mtbr member
    Sep 2008

120mm fork on Supercaliber 29er?

Hey guys, I'm not experienced with Gary Fisher bikes and 29ers in particular. My current ride is a 2008 Giant Trance XO and as such I enjoy it because it sits in between XC and all mountain. I'm thinking about adding a Supercaliber to the stable and was wondering if I could go up to a 120mm fork or if that would totally screw up the geometery? I's not a deal breaker if it's not a good idea since up until last year I did have a nice XC setup in my tried and true S-works FSR-XC. It would be very helpful though for me to know more about what the Supercalibers are capable of.

No longer 26
    I ran a 100mm on mine with little difference in handling. Not sure I'd trust the head tube area on it with a 120mm.

G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks. That's pretty much what I was thinking but I'm glad to know a 100mm fork will do well.

Warrior's Society
    Fisher bikes were not very stout to begin with......the Supercaliber and the Procaliber were pretty flexy in the larger sizes.....I wouldn't trust the headtube with the extra leverage if a longer fork.

Plus they weren't designed to run 120mm forks.....they didn't exist in 2008.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

Just Ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    Fisher bikes were not very stout to begin with......the Supercaliber and the Procaliber were pretty flexy in the larger sizes.....I wouldn't trust the headtube with the extra leverage if a longer fork.
    I think that all depends on the riders weight and riding style. My large '02 Supercaliber 29er is still in weekly service and has logged about 2k miles this year alone. That being said, I certainly would not use a 120mm fork, as that would take you from the the stock 71.5 HTA to around 67 or so. I run a Niner fork on mine and love it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 120mm fork on Supercaliber 29er?-state_maint.jpg  

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by kustomz View Post
    I think that all depends on the riders weight and riding style. My large '02 Supercaliber 29er is still in weekly service and has logged about 2k miles this year alone. That being said, I certainly would not use a 120mm fork, as that would take you from the the stock 71.5 HTA to around 67 or so. I run a Niner fork on mine and love it.
    Not sure whether the OP was talking about HT like yours, or one of the FS models, which I was referring to..

BikePedia - 2008 Gary Fisher Supercaliber Complete Bicycle
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

Just Ride!