Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2007

Why no Fuji love?

Well, my LBS sells Fuji. I've ridden Specialized, Treks, Fishers, etc. all the past month at other LBS's; and just recently hopped on a Nevada 2.0. In the beginning of my hunt for my next steed, I had a budget of $800. Well, since then... I've became a bit gun shy and backed down to $600 max. Yes, I know it's cheaper to spend more up front, but I'm a tinker... and I'll upgrade when components begin to show their weak point or fail.

Anywho... I had full intentions, for going for a Trek / Fisher Advance. I loved the G2 geometry, and I'm coming from a Trek, so I felt good about being loyal. I can obtain an Advance for $515.

I mounted the Nevada 2.0, and it feels very similar to the Fisher's geometry. However, I love the curved chainstays, and the tappered head tube. These features aren't found on the bikes in this price category.

I can get the Fuji for just $500. I'm hesitant though, there's not a lot of followers of Fuji's mtb's. Can anyone shed some light?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I have a 2010 nevada 1.0 and i really enjoy it but i live in iowa so im not riding on any crazy trails. I also dont have much experience with other brands but im still a big fan of my 1.0

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Fuji has a huge following for road bikes, but most do not know about their MTB's. I have a 08 Reveal 2.0 and love it!!! Where I ride I see a ton of Name brand bikes. They are a dime a dozen. Don't get me wrong they are super nice, but I like to be different. I have not seen one Fuji on the trail and love that about my bike. When I get another bike I will definitely buy an off brand again.

As for the quality, Fuji makes great bikes and they usually have good components. Better than most name brands equal value bike. Don't let the name discourage you from being different.

MTBR Member
    The third largest bicycle manufacturer in Taiwan(Ideal Bike Corp.) owns a majority stake in Advanced Sports international, the company that owns the Fuji brand. Ideal makes a lot of bikes for other companies - alongside the Fuji's.

It's hard to put a finger on the stigma that surrounds the Fuji brand. I've sold them before and thought they presented a good value in most cases. I used to own a Fuji Outland 29rc(old model Outland 29er), and really enjoyed that bike. It looks like they really improved the lineup for this year, but I'm sure they are still struggling to sell them. I think it mainly comes down to name recognition.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ftlaudfuji
    Fuji has a huge following for road bikes, but most do not know about their MTB's. I have a 08 Reveal 2.0 and love it!!! Where I ride I see a ton of Name brand bikes. They are a dime a dozen. Don't get me wrong they are super nice, but I like to be different. I have not seen one Fuji on the trail and love that about my bike. When I get another bike I will definitely buy an off brand again.

As for the quality, Fuji makes great bikes and they usually have good components. Better than most name brands equal value bike. Don't let the name discourage you from being different.
    I've been riding Fuji bikes for over a decade, and I consider them to be "Name Brand". Fuji is one of the most recognizable names in both mountain and road biking. I think it's great that you get a kick out of being the only person in your area who rides a Fuji, but trust me, they are out there on the same single tracks and bike lanes that you ride.

I never feel "different" or "discouraged" that I'm riding a Fuji. I feel bad for the other suckers who spent twice as much on an inferior Specialized, GT, Fisher, etc.
    Fuji Thrill hardtail SS

mtbr member
    May 2011
    my lbs sells mainly fuji. As you can tell in my signature, I am a loyal follower of Fuji. I too am considering buying a Fuji Nevada 2.0. Keep us updated on what you decide and why. For the price, I personally don't think you can beat Fuji's quality
    '14 Specialized Hard Rock Sport Disc 29
    '14 Trek Skye (Wife)
    '12 Specialized Crux Skittles
    '13 Specialized Allez Compact

mtbr member
    I just yesterday bought a 2011 Fuji Outland 29er 2.0 from my LBS. I too felt the same thing about Fuji, not knowing if they were good bike or are like the walmart mongoose. Now I got this bike as my second bike, I have a Mongoose Teocali (not walmart mongoose lol)(pics here post #321: post your mongoose ) that I upgraded a lot so far. The front fork started topping out and instead of getting that upgraded just yet I bought the Fuji. I figured I wanted to try a 29er anyway and having 2 bikes will be great when I have to put the goose in the shop and I can still ride. My biggest fear is not being able to ride until the repairs are done, so thats my logic for buying a 2nd bike. I will let you know how I like it when its built and in my grubby little hands. I am already used to people coming up to me and saying, "man, thats a mongoose? Does'nt look like the mongoose I see at walmart". So any stigma with the Fuji I could care less about, as long as its a solid and high end bike, which like my goose I am sure it is.
    Tie two birds together and though they have four wings, they cannot fly!

LOL WUT?
    I work at a fuji retailer and the nevadas are pretty killer bikes for the money. We have some 4.0 and 5.0 models and they are super value bikes. I ride a tahoe 3.0 and am in love with it so far.

mtbr member
    Two months ago a friend of mine persuaded me to get a MTB to commute to work and drive around rather than wasting 20+ minutes on stationary bikes in gyms.

I went to the bike shop he recommended to me, a guy asked me what kind of rides will I be doing, I told him I want to go to work everyday, hit off road from time to time, explore places etc...

He asked me what is my budget, I told him 500$ because I was a total novice in the MTB land and I "didnt believe" in expensive bikes, since the last bike I owned was when I was a kid, so a bike was "just a bike" for me.

He pulled out white Fuji Nevada 4.0 bike, gave me a ride, I liked it from the get go and now I ride it daily, got over 300 miles in a month and a half or so.

So, by sheer chance I'm now a Fuji fanboy, what can I say
    Squaring the circles.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I Ride Fuji for one year now. FUJI TAHOE 2.0. so far..I love my Fuji..better than my Specialized Rockhopper. The handling is quite good.and the weight is quite light compare to others (same categories).

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Any long term thoughts on the 2011 Outland 29er 2.0?

This bike is on my list.

They only had the 3.0 at my local Performance Bike shop. Not exactly a fair comparison to the GT Sensor 29er Expert, which is also on my list.

mtbr member
    So far its been stellar. Put 204.25 mountain miles on it since July 16, 2011 and only took it in for its initial adjustment from new and a rear wheel trueing. The rocks here were beating the hell out of it and bent the rim to where it was rubbing the front derailleur . No big deal, new wheels need adjustment anyways because the spokes loosen up during the first few rides I hear.

Been great though, and I have not upgraded anything yet except the grips (stock ones = ) which is really against my style, but I spent a crap load on my teocali and now barely ride it

The stock tires are still gripping, but there is significant signs of wear and do notice some slippage compared to when they were newer, but they still do fine. Everything else still works and looks perfect except I put a tear/hole in the seat yesterday during an unfortunate arse-over-bars excursion on to the rocks. But thats the only carnage to the bike. Still love it, but still going to add a Yeti FS 29er if/when they come out with one. 3 bikes in the stable should be enough...Right?
    Tie two birds together and though they have four wings, they cannot fly!

S*it Happens!
    There is nothing wrong with the brand Fuji. Everything that makes a good brand / bike seems to be in place. The frames look to be nicely crafted. The components are the same as any other brand name. So what's not to like?

They have a long history cycling. They are sold in brick n mortar along side all others and not at Walmart....thank god!

It may have more to do with advertising or the lack of then anything. However, those in the know, recognize good bike when they see it.

My Fuji.

-_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)
    Like life…the trail is unpredictable...

mtbr member
    See below.
    Last edited by 3PunchCombo; 11-27-2011 at 10:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Sorry for the post above. I was typing on my ipod, and it submitted accidentally. I've been riding on my local trails about 3 times a week for the past few months and have seen one Fuji MTB other than mine. Like a post above, I love the fact that I have a bike no one else has on the trails.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I just got a fuji tahoe 29 2.0. I love hearing, "what kind of bike is that?"

psycho cyclo addict
    I have an '09 Tahoe SL and it has been totally awesome.

【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

mtbr member
    I love my fuji MTB I've had several, the Mt. Fuji Pro Carbon Hardtail, Reveal 1.0 and my current bikes are two Tahoe 29er SLs on set up rigid SS and the other is a 2 x 9 hardtail, I just finished my Outland 29er RC build which I've been putting together for about a year now. I have friends who ride much more expensive bikes like Titus, Ellisworth and so on when they get on my Fujis they are amazed. In fact one buddy is waiting to ride the Outland 29er RC cause he was so impressed with my Reveal 1.0. Fuji road bike get planty of love from me too I have a few of those as well.

Last edited by hanjin; 11-30-2011 at 07:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Are the older Fujis (05 ish area) as good / reliable as the newer Fujis? Assuming the Bike hasn't been abused and is in like new condition?

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by hanjin View Post
    I love my fuji MTB I've had several, the Mt. Fuji Pro Carbon Hardtail, Reveal 1.0 and my current bikes are two Tahoe 29er SLs on set up rigid SS and the other is a 2 x 9 hardtail, I just finished my Outland 29er RC build which I've been putting together for about a year now. I have friends who ride much more expensive bikes like Titus, Ellisworth and so on when they get on my Fujis they are amazed...
    Nice rides. I have a blast on my Tahoe SL... my other ride is an '09 Turner Sultan Got a heck of a deal on it so I couldn't pass it up. I got a killer deal on my '09 Tahoe SL too (posted to the $1-2k thread a while back about it... I paid like $420 shipping included for the stock bike 1-year old used condition and spent < $600 on a good wheelset and a few other things).

Zai
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I live in OKC and I bought a Fuji Nevada 3.0. I upgraded the will set so that I am have disc brakes and handlebars. So far I have not regretted my choice. I have started to see Fujis on the the trails now. My first bike was a 2008 Giant Rincon and this may not have been an upgrade from that bike. But it has felt much better on the rails for me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by entrl View Post
    Are the older Fujis (05 ish area) as good / reliable as the newer Fujis? Assuming the Bike hasn't been abused and is in like new condition?
    Fuji bikes will be like any other brands..... the reliability of an older model will all depend on how hard they were ridden and how well they were cared for.

I had an 05 Fuji Diamond RC (Fuji's full suspension race bike that year) which I loved and babied. It looked like it was new when I finally sold it this past fall. I had no problem telling any potential purchaser who asked that they would have no problems with the bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I wondered why we only have in total 173 threads in the Fuji forum. I just got a Fuji bike from craigslist, and everyone has been telling me Fuji is really good... but i guess there's not a lot of people with Fuji bikes?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepunity View Post
    Any long term thoughts on the 2011 Outland 29er 2.0?

This bike is on my list.

They only had the 3.0 at my local Performance Bike shop. Not exactly a fair comparison to the GT Sensor 29er Expert, which is also on my list.
    I love my fuji Outland 2.0. This bike is one of the first products that I thoroughly enjoy and have no problems with at all.
    I run this bike through the ringer and it just keeps on ticking.
    I have a giant 26 inch hard tail to compare it with but that's all.
    I have re found my love for the trails.
    Go get one
    "Stay ready so you don't have to get ready"-Will Smith

Mark

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I love my 2004 Fuji Nevada Cross. I've had it for over 8 years now. It's been through hell and back. It's never been tuned. It's been on experienced technical mountain trails and it's still running. It doesn't shift as smoothly and the brakes are worn but nothing I can't fix.

It's not the best but it's taken a lot of abuse and it's still fine. To me this is why Fuji will always have my respect. I hope no one here on this forum feels ashamed of owning a Fuji just because it's not popular on these forums.

I still own my Fuji but I did end up getting a Scott Aspect 29er. After hearing a lot about 29ers I wanted to get one. Fuji makes them but they were not available at my LBS. I could have waited and had it ordered but I fell in love with the Scott 29er.

Don't worry, I'm still using and riding the Fuji.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast