mtbr member
    Oct 2013

1996 Gary Fisher Joshua Build

So I know a lot of people donot like the URT Design of the Joshua but I do so I decided to update this bike. I was the original owner of a 1997 xo and sold it years ageo to my friend and wanted it back since but he wont sell it so I got this 96 off Ebay. I added a full XT package, new front shock and rear air shock, Disk brakes with 180mm Ice Tech Rotors. Here is a photo of it from the Listing on Ebay, I paid $300 shipped for it which was not a bad deal but the guy who sold it charged $100 and threw it in a box that was not padded so the bike got all scratched up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

This is when I got it from the FedEx Place.

See how crappy the package job was.

The bike after I put it together 1 hr after getting it from fedex and then I adjusted the cables and road it.

Strip off some of the Paint later on because The Green paint was all F up from the wonderful packing job, I used a Spray can Stripper I got at Autozone, It works great but I had to use a entire can, The Rear Triangle is another story, The paint on that thing is on in layers. I did my ol 97 x0 and it was the same thing.

I got a used bike frame from my Local Bike Shop Retro City Cycle in Orlando that was cracked so I could use the Disk Brake Mounts on it to get Tig Welded to my Bike Frame, The Rear Triangle on this Bike is Alum and my last Joshua the x0 was steel So I cut off the Rear Brake Mount and the Cable Tie downs along the Frame and Took it to my Friend that Owns my old Joshua that also owns a Tig Welder. He Welded on the Rear Brake Mount and After that I had Retro City Cycle Take apart the Bike for the Powder Coating Process.

The Bike Powder Coated. Cost me $100 plus Tax and the Bead Blasted the Entire Bike again and took off the Paint on the Rear Triangle.

This is the Finish Product After Retro City Cycle Built the Bike for me, I go on there Tuesday and Thursday Night Urban Rides every Chance I get.

In the End im so Happy with this Bike and how it turned out, Ive gone on Several Rides with it can its a Blast to ride, The Rear Shock is a huge key in that, it really helps with the Tuning of this Ride. The only thing Im going to change in the future is a remote Lock out for the Front. The Tech who built the Bike at Retro City Cycle did a awesome Job and Im so happy. Im doing a build on my Gary Fisher Fast City that they will be putting together for me. They Really took the time with me to bring this together and Im so happy that it all worked out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Here is info on that Rear Shock for my Gary Fisher Joshua.

1996 Gary Fisher Joshua Build-risse_01.gif

Here is the Web address Below:

Risse Racing - High performance mountain bike suspension shocks for Gary Fisher Bicycles

1996-1998 Joshua

Astro-5 Damper 50271-5 $298.00

To Order Call 541.526.7242

Name:  Astro-5.JPG
Views: 499
Size:  31.8 KB

The Astro 5
    Price: $298.00

The Astro-5 is for those who ride up . . . and down. Adjust your rear suspension "on the fly" with the Astro-5. The five position adjustment lever has a wide range of damping settings. From an "active" downhill setting to the uphill "climbing" setting, you can match your suspension to the terrain. When positioned on the stiffest setting, the shock mimics a lock-out but is not a lock-out.

The Astro-5 Damper is available for most rear suspension applications. Note: If your bike is not on our application list, that does not mean we cannot make a shock for your frame. The best thing to do is email us a picture of your bike and we will let you know if we're able to make a shock for it.

Vitals
    • Oil-damped, air-spring
    • "On the fly" damping adjustment lever (5 positions)
    • Manufactured with high strength, lightweight aerospace materials
    • Alloy shaft
    • Teflon bearing surfaces
    • Independent damping circuits for compression and rebound
    • Low stiction seals
    • Internal negative spring
    • Made in the USA

Benefits and Advantages
    • Infinitely adjustable air-spring rate
    • Progressive performance of an air spring
    • No special tools or disassembly is required for adjustment
    • Quiet, solid damping performance
    •Increases the rigidity of the swingarm
    • Simple to adjust for different weights and riding styles
    • Alloy shaft with PTFE (teflon) - decreases stiction
    • Damping is externally adjustable for precise tuning
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Frame cracked, sucks but allwell

Ok Current Update, I guess the Y Frame had a crack at the Y Frame Joint, Lucky me my buddy welds alum. I had the frame sand blasted and welded. I baught another Joshua Frame off craigslist for a donor. I cut a section out of that frame to use as a gusset.

I found a company that makes custom Headbadges. So this is that process.

tomarrow I will be getting the frame powder coated baby blue. I will post a updated once done and back together.
    Last edited by specalk; 02-02-2014 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Updated infomatuon on the build

mtbr member
    Oct 2013