mtbr member
    Dec 2013

WTF is Vera Tera?

MY Nevada 1.6 29er has this garbage.

My rim bent recently going over normal humps on asphalt. Can't even hold my 250 pound body weight.

I googled it and nothing to be found.

I concluded TREK has to be a much better brand since they use a bontragger.

mtbr member
    I have vera tera rims on my Fuji and there holding up superbly. I hit rocks and stumps all the time. That being said I know faulty stuff can happen and Bontragger is not exempt. Also in a lot of cases you pay more for a trek with less features or lower level components. but to each there own.
    Love my FUJI!!!

mtbr member
    I have a 2013 Fuji Nevada 1.3 and the rims are holding up pretty fine on my bike have you tried contacting fuji?

mtbr member
    12-15 miles of trail riding at Alafia and my rims held up!

mtbr member
    Did another 13 miles at trout creek Sunday rims and tires held up great!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Re: WTF is Vera Tera?

Quote Originally Posted by john5220 View Post
    MY Nevada 1.6 29er has this garbage.

My rim bent recently going over normal humps on asphalt. Can't even hold my 250 pound body weight.

I googled it and nothing to be found.

I concluded TREK has to be a much better brand since they use a bontragger.
    If the rim bent, either there is not enough air in the tires, or the spokes were not properly tensioned. The strength of the rim begins with the spokes.

Bontrager is Trek's brand, that's why Trek has it all over their bikes.

mtbr member

Re: WTF is Vera Tera?

Quote Originally Posted by Gibbsinator View Post
    If the rim bent, either there is not enough air in the tires, or the spokes were not properly tensioned. The strength of the rim begins with the spokes.

Bontrager is Trek's brand, that's why Trek has it all over their bikes.
    Well said sir!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    This thread is old, but it needs a dose of honesty applied to it.
    250 lbs is a lot for a bicycle rider. If you think you can put that kind of weight on any bike and then ride it like a madman, you are going to go through a lot of rims. What can you do with the wheels to minimize damage? 1. 36 spokes or more. More spokes make stronger wheels. Even if you have to get a new hub, get 36 spokes. If you can find a 40 spoke hub to fit the bike, the Velocity rims mentioned below come in 40 hole drillings. 40 spokes is getting into tandem range, but so is your weight. 2. Make sure spokes are well, and evenly tensioned. This is important. Don't skimp on it. If you don't know how to do it yourself, pay someone who does know. 3. Use fat tires with proper pressure. The Nevada apparently comes with 2.1 inch tires. Find a good 2.5 inch tire. Pump them up until, when you put your full weight on the bike, both front and back compress about 15%, not more. (At low deflections like this, the bulging out is similar to the compression, so look for a 15% bulge when you put your weight on. For a 2.5" tire, that's a total of 3/8 inch, or 3/16, 4.5 mm each side.) 4. Try a solid rim such as a Velocity Atlas, NoBS or Cliffhanger. Don't be concerning yourself with a few grams on the rim weight. You have more than a few to lose yourself. 5. Unless you are 7 feet tall, you need to loose weight. Your BMI is well over 25. Diabetes, heart disease and kidney failure are a lot bigger worries than bent rims. 6.There are some good custom wheel builders out there. At 250 lbs and hard on rims, you might want to try one. Message me if you want a couple of good names.
    Last edited by 7802mark; 1 Week Ago at 06:44 PM.