mtbr member
    Oct 2011

06 cake 2 dlx for wife ?

I found a very nice 06 cake 2 dlx, the owner replaced the fox float fork with an RLC and even threw on a chris king headset,all maintenance was done by a reputable shop throughout the bikes life. Does anyone have any thought as to this being a good starter bike for my wife. She started going to the local trails on a Fisher Advance in the fall with me and some friends and likes it enough to want to keep going back. I realize she needs a better bike and she's partial to Fishers, so i thought this might be a good choice. Anyone have any thoughts, or at least some experience with this particular bike, thanks

Singletrackmac
    Great bike. Have had my 2004 cake 3 since 2005. American made frame is light, very well built and solid. I bought it new when I lived in Chico and rode it all over the upper Bidwell chunk. Very rough terrain. I now live in North Lake Tahoe and it does great on the black diamond trails up here. I have replaced everything on it except for the drivetrain and seat post. I'm 6'4, 240lbs and pretty rough on my equipment, so after 10 years of ridding on rough trails things need to be replaced. However the frame is solid and just won't die.

Single pivot design with over sized bearings is easy to maintain. Rear pivot is extremely easy to rebuild. Just need some locktite and takes about 20 to 30 min. If it needs new bearings you can get some enduro ones for $10 each. The DLX model takes 3 bearings, 2 on the drive side and 1 on the non drive side.

Gary's classic geo, long top tube and short chain stay which make for a stable, but very good handling ride that is easy to manual. Bike can easily fit 2.5" tires in the rear with room for mud clearance.

The only thing about the bike is that if it has the original rear shock it was tricky to dial in. You need to follow the instructions and fill the black and red chambers with the recommended air pressure according to rider weight otherwise it will either not pedal very well or will not be very plush. And if it doesn't feel right you will need to tweak the air pressure in the chambers. I replaced my rear shock with a RP23 with pro pedal and that is much easier to deal with and works great on climbs and DH.

Just realize that since it is from 2006, if it does have the original shock, that may need to be replaced since it is so old. Good news is that newer shocks have much better technology so it will make the bike ride that much better. While I like my fox rear shock, I wish I had checked out x-fusion shocks first. If you get an x fusion shock it cost $40 to have it tuned for any bike which will make it that much better.

Also, if the rear pivot has never been rebuilt, it may need that as well. Easy to tell if it needs this. Just see if there is any play at the rear pivot. If it clicks when your move the rear triangle side to side it probably needs to be rebuilt. I doubt you would need new bearings as that are oversized and very large, but the locktite will break loose over time, but like I said, it is very easy to do.

Any older mountain bike will need some maintenance, especially on components like shocks, forks and pivots. But this bike is great since it has just the one pivot and the pivot is so durable and easy to maintain. Other full suspension bikes are much more difficult to deal with their pivots and linkages, if they have a rocker; and their bearings, if custom, can be very expensive. If you do get this bike for your wife and need info on how to rebuild the pivot just PM me and I can send you the exploded diagram with part names and numbers of the rear pivot and steep by steep instructions on how to rebuild it, but it is very easy to do.

Here is a pic of my cake with its current set up, adjustable travel RS sektor fork 150-120mm, rp23 rear shock, 2.5" tires front a back on dt Swiss DH wheels, and 31" wide bars with 60mm short stem:

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  155.6 KB

And here is an old marketing video from Gary:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ol7jV5E6KKI
    Get out of the gutter and onto the mountain top.

"I only had like two winekills captain buzzcooler"

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    singletrackmack,

Thanks for the informative reply, your time is certainly appreciated. The bike is a consignment sale at a shop, the owner is asking $625, I went today to check it out.
    The three things that jumped out at me are, first the rear pivot has play, second the Fox RLC is weeping from both seals, third the Manitou swinger shock has no rebound control at all, and the rebound adjustment knob is frozen so that won't help. Based on your knowledge of this model,,what would you feel is a fair price, other than the three issues the bike is pretty nice otherwise.

Singletrackmac
    Well to start, bicyclebluebook.com has the like new value at $549.

2006 Gary Fisher Cake 2 DLX - New and Used Bike Value

The issue with the play an the pivot should not be a big deal. Just a quick rebuild like i mentioned above. All you'll probably need is some locktite. You will most likely need to order the locktite online since you need to get a specific kind (i don't remember off the top of my head, but can get you the specs if you need them), but it's easy to find and costs about $10-$20.

The fork leaking oil sounds like it needs a rebuild and new seals at the least. If the bushings are damaged then it will need new lowers. Cycle the fork thru a few times then grab the lower legs with one hand and the pull the front brake with the other. If there is a lot of play back and forth that could indicate the bushings are shot. However it is most likely that it needs a rebuild with new seals. You can check with a local shop to see how much this would cost.

As for the rear shock, your best bet is to just replace it with another 190mm x 50mm length shock. This one would work: Manitou Radium Expert Lock-Out | Chain Reaction Cycles
    However if you look around more you might be able to find a better deal on one or different brand for a similar price.

Considering how old the bike is and that it looks like all the suspension components need maintenance, I would start at the "fair" price from the bicyclebluebook and try not to go up much higher than that. I figure $350 for the bike as is, maybe $70 to $100 for the fork rebuild (you'll need to check that), and $150 to $200 for a new rear shock gets you to the around $600-$650 mark. However thats still more the the bike bluebook max price so the other components better be in good shape.

Just realize that for any used full suspension bike these 3 exact issues will be something that most likely need to be fixed, unless the seller can provide recent maintenance records. Forks and rear shocks are supposed to have maintenance every 30 hours or so according to the service manual and pivots, links and bearings should have maintenance done quite often as well depending on how it is ridden. So even if the bike is only 2 years old, these things would need to be looked at closely.

Good luck and I hope you can use this info to get that price down. If you can, and get these components fixed your wife would have a solid ride that would be easy to maintain going forward.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I have what I think is an '06 cake 2 dlx (it's blue). It was mostly collecting dust for the past few years but I started riding it again this summer and fall. I took the fork apart for it's first oil change and ended up breaking the spring through over torquing. Being that it's ten years old I don't mind buying new shocks but feel the Fox offering, at almost eight hunnerd seems a bit much for this bike. Original fork was 130mm travel so am thinking 140 will work. I'm getting a bit long in the teeth so don't rock out like I used to but just around 200 lbs. Are there any Rockshox offerings that would do the job and not eat my wallet so much?

Apologies for hi-jacking.

Singletrackmac
    I really like my Rock Shox Sektor Gold RL Dual Position Coil. I had a Fox float after my stock fork needed to be replaced, but it was very noodley and I only kept it for one season. I replaced it with a Rock Shox Recon Silver TK which was much stiffer, but it was and Air shock and was for a QR front wheel. Because of my weight i ended up having to put a good amount of PSI in the fork on more extreme rides and that was causing stiction. That plus I wanted to move up to a 15m TA is why I got the Sektor. I still have the recon, but it is on my XC hardtail now.

It's nice and plush and the travel can be adjusted from 120mm to 150mm. It also has low speed compression which comes in handy on more extreme rides. I generally ride at 120mm and switch it to 150mm when it gets rocky or I need some more ground clearance on trail rides. The coil does add a little more weight than the air shock, but it is more plush and the maintenance is easier. Springs are simple. Plus I weigh 240lbs so i really don't care that much about a little extra weight.

The only thing about this fork is that you would need new front hub or wheel that would take a 15mm. They may make an adapter from 15mm to a QR but not sure. I think I paid $400 for the fork, but I did buy it from my LBS and I know you can finder a better price online.

Here is a review: RockShox Sektor RL Dual Position Coil suspension fork review - BikeRadar

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Yes, the Sector does look like a viable option. I checked with LBS and there aren't any more 9's so looks like I will be changing front hub to 15 as well.