mtbr member
    Apr 2007

02 sugar 3 questions

hi guy's, just picked up an 02 sugar 3+ for my wife. we went out for quick ride tonight and she loves it! she was riding right up my ass a few times, so much faster than her old bike! but I think she can love it more once I get some things set up better for her. here are my questions...

-how do I set the rear sag for this bike (cane creek ad-5 air)?

-what is the preferred setting on the Sybil link? (it's in the short travel spot now)

-any suggestions for "must do's" on this bike?

thanks for any feedback

mtbr member
    Are you thinking about adding disks? There is an adapter for the rear. Looks like this:

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    ha ha, yep! I ordered that before I picked up the bike! do you know if 180's will fit on the rear? honestly, the v brakes work great, I hope bb7's are worth the upgrade...

mtbr member
    Don't know for sure, but I would think it would be fine. I'm in the process of rebuilding my '03 Big Sur, including adding BB7s. Right now I'm waiting for my rear wheel to come back from being rebuilt (had some disk wheels in my attic, but the rear had 3 busted spokes). Looking forward to taking it out once I am done. I always wanted to add a better fork (Reba) and disk brakes to this bike, and now I am finally doing it - 10 years later!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    better late than never!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I have a 2001 or 2002 Flipp'n Green Sugar 2+. I run the Sybil link in the 4.1" mode all the time now since I replaced the fork with a new Rock Shock 100mm air. I have been running disc brakes since 2002 and at 190lbs I need them. I have the adapter shown above and you can only run a 160mm rotor, unless there is some other adapter you can add in addition to that one.

After owing this bike forever it got some loving this year in the form of a new fork, SLX cranks, chain, XT shifters, cassette, all new cables, tires, brake levers, brake pads, grips and last but not least a new Could 9 shock from Cane Creek. Runs better than new and I am kicking myself for not changing that crank set 10 years ago. It made the biggest difference of all the stuff I listed. Still a great bike after all these years.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Re: 02 sugar 3 questions

That's awesome! I love bringing old things back to life! My wife loves this bike which great because I was getting ready to spend waaaaaaay more for a new bike for her. I just changed the link to the longer travel setting before the last ride without telling her and she noticed the difference right away. She didn't like it as much because of the added bob. I'm not sure if I should add pressure or put it back in the other slot, but I'll have to do something before we ride again.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Sorry for the slow response. Do check the air pressure, the setup sheet that came with my bike says for air pressure subtract 25-35 psi from the riders weight. I run my shock 155-160 psi and it works great. No bob that I notice and it still soaks up the bumps. As for putting in the shorter travel mode it is so easy to change you can try both and see what she likes. The shock pressure is the same for each mode.