for $150. All original except replacement rigid fork, raceface stem and spd's (Crowbar in pic migrated to another ride and replaced with original flat bar). I removed the bar ends as I don't really use them, but I still have them. She takes a beating, but runs strong. Its my backup bike and also my bikepacker. Someday I'll get a suspension fork on there, but for now, its all good!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Beautiful bike style, how's the suspension feel?